blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 488088 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2011, 02:07:31 AM »

If you can't replace Fergie with an all time great manager what do you think of the director of football/coach approach which seems to be the future for clubs who can't all have a 10 year plus great manger?
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:58 AM »

TBH  i dont really support man yooo
i did when i was a kid but i dont support anyone know foot ball bores me slightly not as exciting as it used to be.
i went to old trafford once
thought it was shit never wanna go again unless its a super big game

Just me
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26:12 AM »

In all seriousness have no idea why people get wound up by United fans being from all over

Why care so much?
Because you should support where you come from. That's the whole point. The club is representing your city/town/village etc. I know people move around a lot more these days but there is a disproportionate amount of scum fans everywhere just because sad individuals need to support the best team.
Support your local team or the team passed on to you from generation to generation. If you want to support winners just look at the results at 5 then watch match of the day and cheer on the teams you know go on to win.

This.......and that's why football generates so much passion.  I feel I have to do my bit to keep the family tradition going......it's in your blood and it aint gonna go away!

So if you don't come from Manchester, and your parents don't come from Manchester but they do support Manchester United - then it's allowed for you to support them because you're following the family tradition?

And Man U have only been super successful  for about 20 years - so anyone supporting them for longer than that isn't doing it for glory hunting presumably?
Are they let off not living in Manchester, or is that not allowed - even if they weren't just following the trophies to start with?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »

In all seriousness have no idea why people get wound up by United fans being from all over

Why care so much?
Because you should support where you come from. That's the whole point. The club is representing your city/town/village etc. I know people move around a lot more these days but there is a disproportionate amount of scum fans everywhere just because sad individuals need to support the best team.
Support your local team or the team passed on to you from generation to generation. If you want to support winners just look at the results at 5 then watch match of the day and cheer on the teams you know go on to win.

Where does it say your supposed to support the team where your from? Surely it's up to the individual.

In the name of the team.

There probably some perfectly logical reasons to supporting a club from a different place to the one that you were born, grew up in or live in. I'd probably find it hard not to support Man U if "Lee Sharpe was the first Merlin sticker I ever got" or "when I was holding a fork one dinner time my Dad said I looked like the Man U mascot" or I had a red lunch box at school etc

It's never the trophies though.

So what if people wanna follow a successful team?
I think everyone wants to follow a successful team don't they?

To truly appreciate success you must have suffered failure, disappointment and heartache.

I admire the way Arsenal play football, but the complete outrage of some of their supporters because they haven't won a trophy since 2005 is pathetic.

Have to say that having watched Arsenal through the 70's I like the current situation

I enjoyed the invincibles time too as we stuck it right in United's eye but overall I like tht we don't win every week - it does develop the feeling of entitlement and a wrong kind of disappointment when you dont win that is very far from being a terrce supporter.

The way we play, the reltively sound financial situation are great triumphs in a terribly cynical time and personally, since the Champs league went 4 places and the cups became devalued I'm pretty content if we look good, retain great players, finish in the top4 and win fk all else

Most exciting recent season was when Spurs nearly pipped us to 4th place

sola virtus nobilitat
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »

I am actually grateful I don't support one of the mega clubs. Any little bit of success my club achieves means the world to me, I can't imagine that it would mean as much if my club won a trophy every year or expected to. The highs supporting a smaller club are massive as most of it is mediocre or worse.

I think I am bit of a sadist tbh, even when I got to have my pick of the crop when it came to US sports teams. I ended supporting one that hasn't made the Superbowl in the 25 years I have followed them and one that hasn't won the World series in over a century. It is going to be fking sweet when they do win something!

Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »

More medium term how do you think you'll cope when financial fair play kicks in?

This is an interesting question. And deserves some thought imo.

As far as I can make out Man Utd don't have any debt - it's the owners who have the debt and use Man Utd's profits to finance their borrowings. The exact reverse to Man City & Chelski who have enormous mounds of debts which are just paid off by their rich owners.

Whilst this is a huge problem for Man Utd in terms of buying players and strengthening the squad i don't think they would fall foul of the proposed regulations as they make a profit each year and have a very low wages/turnover ratio.

I haven't studied it in much depth though so could be completely wrong.

And no I'm not a Man Utd fan but I don't hate them either. I save my vitriol for more worthy targets.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »

How does it feel to be out the cup in the 4th round?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Why care so much?

This.......and that's why football generates so much passion.  I feel I have to do my bit to keep the family tradition going......it's in your blood and it aint gonna go away!

So if you don't come from Manchester, and your parents don't come from Manchester but they do support Manchester United - then it's allowed for you to support them because you're following the family tradition?

And Man U have only been super successful  for about 20 years - so anyone supporting them for longer than that isn't doing it for glory hunting presumably?
Are they let off not living in Manchester, or is that not allowed - even if they weren't just following the trophies to start with?

They can do what they like, and fair play for following the family tradition, but in these types of cases, I just can't see where the passion comes from for the individual.
I suppose it's different for me as I was born in Nottingham, still live in Notts, and the whole family follow Forest.  When we lose it bloody hurts....I can't help it...it just does.

I just can't relate to the Man Utd fans who live all over, and have never been to the games.  When they lose, does it really pain these fans, probably not, they just go "oh well" but most fans suffer many many lows and you just can't buy supporting your local, lowly team for which you "feel" is a real part of you.

Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »

How does it feel to be out the cup in the 4th round?

Not applicable
 Smiley
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »

According to the Premier League's Fan Survey for 2007/2008 (the most recent I could find with this specific measure) the distance lived from the ground has been steadily increasing

Distance lived from the ground
On average, supporters live 49 miles from the
club stadium, compared to a 47-mile average
last year and 45 the year before that –
supporting your favourite football club would
appear to be becoming more of a long-distance
occupation for some. Indeed, one in five
supporters (18%) now lives over 100 miles
away from their club
– reinforcing this idea of
the strong pull of Premier League clubs.

Manchester United fans, according to this survey, lived, on average 78 miles from Old Trafford. Manchester City fans travel just over the average at 50 miles, and Arsenal just under at 48.

You'd think that 78 miles would put United at the top of the league in this respect, but one club has fans who, on average, come from further afield...

P32 Figure 5.4 if you want to know which club that is.  http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/67/f8/0,,12306~129127,00.pdf
You may be surprised

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

According to the Premier League's Fan Survey for 2007/2008 (the most recent I could find with this specific measure) the distance lived from the ground has been steadily increasing

away from their club

Manchester United fans, according to this survey, lived, on average 78 miles from Old Trafford. Manchester City fans travel just over the average at 50 miles, and Arsenal just under at 48.

You'd think that 78 miles would put United at the top of the league in this respect, but one club has fans who, on average, come from further afield...

P32 Figure 5.4 if you want to know which club that is.  http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/67/f8/0,,12306~129127,00.pdf
You may be surprised

I think there was another survey which showed that there were a larger number of Man U season ticket holders who lived in the Manchester area than there was of of Man City season ticket holders.

I was going to post something about that earlier when somebody suggested something along the lines of actual Mancunians supporting City but I still can't find the actual report to back it up.

But basically if you happen to meet a football fan from Manchester - they're most likely to be a Man U supporter

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »

away from their club

You may be surprised

Not suprised at all.....my money was on either Liverpoo or Chelski

Good article that one.

I like the bit which states "this reinforces the strong pull of Premier League teams" made me lol.  I'm glad I support my home town club where I was born.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »

+1 to not surprised. I assumed it'd be liverpool so tuned in for the surprise and was disappointed to be correct

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »

Also don't think there's many people on here who are in a position to judge- u all have season tickets do you?

yes thanks, so does that mean I can judge?

I'd actually say most people who've posted on here up to now also have STs or attend games regularly

I've lived in the North East for 7 years now, and this is the first season I've let my season ticket lapse.

FML that this is this the most successful season for nearly 30 years!

How much of this do you attribute to your changing your 'stars avatar?

Almost completly.

Shouldn't you being watching the NFL?

Exciting finish!

7.5 pts. should be enough, although it should really be all over.

Philly will go for 2 if they happen to score, so it isn't all over quite yet...

I'm still puzzled over why they would have gone for two if they'd have scored.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »

Pretty sure it's against the club. I'll read up later.

More medium term how do you think you'll cope when financial fair play kicks in?

This is an interesting question. And deserves some thought imo.

As far as I can make out Man Utd don't have any debt - it's the owners who have the debt and use Man Utd's profits to finance their borrowings. The exact reverse to Man City & Chelski who have enormous mounds of debts which are just paid off by their rich owners.

Whilst this is a huge problem for Man Utd in terms of buying players and strengthening the squad i don't think they would fall foul of the proposed regulations as they make a profit each year and have a very low wages/turnover ratio.

I haven't studied it in much depth though so could be completely wrong.

And no I'm not a Man Utd fan but I don't hate them either. I save my vitriol for more worthy targets.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: