blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  GUKPT Walsall: The Final
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUKPT Walsall: The Final  (Read 72032 times)
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:50 AM »

Well Played to everyone on the final table, and congratulations to Alan Mansbridge for winning what many seasoned pro's would love to have on their mantlepiece, a GUKPT trophy.

Whereas I really wanted simon to win from 3way (and my friends Nick and Ben - one of whom i had a decent financial interest in would have like to see them do well as well) I thought simon prolly played the best poker of the field and is well deserving of a title imo.

But I have a huge amount of respect for the "nonprofessional" recreational player, who ponies up the £1,000 or binks a satellite and sits down with players like Ben and Simon and takes them on, very few other activities would see an amateur take on very talented professionals and this is one of the things that makes poker such a great sport IMO

Fair to say he prolly hit a few cards along the way but he handled himself very well from what I saw, and as disappointed as I am that Simon couldn't take the title, I am very pleased for him, and we should all be congratulating him as it's a fantastic achievement, one of which I am jealous off.

Excellent post.
+1 to the congrats for the winner..... awesome achievement and from Tighty's post seems like a really genuine guy.

Felt a bit sick for Simon, but at the end of the day reputation and bankroll both well bolstered, so all's good.
WP to Nick and Scotty too.
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »

Absolutely fantastic updates guys, it's an amazing effort over the three long days.

To be honest, my general observation sometimes on Blonde is that it's easy to belittle someone who people feel hasn't played "techincally" well. Whilst noone would mean it in a negative way at all, it would be understandable for the player in question to feel a bit offended. It’s sometimes difficult to see the thin line between people simply observing that they thought some of  the plays were bad, and people acting with disdain towards the actual person. In short, it's easy to see why he might take it personally.

To be honest, I felt this far more strongly in the DTD update where the guy was criticised for folding AK face up. However, I think we all on Blonde would hope that anyone at the final table might read the comments, and should probably act assuming that they will.

I don't mean it at all as a criticism of Blonde, as I'm absolutely sure this would be the case on any forum, and definitely way more so on something like two plus two. In fact, I’m sure it would happen on a forum built around any shared interest at all, not just poker. I just think this is such a positive and friendly forum, that we can extend it to everyone.

I think what makes poker so much fun is that people will come to it from all different angles, and with different levels of experience. Many many congrats to him, it's a great achievement. He must have got lucky to win the torunament, but only because anyone who wins a tournament does, but he must also have played with a fair amount of skill along the way.

Poker is made by its stories. To be honest, I think us young 'uns (I'll knock off a few years and include myself!) should realise that we actually have a very boring story. We have not worked many hours in a proper job in our lives; we have got lucky along the way; we have put in hundreds of hours of playing  online, so much that it would be tough for us not to be at least decent at the game; we probably don't realise how lucky we are, and the amounts of money involved don’t make much of an interesting difference in our lives.

This guy will have played a tiny fraction of the bank of hands that we’ve played; he’s driven the cab he works in during the week to Walsall, had the balls to put down a grand of his money, held his nerve, played well, albeit unconventionally sometimes, and scooped the lot. That’s a great story, hats off to him.
mouth

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »

Like you said Tighty, we don't mean offence by our comments, it's because we're passionate about supporting our friends. Sounds like a humble guy who's made a great achievement. I'm very sure people like Simon, Nick and Bens time will come, it just wasn't today

Not all that humble if he bought in direct for 1K. But yes, congrats Smiley Ofc Blonde members and friends/contemporaries of members will always be railed and supported more than relative unknowns. I'm sure he got much more support than Ben did on the London Cabbies Chat Board, swings and roundabouts.

Don't tell her to turn down, put on your shades if you can't see
Don't tell her to turn down, turn up the flame.

http://gobshiteonlegs.blogspot.com/
Djinn

I'm much bigger in real life

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2011, 01:19:39 AM »

Ah Stu, you should have been a politician.

I just want to add my agreement when you all note the sheer hours put in here by Tighty and Supernova - I was sub-ing for Peter Leeper and haven't covered a GUKPT in ages - now that there's a double flight groundhog Day 1 it's pretty intense. 

Also DMorgan is a gent, probably the only player who's said they're going to help all day, and actually did. 

PS He's still in the £100 Bounty Tournament at time of posting, with 5 left.  Let's just say there's reason to be hopeful.

Congrats all finalists I spoke to today, a pleasure meeting you all.

Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »

Absolutely fantastic updates guys, it's an amazing effort over the three long days.

To be honest, my general observation sometimes on Blonde is that it's easy to belittle someone who people feel hasn't played "techincally" well. Whilst noone would mean it in a negative way at all, it would be understandable for the player in question to feel a bit offended. It’s sometimes difficult to see the thin line between people simply observing that they thought some of  the plays were bad, and people acting with disdain towards the actual person. In short, it's easy to see why he might take it personally.

To be honest, I felt this far more strongly in the DTD update where the guy was criticised for folding AK face up. However, I think we all on Blonde would hope that anyone at the final table might read the comments, and should probably act assuming that they will.

I don't mean it at all as a criticism of Blonde, as I'm absolutely sure this would be the case on any forum, and definitely way more so on something like two plus two. In fact, I’m sure it would happen on a forum built around any shared interest at all, not just poker. I just think this is such a positive and friendly forum, that we can extend it to everyone.

I think what makes poker so much fun is that people will come to it from all different angles, and with different levels of experience. Many many congrats to him, it's a great achievement. He must have got lucky to win the torunament, but only because anyone who wins a tournament does, but he must also have played with a fair amount of skill along the way.

Poker is made by its stories. To be honest, I think us young 'uns (I'll knock off a few years and include myself!) should realise that we actually have a very boring story. We have not worked many hours in a proper job in our lives; we have got lucky along the way; we have put in hundreds of hours of playing  online, so much that it would be tough for us not to be at least decent at the game; we probably don't realise how lucky we are, and the amounts of money involved don’t make much of an interesting difference in our lives.

This guy will have played a tiny fraction of the bank of hands that we’ve played; he’s driven the cab he works in during the week to Walsall, had the balls to put down a grand of his money, held his nerve, played well, albeit unconventionally sometimes, and scooped the lot. That’s a great story, hats off to him.

+1

@whollyflush on twitter
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:18 AM »

Big +1

I was told that he was actually really upset about it and I feel pretty bad. I probably come across as one of the worst in this thread but anyone that knows me understands that I'd never actually wish any ill will on the guy and it was all mainly just poking fun

With Ben as a Firm player and knowing Simon and Nick for a while I obv really wanted one of them to win it and the other guys were kinda caught in the firing line

Congrats to him and he definitely gets the last laugh sitting on his mountain of money!!

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2011, 04:52:50 AM »

Taxi driver wins DTD £300 after sattying in and driving down in his cab. Well if mansbridge can....

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2011, 06:01:38 AM »

cue the staking post
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »

+10000000000000
BAM

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »

Thank you Stuart you saved me a lot of time and effort by posting this and you have been a shade more diplomatic than I would have been.

It appalls and saddens me sometimes when I read a bad critique of a persons play by another person when that person is clearly doing it to try and make himself look good.  The criticiser is also missing a ton of information, we dont know what he has locked in from 3 days of playing these same guys etc etc he just wades in and slags him because he makes a play he doesn't like but wtf has it to do with them he's paid his money he can play however he likes.   I also get sick of this theory that if you have grey hair and dont wear a hoody you cannot play poker (say all the young guns booing from the rail after busting early day 1 when getting looked up 6 bet shoving with J3).  Maybe with the poker coaching these sites should add humility and manners on to the syllabus.  

Having played with the winner and chatted with him at breaks etc I found him to be a fairly decent player, very analytical, quite composed but most of all a very nice guy and when I saw he made the final I obvioulsy put a monkey on him to win with Trigg.  He did something we all failed at and won a GUK title so hats off to him and I hope he sticks it in the doubters eye by winning another title soon.

littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »

wp to the winner ul simon and nick

it makes me laugh when some of the people that make these comments have never played a £1k comp in there life,this guy works hard(do you realise how many hours london cabbies put in?)put his own money in and deserves to win as much as the next guy.

nice post mr.rutter
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »

Press release

London cabbie Andy Mansbridge has beaten a field of 172 players to take the title at GUKPT Walsall, along with top prize of £50,000!

Having been the lowest stack in the tournament the night before, he staged the most dramatic comeback ever seen on the tour to climb from the very bottom of the chip counts to end up as the last man standing.

“I hadn’t booked a hotel – I wasn’t expecting to make it,” admitted the soft-spoken poker enthusiast, as he was waiting to collect his winnings.  Happy to be improving and taking on the Grosvenor UK Poker Tour in the future, he posed for photos in his cab before driving it back to London where he plans to play the very next day.  He beat Martin Holmes heads up after nearly six hours on the final table, which also featured Nick Hicks, Simon Deadman and Ryan Spittles.

FULL REPORT: Mansbridge the Cabbie Comeback King Beats 127-Strong Field (and Two Suited Jokers)

The £1,000 GUKPT Walsall Main Event started twice on Friday 29th April.  The first flight took their seats to the incongruous strains of the Royal Wedding music. There were 97 runners in all playing at midday, including Dave Colclough, Mike Hill, Paul Jackson, Sunny Chattha, Allan Mclean and GUKPT sponsored pro Stuart Rutter.  Rutter’s friend Ben Jenkins was also playing Day 1a, and they were noticeably more sharply dressed than normal.  It turns out that side action is underway on the circuit revolving around which of the two will make the top three in a £100+ buy-in tournament first (and only when one has done it can they retire the suits and ties).  While Rutter narrowly failed to cash, Jenkins made it all the way to the final table, winning £6,450 for his 7th place finish, and nearly winning his bet too.

The second flight starting at 6pm on the same day attracted 75 players, including many previous GUKPT champions.  Among them were Jerome Bradpiece, Mike Ellis and Praz Bansi who all made deep runs into Day 2.  The latter especially was responsible for some of the most spectacular pots (and outdraws) and came close to making back-to-back final tables, finishing 15th winning £2,150.

Eight levels were played by each starting group, and when the dust had settled a total of 65 players remained.  The biggest stacks emerging from the two flights belonged to Daniel Stanway and Steven Warburton, both just shy of 100,000.

Day 2 combined the field and quickly dispersed it – the eliminations came thick and fast until the three-table stage; with the prize money in sight play slowed for a level or so.  The leaders at the end of the first day did not make the final table - however four of the eventual finalists started the day in the top ten and never looked back.

Once he’d reached the giddy heights of the chip lead, Simon Deadman proved difficult to knock back down.  He was responsible for many an elimination late on Day 2, wielding his stack like a sledgehammer, taking on short stacks without fear of a real dent.  Picking up a good number of hands didn’t hurt – in his own words, “I’m just a card rack.”

Card rack or not, the accomplished Deadman was firmly in control after the bubble burst (Sen Man Ung finishing in unpaid 18th spot) and ended up leading the final table when Day 3 started with a 666,900 stack.   Just prior to this, Greg Hunt had busted out in 19th place, disappointed to have just missed out on a cash, but having won the GUKPT Online Shoal Survivor contest by being the last online qualifier standing in the tournament.  He won a £1,500 GUKPT tournament prize package to spend playing at other stops on the Tour.

The final table began at a sprint, with Nick Hicks enjoying the first of what were to be multiple double-ups while Craig Burgess ran nines into Martin Holmes’ queens preflop to finish 9th.  Thereafter, however, it ran like London buses: quickly, efficiently and with regular progression.  Just kidding – three whole levels passed before Adrian Eley, Ben Jenkins and Ryan Spittles exited in quick succession.  Eley and Jenkins were shorter stacks, losing preflop confrontations (Jenkins actually to Spittles), but Spittles himself ran one of the boldest bluffs of the final table – called by an equally fearless Alan Mansbridge.

Mansbridge called all three streets with -8c (top pair on the flop) and although the turn brought an ace and the river paired threes, he found the call for over 200,000 when Spittles gave it his last shot all-in with -7c – no pair, nine-high.  This postflop tenacity characterised Mansbridge’s rise from the short stack at the start of the day to the chip lead five-handed.

Fighting through several all-ins and hairy moments as the aggressive short-stack, Nick Hicks finally exited in 5th place (£10,320) when he lost a race with AQ vs. the JJ of Martin Holmes.  Danny Toffel, who’d once built ramparts of chips, finally exited, forced to move all in by his shortness of stack.  He won £13,330 for his efforts and 4th place finish.

Three handed, the final table reverted to doubling the all in short stack each time he was at risk.  While Alan Mansbridge sat on his million chips, Simon Deadman and Martin Holmes passed a half-million chunk of chips back and forth no fewer than three times.  In each instance Deadman had the best hand when the money went in preflop (two dominating aces and on 88 vs. A3) but only won when he was all in.

In his final hand, Deadman threebet all in over the top of Alan Mansbridge who took a long, hard thought time to make the call with A9.  Deadman’s KQ suited failed to get there after an intriguing 7-J-T flop, and he finished 3rd, taking home £21,930.

Heads up, Mansbridge had the chip advantage, and one hand turned it into an insurmountable one for his opponent Martin Holmes.  The bare minimum of chips had gone in until the turn of a -Th-Jd-Kc board, when Holmes’ check-raise prompted a threebet, shove and call, Holmes’ -4d failing to improve beyond the flopped straight (-9d) of Mansbridge.

Now with a 4:1 lead, Mansbridge picked off Holmes with K-7 vs. A-J, spiking a seven which ended the tournament, awarding the £34,830 runner-up prize to Holmes and £50,000 to the London cabbie who came back the day before without bothering to extend his hotel booking, so low was his stack.

Making the final, he still felt no pressure. “I wasn’t nervous – I hadn’t got enough chips to be nervous!”  By the time he’d gone from ten big blind short stack to second place, momentum carried him calmly onwards to the win.

Expect to see a newly-confident Alan  Mansbridge gracing the London clubs in which he cut his teeth, and perhaps at the next GUKPT event – the Brighton and Dundee Summer Series running from the 11th-15th of May.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

Big +1

I was told that he was actually really upset about it and I feel pretty bad. I probably come across as one of the worst in this thread but anyone that knows me understands that I'd never actually wish any ill will on the guy and it was all mainly just poking fun

With Ben as a Firm player and knowing Simon and Nick for a while I obv really wanted one of them to win it and the other guys were kinda caught in the firing line

Congrats to him and he definitely gets the last laugh sitting on his mountain of money!!
just read this and think there is a lot of hypocrits on here dan. i post a tongue in cheek " get the updates right" to a guy i know and who i know 100% know he knew i was joking. i thought it was banter and hoped you did just like the facebook stuff. people will have to get used to the  "technically best guy " not winning because this is poker and dreams get shattered. i would have loved nick to win because he deserves it  or simon because he is playing awesome these last few months but it was not to be. i felt bad for the guy  who has had the best result of his life and all this site did was take the piss out of his style of play to a point were his mates were texting him whislt he was playing to inform him. he felt badly enough about it to bring it up with tighty afterwards and for him to actually take down the event with all that shit going on just shows how good a result it was for him. so pleased i aint in the clique and never want to be.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »

it makes me laugh when some of the people that make these comments have never played a £1k comp in there life,this guy works hard(do you realise how many hours london cabbies put in?)put his own money in and deserves to win as much as the next guy.

no offence at all but I get a bit tilted by this side of the argument cos I think its irrelevant persoanlly
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:29:58 AM by SuuPRlim » Logged

littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:59 AM »

no offence at all but I get here but I get a bit tilted by this side of the argument cos I think its irrelevant persoanlly
My point is he works hard decides he wants to put that hard earned money in a comp and has as much right ad anyone else to win it regardless of how he plays.don't think he deserved some of the comments esp from people that don't put their money where there mouth is lol.

No offence taken just my opinion :-)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: