blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  GUKPT Walsall: The Final
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUKPT Walsall: The Final  (Read 72031 times)
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »

Well played, well done, the cabbie - it gives hope to the rest of us 'mere mortals'    .....

the rage

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »

You pays your money, you takes your chance.
Big congratulations to Alan Mansbridge.
Reigning GUKPT Champion.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »

All I'm saying is Jase you can't now turnaround and say "not fair everyone's having a go at this guy" when you're the first to make a comment/take the piss in jest

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »

but it must surely be good for poker that the average guy wins sometimes (look at the moneymaker effect) and encourages others to take a shot. the worst thing in the world would be for everyone to want to learn to play perfect poker so they dont get slagged on this site.

I completely agree that for the longevity of the game we could probably do with more Alan Mansbridges winning majors but depending on who is saying it, this can mean completely different things

When inexperienced/recreational players say that its 'good for the game' they mean that it creates good stories and sees his family well and shines a positive light on the game in the eyes of those outside poker.

When professional players say that its 'good for the game' that Alan wins and not Simon the statment tends to be out of self interest because the game becomes ever so slightly more lucrative because

(a) More inexperienced players are likekly to play these tournaments because they think they have a shot
(b) The pros are more likely to see at least some of that £50k again if Alan wins than if Simon does (unless some wedding cake gets donated to Blonde of course Wink)

I dunno, maybe you and lildave are different creatures but I can safely say that for the vast majority of pros they are more happy to see Alan win for reasons of self interest than because its a feel-good story and I don't deny that I'm one of them.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

All I'm saying is Jase you can't now turnaround and say "not fair everyone's having a go at this guy" when you're the first to make a comment/take the piss in jest
yes for sure george. if you give it you gotta be able to take it. but i thought we should have been impartial as bloggers ( members can say what they like) and the comments seemed to offend alan (who i dont know from adam) and i am sure that was not intended

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »

If Gukpt Walsall is a "major", how many majors are in poker? 20+ in UK? 50+ in europe? 100+ in world? Its just another bog standard ( edited from mickey mouse cos perhaps unfair) event and gl to the winner, at the end of the day in a months time no-one will even remember who won. Yes he is probably terrible but luckily terrible players win tournaments all the time otherwise we wouldnt have a livelyhood! But he is probably a nicer bloke than us poor poker players that are bitter hateful individuals after years of it
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »

but it must surely be good for poker that the average guy wins sometimes (look at the moneymaker effect) and encourages others to take a shot. the worst thing in the world would be for everyone to want to learn to play perfect poker so they dont get slagged on this site.

I completely agree that for the longevity of the game we could probably do with more Alan Mansbridges winning majors but depending on who is saying it, this can mean completely different things

When inexperienced/recreational players say that its 'good for the game' they mean that it creates good stories and sees his family well and shines a positive light on the game in the eyes of those outside poker.

When professional players say that its 'good for the game' that Alan wins and not Simon the statment tends to be out of self interest because the game becomes ever so slightly more lucrative because

(a) More inexperienced players are likekly to play these tournaments because they think they have a shot
(b) The pros are more likely to see at least some of that £50k again if Alan wins than if Simon does (unless some wedding cake gets donated to Blonde of course Wink)

I dunno, maybe you and lildave are different creatures but I can safely say that for the vast majority of pros they are more happy to see Alan win for reasons of self interest than because its a feel-good story and I don't deny that I'm one of them.
Yes I'd agree with that completely Dan.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »

dan i see simon regular and know he is a top man in the same mould as george2loose nick hicks etc (there will only ever be one julian tho) so want him to  win the thing. no matter if him ben nick or bin laden won i dont think they should be left with a sour taste due to this blog.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »

if you can post a couple of instances were i've slagged people off i will gladly pay for tightys next blog again

I've not seen you do it on blonde and tbh I can't remember specific incidents well enough to post them here but the point that I'm trying to illustrate is that everyone slags off other players. Minus the 2-3% of the field that are playing purely for fun and are well aware they have very little shot at going deep in the tournament, everyone thinks that they are better than average against the field and that they have a good shot to make some money in live tournaments otherwise they wouldn't play.

Even when you're just on a tournament break and you tell people about hands (not you specifically i'm talking poker players in general) its perfectly natural to accuse people of making bad plays and  it doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person for doing it, but saying that you never do is just looking at yourself through rose tinted glasses imo

well done last night and luke too. Wink

Cheers Smiley

I eagerly await the addition on my hendon mob page so you'll acknowledge my existence next time I see you Tongue

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

If Gukpt Walsall is a "major", how many majors are in poker? 20+ in UK? 50+ in europe? 100+ in world? Its just another bog standard ( edited from mickey mouse cos perhaps unfair) event and gl to the winner, at the end of the day in a months time no-one will even remember who won. Yes he is probably terrible but luckily terrible players win tournaments all the time otherwise we wouldnt have a livelyhood!

By 'major' I just mean that its big enough to get media attention and have peoples play scrutinised on public forums

But he is probably a nicer bloke than us poor poker players that are bitter hateful individuals after years of it

I'd like to compliment you on illustrating your own point pretty well Wink

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »

if you can post a couple of instances were i've slagged people off i will gladly pay for tightys next blog again

I've not seen you do it on blonde and tbh I can't remember specific incidents well enough to post them here but the point that I'm trying to illustrate is that everyone slags off other players. Minus the 2-3% of the field that are playing purely for fun and are well aware they have very little shot at going deep in the tournament, everyone thinks that they are better than average against the field and that they have a good shot to make some money in live tournaments otherwise they wouldn't play.

Even when you're just on a tournament break and you tell people about hands (not you specifically i'm talking poker players in general) its perfectly natural to accuse people of making bad plays and  it doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person for doing it, but saying that you never do is just looking at yourself through rose tinted glasses imo

well done last night and luke too. Wink

Cheers Smiley

I eagerly await the addition on my hendon mob page so you'll acknowledge my existence next time I see you Tongue
lol i do admit to saying 90% of the field are idiots which obv is tongue in cheek (a bit). i always say hi when i see you but if i've ever blanked you i'm sorry. i would much rather talk about hockey and goal tending than hand histories tho

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »

no matter if him ben nick or bin laden won i dont think they should be left with a sour taste due to this blog.

lol too soon for bin laden references? I guess not

Its obviously a shame that his day was tainted a bit by this thread but personally I'm a believer that freedom of speech is far greater than censorship for the sake of one party that might be upset. These are the blond poker updates whose target audience is blonde forum members, otherwise they wouldn't be done!

I think its also worth remembering that if Alan comes fifth, nobody cares about this thread and the potential upset because nobody interviews him and nobody finds out what a nice guy he is and how he was misrepresented in this thread. That is purely a symptom of man power and resources. Richard does an excellent job of providing these updates completely free of charge to the viewing public.

If you want interviews with all of the players, background stories etc so that nobody is misrepresented in these updates ever again then pull out your cheque books folks

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »

Not sure if its been said or not, but all the poker pro's are criticised and it makes them better for it, (if they adapt or take note of it) he himself said he is trying to improve, and what better way than being told by people much better than him he is playing bad? agreed nobody likes to be told their an idiot, and especially without the ability to defend themselves like im assuming he has, but if he wants to improve or wants to take poker more seriously, he is going to have to deal with a lot of people telling him he is an idiot when he has outdrawn them or made a hero call with third pair cos he had a feeling. im not saying that he should be criticised, and its probably wrong in doing so, but if he wants to enter the poker world, he needs thicker skin! i hope this comes out the way im thinking it as i dont want to offend anyone!
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 02, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »

llol i do admit to saying 90% of the field are idiots which obv is tongue in cheek (a bit). i always say hi when i see you but if i've ever blanked you i'm sorry.

See now I'm getting to understand what Jason Herbert is all about. Now I know that you take everything anyone says 100% literally we can communicate so much better!

My reference wasn't because you've blanked me before, just an observation that you put a lot of weight on hendon mob results when deciding how good someone is Tongue

i would much rather talk about hockey and goal tending than hand histories tho

Its a date

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 02, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »

My reference wasn't because you've blanked me before, just an observation that you put a lot of weight on

Dmorgan crushing itt

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: