blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  "The Downswings of Property and Poker"
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 291 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Downswings of Property and Poker"  (Read 598218 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »

I've noticed in a lot of reports over the last few months that you seem to flat bigs hands pre. I'm talking about QQ+ really. Is this something you are aware of? And why do you do it so much?

Nice to see you both at sunny sarfend.  I might move there if i could run like eso seems to.  Given me rubs to check some racing results for him during the gps when he knows he is already weighed in.  Toasty life having these 12/1 and 5/1 mug doubles that cop.

Haha, Eso is on the cutefish express as well then...

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »

SLOVAKIA

Well it's been a bit manic since our return with the GPS straight after but wanted to give a small insight into the business and life over there in general, most people know I love the place and would move there tomorrow language barrier except ofc but it is still a poor country with the average wage about E300-400 however I believe there is growth to be had in the country it's just finding that niche.

So on arrival on the Tues 1st April my job was to start promoting the shop that was opening on the Saturday and we had 5000 leaflets printed up to drop to the surrounding villages as where they are 40 mins from Bratislava most people will shop in the next big town and the villages tend to keep themselves to themselves. Our shop is located in Petra's home village of Rohoznik where we got married 5 years ago and the village itself is made up of predominantly flats with houses on the outskirts and in the centre of the flats are the local shops, Schenk (which is the bar for workers and you rarely see women in there except the brassy barmaids) and the schools.
This is Rohoznik

more and more in the villages you see plots of land being developed so there is definitely property potential over there as before when the sons got married they would move there wife into the family home and either build another story on top or once the parents passed they inherited it and bought out the younger generation etc etc with no real property market outside of Bratislava itself.  There a rarely any for sale boards in any villages as properties tend to be sold via word of mouth but I think this will change as the younger generation and the country get richer and plots closer to Bratislava sell for more than the ones in Rohoznik for example although it would still be classed as a commuter town.

Here is a clip of a new build and as many homes run there central heating system on log burner systems you often see mass deliveries of wood to be chopped, stored and dried out for the winter with the wood in this clip being half a  winters worth of fuel once chopped.

So from Tues afternoon to Fri aft I was leaflet dropping all the surrounding villages and these next two clips are why I would move out there if I could at some point as the quietness and views are amazing and if you have a few quid behind you you can live like a king for not a lot. Both houses here would cost probably 100k euro for the plot and then the build cost.

I am 100% sure there will be money to be made on property in Slovakia in years to come and we will probably look to secure a plot of land soon to build something for us eventually and are currently doing some research into build costs as if you can find a one story property like the first one in this clip you can add a story like the house opposite and you have a detached house.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: April 14, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

Real interesting, post more vids sir, One of your shop?

Steve
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

For people who live in Bratislava central where unless you have a lot of money you live in a flat so they tend to buy a small plot for the weekend on the outskirts of villages and drive out and stay in them with the family and outside dining when the weather is good is what they are all about as they are a very social bunch of people.

These are the summer houses for the weekend with the second one being Petra's sisters inlaws place even though they already have houses in the same village they just prefer to be there over the weekend.
 Click to see full-size image.

So after the shop had closed its doors on Saturday for the first time we whizzed a couple of villages down and had a little get together where they had cooked a massive Goulash in a pot for everyone which was accompanied by some fresh bread, BBQ meat and various salads

Obv along with a few shots of Slivko (Slovakia's plumb based spirit) with the one in shot being home made and 52% proof although it is not uncommon to find an 80% proof knocking around which really warms the body!

Whilst going for a walk with Miro the father in law who in the 7 years I have been going there I have never seen have a drink yet he is the ringleader in getting everyone a shot as soon as their glass is empty takes me to the chap in the second photo's plot and I knew where this was going to go and he immediately cracks open a beer and pours me shot of dark rum Sad needless to say I was pretty smashed by the end of the afternoon.

They are pretty self sufficient as a poor country and never let anything go to waste with all the joints from the meats used to make soups or stock and using cheaper cuts well to make really good dishes as well as growing their own veg to keep some ££ in the house and the daughters tend to inherit their mothers cooking traits so do most of their cooking from scratch and in our house there is never anything processed or ready meals.
The veg plot

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3559 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »

Truly fascinating stuff Rich, and the way you write about it is very revealing.

In light of recent developments, I may have to find you a new pigeon hole.

The older I get, the better I was.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »

Whilst walking the villages I took some other random photos

This is one winters wood all chopped up into logs so you can imagine if the owner of this house played poker he would have a neat and tidy stack!

A working water well in the garden of one of the homes which was a tad dated so is probably still used daily

Most of the older generation in the villages get around by using a bike similar to this and they just really look after them hence for a bike that is god knows how many years old they still get by.

I also saw this being built in one of the villages which looks pretty sexy imo and look forward to seeing it finished next time I am back over there, if we ever did buy a decent plot over there I think we would go for something very modern or grand designs type as long as the plot was decent enough.

Ok so onto the shop well its located in the centre of Rohoznik and there are 5 villages locally that would drive to the village for this type of shop along roads like this with scenery as per the clip

The shop itself is really basic to be honest but expected over there as they dont normally put a sign above the window in the village shops as there are no more than 4-5 shops in each village so people just know, we however have put a banner above and will improve it once we really see how the shop is doing as well as redoing the inside.
Here is the shop

The windows and doors have recently been done just waiting on the finish and they are just waiting on the fronts to be painted and rendered and as you can see next door is a hairdresser and at the very end on the left is the village florist but if you didnt already know you would never know, I guess it shows in some ways how far behind they are due to communism where the Czech side kept the Slovaks as the poor relations before the walls came down so in esscence they are 10 years behind the rest of europe.

Inside the shop

This was just before the shop opened and if it does ok in a couple of months we will get the tiles off the walls and replaster just to make it nice inside as well as upgrade the rails which we purchased online for 150euro and will do for now so all in all this shop costs us £18/20e to run per day which includes rent and the wages and it's staffed by Petra's mum and her friend who work 4 hours per day each with one in in the morning and th eother in the afternoon and they receive the princely sum of £2 per hour to man the shop!!!

That does not seem like a lot but if you worked 40 hours per week even on that which is their equivalent of the minimum wage you could live very comfortably with a loaf of bread 20p and at the local workers bar round the corner to our shop a large beer and slivko on the side setting you back 50p.

By the time we had flown back on Tuesday (open 2.5 days) with a few pre sales added in we had taken roughly £500 which covers next months cost with 3 1/2 weeks left of the first month being open so we are happy with how it has gone so far.  They have some strange tax areas over there wherby as Petra's mum works the shop she can work x amount of hours without paying tax as a direct relative of Petra and as the business is classed a small ie a sole trader at the end of the tax year Petra just pays 20% tax on the profit and the rest she can just keep as it's classed as "her money"

They also pay everyone on a certain day in Slovakia and from recollection I think it's the 12th so again as a not so wealthy group of people the villagers should have some extra euro's available for the next few weeks and as the standard of clothing we are selling probably exceeds what a lot of the kids are currently wearing we really hope this will do well.

On another side there is a very poor side to Slovakia so as we are locating clothes and picking up clothes from free cycle all the time as well as purchasing at boot sales ie yesterday Petra went to Dunton and purchased a car load of clothes for £200 which will now be washed, boxed into age groups and shipped over in 2 weeks time we are trying to find a charity in Bratislava that we will give any clothes we dont use to give a little back as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:23:07 PM by Eso Kral » Logged

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »

On the Sunday which was our only "day off" whilst there we went to Bratislava Zoo with the kids and family

Another example of great value over there with 6 adults, 3kids from 1-3 year old and a teenager all in for 40 euro

I am personally a bit meh about Zoo's as kind of think with some of the animals they should be in their own environment having seen them on Safari when we went to Tanzania but still looked in awe of the bear and white tiger

#Invalid YouTube Link#

Max and his cousin loved the Chimps

Why are Lions always sleeping?

Ivy had her first ride on a horse and Max his first on a motorbike with each ride in the zoo costing 1euro for 5mins!!  You would never get that over here.

and that folks was Slovakia this time around with us flying back...

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »

I've noticed in a lot of reports over the last few months that you seem to flat bigs hands pre. I'm talking about QQ+ really. Is this something you are aware of? And why do you do it so much?

Nice to see you both at sunny sarfend.  I might move there if i could run like eso seems to.  Given me rubs to check some racing results for him during the gps when he knows he is already weighed in.  Toasty life having these 12/1 and 5/1 mug doubles that cop.
Cheers bud and you!

It was pretty comical as had just texted Dubai but for those that dont know I backed a few winners the weekend
Saturday before day 2 of the GPS I fancied 2 Fahey horses that had run at the Lincoln meeting but races never panned out for them so had this bet

This returned £3035 so when Arboy came to the table I asked him to check the result as I couldnt get wifi along with a text to Dubai saying "Can you please check these as got no wifi here" he replies "You have the first winner so a sweat on" followed by "F*** off no wifi"
"WPWP"
I also aftertimed Arboy with this one to bag another £600

So having busted the main event I set about trying to get myself out of the £600 Master Golf hole I was in with not one runner likely to place and only Donaldson EW place likely or Langer at 7/4 Top German over Kaymer likely to return any ££ so Sunday consisted of some winners and losers with the losers being £40EW Christiforo Collumbo, £250 Chelsea to score over 1.5 goals at Swansea, £100 Masters 2ball final round double on Channing's fancies but my final 3 arrows on the final day were £465 on Bubba (£96 at 10/3 the rest at 3/1) plus 2x £75 EW bets on Blixt and Fowler at 12/1 so copped a few quid as well and watched Bubba play a great final round.

Dont know if this was posted anywhere but people (Arboy mainly) say WAL but this guy once per year really does have that life
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/meet-jeff-knox--the-guy-with-the-greatest-job-in-golf--augusta-marker-155021216.html

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »

Will come back to this later bud

Cheers Tom and Steve btw as well.

Now better catch up with the 300 emails I missed whilst away from work instead of grinding the diary!

ForthThistle

View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »

Pm Sent.

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »

Well Bank holiday Monday saw a milestone birthday when I turned

Sad

I really didnt want to celebrate the fact so we just had a family day out taking Max to the local skate park at the seafront and then as the weather was nice went into Old Leigh which is a lovely old part of our town and fishing village with niche restaurants and seafront bars as well as the standard seafood outlets.

Ivy had her first outing on the beach and as per usual was the polar opposite to Max as a baby who loved her feet being in/on the sand so this bodes well for the summer break!

Here is Max at the skate park on his scooter where he pall'd up with this lad called Phoenix who is actually 5 but was premature and had growth problems since but despite his lack of height he throws himself around and Max just followed him around although he stacked it a few times whilst being a tad too brave and didnt quite get into the basin on the top level.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: April 25, 2014, 03:45:08 AM »

Happy belated birthday mate x

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »

Middle-aged though, Nursery-Fee man will mock relentlessly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 291 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: