blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 383 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20  (Read 612162 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »

An anatomy of a draft...the best laid plans go awry

I have had in mind all through draft season that the positions with the least depth for starters were running back and Tight End with the most starting depth at wide receiver.

This league was to have 16 players and compared to standard leagues the second tight end could be used as a starter in one of the flex spots

I was really hoping for a draft slot at 6-12, because my aim was to take two of the seven or eight cast iron tight end players in my first three picks

This i thought would have two aims

- a) Get premium players in a shallow position, where the differences in weekly ascoring can be quite marked compared to the differences between second tier running backs, say
- b) exert pressure on other teams to pick tight ends sooner than they should, beyond the premium players

my strategy was to take two of Graham, Gronk, Thomas and Jordan Cameron (who really will be cleveland's only wide receiver to rely on this year) in those three picks

and then, early, build up running back leaving receivers for later

So, I got pick 2. Not ideal. If McCoy fell to me i would take him and rip up the strategy. He didn't. Horneris picking one took him, unsurprisingly 

So off to left field....Graham at 2

Waiting for pick 31 and here a problem was already manifest as all of the RB1 options had gone, even the tail end of Stacy, Ellington and Matthews, any of whom I would gladly have had, gone

this was the big issue in picking 2 and 31 compared to say 8 and 24

So i had to commit to it, and pick Julius Thomas

four picks later it was decision time. Its all about value, and there was no RB i wanted here. Plenty of Receivers and was sorely tempted to go for Patterson or Roddy White, Keenan Allen etc. It could prove to be a mistake not to have done

With Andrew Luck there, a top 5 QB option week in week out in a high powered offense, i picked him. Way earlier than i anticipated picking a QB. In other drafts I was happily waiting for Ryan, Wilson, Jay Cutler etc, but without a RB early in this one i was going to need to be high powered elsewhere

The long wait to rounds 4 and 5 and it was then a case, knowing that i would want 9-10 of my roster to be at running back and receiver to fill those positions out

time after time the long wait did for me, as whole tiers of players in these positions went

i ended up undercooked at both spots but happy with value

in a bad offense, most likely, fred jackson will be the workhorse and goal-line back for buffalo. i couldn't have picked cj spiller earlier if you put a gun to my head.

mark ingram has been going at 6 yards per carry all pre-season for new orleans, should start and finally might deliver this season

rueben randle is the red zone target for the giants offense, and the starter opposite Cruz

deandre hopkins, once i had missed brandin cooks, kelvin benjamin etc all gone before i got to them, could be a big play receiver, if houston has any sort of quarterback

most of all i waited with baited breath for 28 picks to pass to get jarrett boykin.  Boykin has “taken the next step,” according to coach Mike McCarthy and is locked as an every-down player for Aaron Rodgers in the Packers’ three-wide base. James Jones popped off 64-784-14 line as the Packers WR3. Boykin isn’t a good option against Seattle in week one, but will be a surefire WR3 in Weeks 2 through 5: vs. NYJ, at DET, at CHI, vs. MIN.  I am hoping this is the home run pick

i waited again, andy dalton was sitting there, the last of the playable QB2s i felt. i was drafting geno smith for this spot (likely to be much better this season) until Horneris, once again, took him a spot before me. If i need Dalton, bye week apart, at least he will put up numbers to AJ Green and the like, preferably with a few fewer interceptions this time round...

I had the Browns locked in as my defense at the start, and got them late. Under-rated plenty of pass rush, plenty of interception potential, not the most prolific scoring division for them either and in terms of schedule play lots of poor offenses (on paper). i tend to like a cold weather defense too as from november onwards points totals in games are lower.

i rounded off the roster with lance dunbar as a two way play. the starter in what should be a good run game if demarco murray goes down, but with potential if he doesn't. figures to feature in the offense anyway. ahmad bradshaw is trent richardson's number two, and could be overtaking him before the next few weeks are out. decent late round value. cody latimer could be anything at denver, probably later in the season. all the signs are good. turbin is Lynch's back up at seattle, but is my player to drop if the waiver wire turns up anything

likewise the packers, the final pick, solely because the browns are on bye early at week 4. back to the waiver wire if anything comes up

So i graded myself with mixed results for this

extremely strong at tight end, top 5 at qb, plenty of depth but weaker than most at rb, wr. i could have avoided this by going top 3 of petersen, thomas and say keenan allen which would have been conventional but i tend to think conventional doesn't win these things.

I do think the picks in the weaker spots though were sensible and have potential and the path of my season will depend on the likes of ingram, randle, hopkins outperforming lowish expectations

HenneGivenSunday

A. Dalton A. Luck   

A. Bradshaw L. Dunbar M. Ingram F. Jackson R. Turbin

J. Boykin D. Hopkins C. Latimer R. Randle

J. Graham J. Thomas   

C. Parkey   

Browns Packers

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »

What does waiver 12 mean ?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »

What does waiver 12 mean ?

of the 16 teams you are 12th on the waiver list

if you go for a player off the waiver wire (perhaps you have an injury through the season and need to replace a player) and another team goes for the same player, the waiver wire player is awarded to the team with the lowest waiver slot

As the season progresses your waiver slot changes for better (if other people use them and you don't) or worse (if you use waivers and those below you don't) depending on activity

you put in waiver requests (click add player, and it will ask you which player you want then which you want to drop) and each wednesday you will get an email to say if you have been awarded the player or not

on the league page you will see who has taken which players off the wire

My eyes are open wide
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 02, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »

We allowed to propose trades or is that a no go?

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »

We allowed to propose trades or is that a no go?

Yes propose trades to any player through the site

Commish (sheriff) vets for fairness (in the early years to avoid inexperienced players geting "trade raped" ) and approves almost all

My eyes are open wide
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 02, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »

Weeks when our def or kicker are on bye do we just forget about those points?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »

Weeks when our def or kicker are on bye do we just forget about those points?

No, add one off the waiver wire.

either swap out your defense or kicker or, most usually, swap out a bench player then drop the acquired defense or kicker back the week after

it is a bit different in a 16 team elague because the free agent list is so thin but in 10-12 team leagues especially you can get a real edge from working the waiver wire well

in part this is because of course every season new players will break through, established players will disappoint and you want to be on the ball at the back end of your roster to churn accordingly

of course also major injuries are a huge part of any NFL season

you can draft a top player, and week one he's gone for the year

this is the major luck factor in any season for any fantasy league player

so what you will see in some leagues is "handcuffs"...you draft a top running back say AND his back up so you have it covered if the top player is injured

My eyes are open wide
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »

It's probably not a good sign when even your own team page is giving you the rub down.

Draft Grade   Proj Record   Proj Finish
C                       0-13                       16

DRAFT SUMMARY
Spider 2 Y Banana will be looking to prove the pundits wrong. After picking last in the first round, they're expected to finish 16th in blondepoker NFL. They will be looking for some break-out performances from their five ball-carriers. These running backs are projected to average 101.68 points this season, less than the league average of 139.06

Like I needed that!

EYEING FIRST PLACE, IRONEAGLESNIL RACKS UP RECEIVING TALENT

Draft Grade
A
Proj Record
10-3
Proj Finish
DRAFT SUMMARY
IronEaglesNil should officially be on the blondepoker NFL radar after taking the fifth overall draft slot and putting together a team that is capable of reaching the posteason. They stocked up on pass-catching weapons early, using three of their first five selections to pick up wide receivers. Going hand-in-hand with that early investment, IronEaglesNil secured one of the most prolific threesomes of wide receivers in the league.
In the 6th round, caution was thrown to the wind, as Zach Ertz was selected at pick number 92 versus an ADP of 128.5 across all NFL.com leagues.
Drew Brees may have been a steal in the 2nd round, with an overall pick of 28th compared to an ADP of 15.6).
Jamaal Charles is a dual threat, racking up points on the ground and through the air. He ranks third among RBs in projected receiving yards with 570.
Watch your fantasy players' NFL games online!

At least studying the draft worked not sure about the week to week

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 02, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

Iron, don't forget there are 32 teams in the NFL and each one has a kicker and a defence. Not every team in our league will have two of each in their roster, so there will be free agents to pick up in the week of the game where your ones are on a bye.

This is where the real work comes in. What are the weather conditions? How does your kicker's offence line up against their defence? Are they going to score TDs for fun so giving you PATs or will you get lots of field goal opportunities from "3 and outs"? Sometimes, the highest rated kicker left isn't the best selection, but this is true of any position.

I've got an A- for my squad. Suspect that's better than last year's effort...

Loving the report, Tighty.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: September 02, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

Got an A draft  but a marginal winning record projection... didnt help my first pick i went off line timed out and it picked for me...

Have Iron first game up against a powerhouse team by the looks of it..sigh...feel a hiding early doors

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

wow, your running backs & wide receivers are terrible Tighty

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

can I just thanks sheriff for his help in sending me to the right place to research the draft just hoping same place will help me with trades transfers and starting line ups etc to maintain the draft picks

as I said in the chat last night tighty threw me his pick for graham as with 5th pick I was expecting the top 3 running backs gone and was told to go for TE and WR if that was the case

but with the 16 teams rather than  the 12 teams it made it harder to go that route as there wasn't as much depth in draft for any spots as there would be in the smaller leagues

I am so excited about the start of the nfl now Thursday Sundays and Mondays are just not going to be the same just glad there is no football on a Saturday so I can still have one night out

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »

wow, your running backs & wide receivers are terrible Tighty

as explained, once you choose to start TE TE you commit to a different strategy in a 16 team league. nobody lasts to a pick in 30 slots time!

looking forward to seeing how it plays out

My eyes are open wide
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

is there a limit on how many trades and waivers we can make each week?

lets say for example i drop my def as there is a bye week and i go for a waiver but someone get them before me can i get another team on waiver?

Linux
lol pwnd

I am dexter in disguise...

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:36 AM »

is there a limit on how many trades and waivers we can make each week?

lets say for example i drop my def as there is a bye week and i go for a waiver but someone get them before me can i get another team on waiver?

You can do more than one then arrange them into whatever priority you like

7 seasons, 1 Promotion, 2 relegations, 3 play off exits, 1 play off bubble, 25 points deducted.
we are leeds and we are back.  https://twitter.com/jpmood
 Click to see full-size image.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 383 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: