blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273127 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Tottenham riots
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tottenham riots  (Read 55645 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »

love how people in the forces always think the forces are the answer

Traditionally/historically having lots of the criminal element in the army has been a good thing - for the army

It hasn't necessarily reformed all of them into not being criminals outside the army. but they have tended to make good soldiers.

Evidence please?

At what point was a large criminal element introduced into the Army that would support this statement?

The recruiting process has set limits for what is acceptable for past criminilaty. For example, a young person who had been put in front of the court for an offence deemed to be minor enough to be given a conditional discharge (guilty however no actual punishment applied) they would still have to wait something like 12 months after this has been served before being eligible to apply to join up.

Most other sentences would have at least the minimum rehabilitation period attached to it as per The Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 before being allowed to apply to join up. Even this would not guarantee their acceptance dependant on the type of crime committed.

Geo

Not really relevant to the era's I was referring to

What era's? and again evidence please?

Or is this based on watching The Dirty Dozen?

Geo

I haven't got any history books to hand but here's a reference

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Punishment.jsp#miscellaneouspunishments

I 'believe' the US did have the army as an alternative to jail in the 20th century but I haven't got the time to look for references.

I know exactly where you are coming from. The Russians especially, used to have Penal Battalions, my point is I doubt there is any evidence that suggests that the criminals made any better a soldier than a non criminal, it is also doubtful that there is any evidence that it helped them be less criminally inclined.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
highmile

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »

whilst in basic training at about week 8 or 9  something happened that resulted in me spending 28 days in jail....

the reason is irrelevant...

the point being.. this  28 days( i think i done 26 two days off for being a good boy)..are what turned me into

a, a good soldier
b, a good civilised human being.

that along with the rest of my training and advaced training i think set me up for life

i honestly believe this would be good for young kids of today

The training, routine and discipline maybe. But you cannot force people to go and put their lives at risk for you own ideals. Might be different if they were required to fight for their country.
i think after two years no fighting war zones etc... then can choose to stay for ..lets say 3 years and go to Afghanistan etc probs 50% would  do...by choice

Yep, that sounds like a very good idea.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 11, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

Traditionally/historically having lots of the criminal element in the army has been a good thing - for the army

It hasn't necessarily reformed all of them into not being criminals outside the army. but they have tended to make good soldiers.

Evidence please?

At what point was a large criminal element introduced into the Army that would support this statement?

The recruiting process has set limits for what is acceptable for past criminilaty. For example, a young person who had been put in front of the court for an offence deemed to be minor enough to be given a conditional discharge (guilty however no actual punishment applied) they would still have to wait something like 12 months after this has been served before being eligible to apply to join up.

Most other sentences would have at least the minimum rehabilitation period attached to it as per The Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 before being allowed to apply to join up. Even this would not guarantee their acceptance dependant on the type of crime committed.

Geo

Geo

I 'believe' the US did have the army as an alternative to jail in the 20th century but I haven't got the time to look for references.

I know exactly where you are coming from. The Russians especially, used to have Penal Battalions, my point is I doubt there is any evidence that suggests that the criminals made any better a soldier than a non criminal, it is also doubtful that there is any evidence that it helped them be less criminally inclined.

Geo

I specifically said that I didn't think it made them less criminally inclined.

I don't think they made 'better' soldiers, they just weren't necessarily worse - it would be a hard subject to research without a lot of work - but the armys a lot of them served in were very good, so that could be seen as circumstantial evidence that they were at least 'as good' as any of the other soldiers.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: August 11, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »

This could actually be a very good way of reducing the number of troublemakers - train them up for suicide missions against Nazi strongholds.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »

i had a debate about this years ago national service isnt the answer but a national community service would be a benifit,young people having to do 6 months or a year  of service to the community after they leave full time education, work in the nhs or the police or army or helping the elderly anything community based to help them feel as if they are part of the community.
other european countries have simliair programs

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 11, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

i had a debate about this years ago national service isnt the answer but a national community service would be a benifit,young people having to do 6 months or a year  of service to the community after they leave full time education, work in the nhs or the police or army or helping the elderly anything community based to help them feel as if they are part of the community.

Works that way in Germany - National Service or National Community Service. I've pals who say that National Service was the making of them & others who were totally anti so went the other route and felt they gained a lot doing the community service. None of them seem to want to do away with it.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 11, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »

whilst in basic training at about week 8 or 9  something happened that resulted in me spending 28 days in jail....

knew you was a wrongun lee  Wink

colchester glasshouse? both my brother and nephew have served time there

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »

Works that way in Germany - National Service or National Community Service. I've pals who say that National Service was the making of them & others who were totally anti so went the other route and felt they gained a lot doing the community service. None of them seem to want to do away with it.

NCS absolutely, I've never been a supporter of National Service. At the end of the day I'd like to see our military remain a voluntary thing. Having said that, the threat of cumpulsory NS or NCS may push more to choose the NCS option.

However, are we past the point where so little respect for authority deems that it may not be implementable? If so, do we let this group of say 11-20 year olds (just a general range taken here) plod on knowing that there is little chance of changing them now and concentrate on the now Primary age kids and after to ensure we improve for the future?

If we are to inlude all age groups, who would be the monitors/teachers/guidance givers of the NCS. Given that currently teachers/police/social workers etc currently don't get the respect due.

Good debate btw

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »

whilst in basic training at about week 8 or 9  something happened that resulted in me spending 28 days in jail....

knew you was a wrongun lee  Wink

yep deffo a right wrong un there Gats.

28 (with special dispensation good give upto 54 IIRC) days was the maximum sentence a Commanding Officer of a Regiment could pass down and this would normally be done within the Regimental jail under the Regimental Provost staff.

Anything higher would be directed to Courts Martial whereby Colchester Military Corrective Training Centre (MCTC) would be your next stopping point.

You also deffo got wrong uns in your family too  Wink

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »

Evidence please?

Geo

Geo

Geo

I specifically said that I didn't think it made them less criminally inclined.

I don't think they made 'better' soldiers, they just weren't necessarily worse - it would be a hard subject to research without a lot of work - but the armys a lot of them served in were very good, so that could be seen as circumstantial evidence that they were at least 'as good' as any of the other soldiers.

Fair do's. Got me searching regards penal battalions and found this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtrafbat  and from there are links to similar from other countries.

Fascinating reading and something I think any decent person would find absolutely abhorrent in this day and age

Geo

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 11, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

Apparently a student has just been found guilty of stealing a £3.50 bottle of water from Lidl and sentenced to 6 months despite having no previous convictions.  Difficult to argue we are being overly lenient on the looters given this sentence.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »

Apparently a student has just been found guilty of stealing a £3.50 bottle of water from Lidl and sentenced to 6 months despite having no previous convictions.  Difficult to argue we are being overly lenient on the looters given this sentence.

£3.50? was the water made of gold?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Yeah - perhaps it was actually Lidl that were sentenced to 6 months!!!

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »

i like this geezer, normal rants about funny things.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »

whilst in basic training at about week 8 or 9  something happened that resulted in me spending 28 days in jail....

knew you was a wrongun lee  Wink

as geo said it was done at atr bassingbourne/depot the queens division by the Provo staff .....evil fuckers
(in house)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:45:38 PM by leethefish » Logged

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: