blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1145045 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: November 24, 2013, 05:40:16 AM »

Clinic!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 24, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »

With Ward losing his WBC belt for inactivity earlier in the year, and after fighting last week in a non-title fight because his opponent couldn't get to 168, I think his people only have one option and that is to fight Froch again. If that phone call comes, Froch will have no better chance than in his next fight.

Groves might have to wait.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:20:42 AM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 24, 2013, 06:22:03 AM »

British referees are a joke. Obviously this one will get a lot of attention due to the profile of the fight but it's far from the worst stoppage I've seen in recent times. No one wants to see fighters badly hurt but in Britain referees have gone far too far the other way. They cannot wait to jump in if a fighter looks hurt in any way.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 24, 2013, 06:28:15 AM »

Why is Eddie Hearn beaming like a Cheshire cat when he runs into the ring, seconds after the fight is stopped?

Not sure i would be to happy about that if he was my promoter like Groves

Rematch $$$ innit.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »

Mr Flintoff has been a-tweetin':

Glad that Ref isn't in Brisbane , think he'd have stopped the test by now ! #englandontheropes
11:58pm - 23 Nov 13

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1655 on: November 24, 2013, 06:55:45 AM »

I remember the uproar over the Holyfield v Lewis fight, mostly by people who don't understand how boxing scoring works.

You can win 4 rounds by a mile, and then lose four rounds by the slightest of margins. The result is that the scores are level. How individual rounds are scored is also misunderstood.

As for the fight tonight, I had Groves ahead by three rounds. Of course, some of the rounds were close and if one of these was the other way, then that would be Groves ahead by just the one round.

Whilst what you say is technically right Dan I don't see what relevance it has to this fight.  Groves had a 10-8 round to start the fight.  Froch would have to have won the rest of the fight to only be down by one. 

Not sure I get what you're saying here. Froch only needs to edge two rounds to negate the first round.

There just wasn't anything like enough close rounds.

I thought some of the rounds were a lot closer than Jim Watt was indicating. Like I said, I had it three rounds to Groves, and that includes the 10-8 round. It'll be interesting to see the judges scorecards and see where they agree and disagree.

You can look at it anyone of a number of ways but I think the simple fact of the matter is that they put a bad referree in the middle.  When I saw he was reffing I though to myself that it was a long way from the York Hall to here and he reffed the whole bout like it.  There were numerous cases of the fighters failing to break, putting in sly (and not so sly) digs after the break call and a couple of punches on the back of the head went unpunished too.  The only way it could have been worse would have been if Ian John Lewis had been in the middle.  The whole thing was embarrassing and coming hot on the heels of the Burns fiasco British boxing in general, and Matchroom in particular has a lot of work to do.

I agree that the ref was poor. That didn't affect the scorecards really though, unless he should have deducted a point, or was letting one fighter get away with something but pulling up the other for the same thing.

The fight was stopped prematurely in my opinion, but just don't see the conspiracy theory behind the scorecards. As I said, if the ref had let it continue, and Froch had legitimately stopped Groves, the state of the cards wouldn't really be a massive talking point. I've seen fights such as Barrera v Morales I that were much more debatable in terms of the scorecards.   

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »

With Ward losing his WBC belt for inactivity earlier in the year, and after fighting last week in a non-title fight because his opponent couldn't get to 168, I think his people only have one option and that is to fight Froch again. If that phone call comes, Froch will have no better chance than in his next fight.

Groves might have to wait.

Groves rematch will be worth more $$. Froch is now in a bit of a predicament, the two biggest fights out there for him are Ward and Groves. I'm not sure he wins either. Groves made him look an old man at times last night and if they fight again in 4-6 months time the time will only have been a friend to one of them. I wouldn't be completely shocked if we didn't see Froch in the ring again.
Leatherman

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 24, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »

Wow what a night!!!

Lost my voice all shouting I did for groves, was a lot of Froch fans around me, went down well  

Couldn't belive all Boo's Groves got, but after that Tez decision and great performance from Groves all that changed.

Enjoyed undercards and whilst grabbing a beer bumped into John Murray for a chat which was cool.

Can't wait till I get chance to go to another big fight, hopefully rematch but can't see Froch wanting that.

#frochgotpwned

Satellite King
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

what a huge surprise. Controversial stoppage allowing another PPV with more hype in a few months time

People really believe Matchroom events aren't just money spinning fixes?

Amazing

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 24, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »

I had Groves up by 4 or 5 and, whilst being no expert, it just seems that another 10 seconds would make all the difference between whether he had enough to take the shots or would have gone down to his knees.

I thought refs are supposed to step in and break up the fight.....not being on the wrong side and headlock the injured party.

I'm a huge Froch fan, but went to bed disappointed with the win, and also saddened because I didn't like the way Froch conducted himself in his interviews.  I wish he could have said that Groves is the real deal and has won many more fans......but sadly, not to be by Froch.

I was at the Froch Kessler fight and am glad I chose the right fight to be honest.  Would be angry if I had paid £80 for that outcome.
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1660 on: November 24, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

what a huge surprise. Controversial stoppage allowing another PPV with more hype in a few months time

Amazing

You should get into wrestling Tighty, at least that way you know it's fixed and you can have a good time watching them fix it :-)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1661 on: November 24, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

Carl Froch definitely has a touch of the Calzaghe about him. Really lacks charisma in front of the camera.

Doesn't really know how to endear himself to the public.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 24, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »

Amazing

For this to be true though you have to assume there will be a rematch.  I am not at all convinced by this.  Froch isnt normally one to duck a fight though so.....

Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

Gut feeling is Froch will go after Ward......lose again and retire, leaving Groves next up to challenge Ward.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »

How can Froch be confident going into a big fight again after this? Groves made him look like a slow chump. Until we know how good Groves really is Froch is on borrowed time.

Watched the final round again and I am convinced Froch would have won 10 seconds later then the Ref stopped it, he was just lining up shot after shot on Groves and its better to stop it earlier then too late.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: