blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:29:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  "The Downswings of Property and Poker"
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 ... 291 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Downswings of Property and Poker"  (Read 597351 times)
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »

Good to see you practicing the DIY/decorating skills for your property renovations!
Good luck with the Council thumbs up thumbs up
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: October 13, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »

Getting knocked out of a tournament when you don't play that many is pretty sad and even as a recreational player I always go through the thought process of could I have done anything different as you always want that feeling of being 'in'!

Going back Friday for day2 of the UKIPT london main event was no different even though I had considerably less chips than I have previously had for day 2's recently but I still felt hopeful of a spin more so when I found AA in the BB vs a button raise and decided I was just going to flat from 17bbs as I really wanted a double up so if my oppo outdrew me then fair play, so the 3KJss flop I hoped hit my Spanish oppo but he checked the flop and I bet 3bbs on the turn and he called which gave hope of another bet getting called and on the river I decided to bet all of my soldiers and after a short dwell he folded, I probably could have let him bluff but w/e.

With some confidence back in the chip stack I min opened 33 in the co and our table chippy (Anatoly Filatov) who was a very smartly dressed Russian young man that amassed a pretty good stack in yesterday's 1a of the EPT called in the bb and we saw a K72 flop which he checked, I decided to check back and when the Q hit the turn my now Russian oppo bet 2bbs and having seen him act differently when he recently doubled up I called and he checked the A river so I took the free showdown and was good vs 10high.

With 38mins to go till the break and me desperately needing a pee I took the option after it went utg open  MP 3b Btn cold 4 to fold my Sb and ran to the loo and was back just in time to sit down as the first card was dealt of the next hand so opening up 88 and having 13. Something bigs I initially thought happy days as imagine if I was 30 seconds later and it had been folded for me, alas another minute on I was wishing I had took longer under the hand dryer after I raise called off vs the SB who outdrew me with A9ss to leave me typing this.

Note to self from the weekend - always dry your hands just that little bit longer than they need in future Wink

I have still managed to abstain from having a bet which must be nearly 16 weeks now but I could be taking the biggest gamble of my life if I am considered for a venture that I have today put in an expression of interest for.

I showed a couple of clips previously of the premises on the seafront in Southend right opposite the pier entrance and at the other end of the lift connecting the High Street and the seafront and the premises itself has been empty since 2004 when it was built due to some build problems and then for the past 4 years by the previous leaseholder who passed away 2 years ago whilst I was selling his house (they do say moving can be stressful) and I have been in contact with the council ever since as I was close to assigining the lease from the late vendor himself.

Here is the premises and a link to an article about the site which appeared in the local newspaper a week or so ago

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11502818.High_street_chain_hopes_for_Southend_seafront/?ref=mr

Over the past 3 years I have formulated a plan for the premises and would be going into this project with open eyes but it would be the equivalent of being "All in" on a semi bluff as first of all I have to secure the lease and ensure that it's a local person the council want as opposed to some faceless chain and that it the basis of my expression of interest with me stating the social & economic benefits that we as local people employing local people will bring to the area as our model is based around local people and local suppliers wich to my knowledge are our council's buzzwords but we are likely to be competing against Costa or Starbucks or both.

I was prepared to walk away from it when I saw the rent which is £45k per annum as I was negotiating on it less than 2 years ago for £15k per annum but then got excited again when I knew a big chain would be interested and my model was similar to what they do but with a couple of additions, it is however a very big investment as apart from the supplies being there ready to connect it is a shell inside and behind the wooden fascia there is nothing so the big glass frontage is most likely a £40k investment itself and dependant on build quality, time etc the total investment could be as much as £200k to get it up and running of which I am happy to risk half of from property etc etc and the upside is that on all the research I have done it would be feasable to expect to be able to turnover £500k possibly more if it really took off.

First of all I have to become the "chosen one" and then I have a good few weeks to sweat getting the rest of the money whilst they sort out the lease etc with a view to opening in Spring 2015. Petra has been great and very supportive on it and I think as we have both invested a lot of time over the past couple of years on it we would be disappointed not to have put in an expression of interest even if we are not chosen, especially if we see in a years time it doing really well as our model and layout is very similar to what they offer.

I get inspired by quite a few things and people these days and in the past week have...

*Had coffee with Ed Gascoigne who is a "top bloke" whilst in London although I looked pretty scruffy compared to him in his pinstripe suit and pink tie (takes a real man obv)

*Listened to a podcast that was recommended by Outrageous from a start up company who has also been a great help so far on this new project

*Read a book called "The E Myth" by Michael E Gerber that if you have not read but have a small business should be on your Christmas list.

In DIY (Man) Brags I have instead of trying to ladder in the UKIPT London been up a ladder doing the cutting in bit of the painting which is whilst time consuming, pretty rewarding as once it's finished you get to daub paint over the rest of it giving it a good finish and whilst I dont approve of the white walls (apparently in Leigh it's the IN thing) am pretty confident it will look good when finished this week.

Here is my excellent cutting in which I did after 2 coats of the ceiling and having removed the fireplace I made from two railway sleepers which is to be replaced with another

You giving up the day job to potentially do this or do it on the side ?
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »

Good to see you practicing the DIY/decorating skills for your property renovations!
Cheers bud, if the seafront venture comes off then the renovations has to be put back a couple of years to enable us to recoup the capital outlay.

Have you bought anything else recently?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »

Getting knocked out of a tournament when you don't play that many is pretty sad and even as a recreational player I always go through the thought process of could I have done anything different as you always want that feeling of being 'in'!

Going back Friday for day2 of the UKIPT london main event was no different even though I had considerably less chips than I have previously had for day 2's recently but I still felt hopeful of a spin more so when I found AA in the BB vs a button raise and decided I was just going to flat from 17bbs as I really wanted a double up so if my oppo outdrew me then fair play, so the 3KJss flop I hoped hit my Spanish oppo but he checked the flop and I bet 3bbs on the turn and he called which gave hope of another bet getting called and on the river I decided to bet all of my soldiers and after a short dwell he folded, I probably could have let him bluff but w/e.

With some confidence back in the chip stack I min opened 33 in the co and our table chippy (Anatoly Filatov) who was a very smartly dressed Russian young man that amassed a pretty good stack in yesterday's 1a of the EPT called in the bb and we saw a K72 flop which he checked, I decided to check back and when the Q hit the turn my now Russian oppo bet 2bbs and having seen him act differently when he recently doubled up I called and he checked the A river so I took the free showdown and was good vs 10high.

With 38mins to go till the break and me desperately needing a pee I took the option after it went utg open  MP 3b Btn cold 4 to fold my Sb and ran to the loo and was back just in time to sit down as the first card was dealt of the next hand so opening up 88 and having 13. Something bigs I initially thought happy days as imagine if I was 30 seconds later and it had been folded for me, alas another minute on I was wishing I had took longer under the hand dryer after I raise called off vs the SB who outdrew me with A9ss to leave me typing this.

Note to self from the weekend - always dry your hands just that little bit longer than they need in future Wink

I have still managed to abstain from having a bet which must be nearly 16 weeks now but I could be taking the biggest gamble of my life if I am considered for a venture that I have today put in an expression of interest for.

I showed a couple of clips previously of the premises on the seafront in Southend right opposite the pier entrance and at the other end of the lift connecting the High Street and the seafront and the premises itself has been empty since 2004 when it was built due to some build problems and then for the past 4 years by the previous leaseholder who passed away 2 years ago whilst I was selling his house (they do say moving can be stressful) and I have been in contact with the council ever since as I was close to assigining the lease from the late vendor himself.

Here is the premises and a link to an article about the site which appeared in the local newspaper a week or so ago

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11502818.High_street_chain_hopes_for_Southend_seafront/?ref=mr

Over the past 3 years I have formulated a plan for the premises and would be going into this project with open eyes but it would be the equivalent of being "All in" on a semi bluff as first of all I have to secure the lease and ensure that it's a local person the council want as opposed to some faceless chain and that it the basis of my expression of interest with me stating the social & economic benefits that we as local people employing local people will bring to the area as our model is based around local people and local suppliers wich to my knowledge are our council's buzzwords but we are likely to be competing against Costa or Starbucks or both.

I was prepared to walk away from it when I saw the rent which is £45k per annum as I was negotiating on it less than 2 years ago for £15k per annum but then got excited again when I knew a big chain would be interested and my model was similar to what they do but with a couple of additions, it is however a very big investment as apart from the supplies being there ready to connect it is a shell inside and behind the wooden fascia there is nothing so the big glass frontage is most likely a £40k investment itself and dependant on build quality, time etc the total investment could be as much as £200k to get it up and running of which I am happy to risk half of from property etc etc and the upside is that on all the research I have done it would be feasable to expect to be able to turnover £500k possibly more if it really took off.

First of all I have to become the "chosen one" and then I have a good few weeks to sweat getting the rest of the money whilst they sort out the lease etc with a view to opening in Spring 2015. Petra has been great and very supportive on it and I think as we have both invested a lot of time over the past couple of years on it we would be disappointed not to have put in an expression of interest even if we are not chosen, especially if we see in a years time it doing really well as our model and layout is very similar to what they offer.

I get inspired by quite a few things and people these days and in the past week have...

*Had coffee with Ed Gascoigne who is a "top bloke" whilst in London although I looked pretty scruffy compared to him in his pinstripe suit and pink tie (takes a real man obv)

*Listened to a podcast that was recommended by Outrageous from a start up company who has also been a great help so far on this new project

*Read a book called "The E Myth" by Michael E Gerber that if you have not read but have a small business should be on your Christmas list.

In DIY (Man) Brags I have instead of trying to ladder in the UKIPT London been up a ladder doing the cutting in bit of the painting which is whilst time consuming, pretty rewarding as once it's finished you get to daub paint over the rest of it giving it a good finish and whilst I dont approve of the white walls (apparently in Leigh it's the IN thing) am pretty confident it will look good when finished this week.

Here is my excellent cutting in which I did after 2 coats of the ceiling and having removed the fireplace I made from two railway sleepers which is to be replaced with another

Come back to u after kids bathtime
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:37:24 PM by Eso Kral » Logged

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

Cheers bud, if the seafront venture comes off then the renovations has to be put back a couple of years to enable us to recoup the capital outlay.

Have you bought anything else recently?

Picked the keys up last Tues for the one we just exchanged/completed on. Have spent the past few days gutting it myself, to keep the costs down. Has to be finished within 5 weeks as carpets will be fitted then. Lettings agent will be invited around end of this week, so gardens/bedrooms need to be finished for photos and to get it let. Other property has just had tenant move out, so needs tidy up/refresh before new tenant moves in, in 3 weeks time.

After that we need to do our own kitchen, as we put that extension off to get this property.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: October 14, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

With 38mins to go till the break and me desperately needing a pee I took the option after it went utg open  MP 3b Btn cold 4 to fold my Sb and ran to the loo and was back just in time to sit down as the first card was dealt of the next hand so opening up 88 and having 13. Something bigs I initially thought happy days as imagine if I was 30 seconds later and it had been folded for me, alas another minute on I was wishing I had took longer under the hand dryer after I raise called off vs the SB who outdrew me with A9ss to leave me typing this.

Sorry for the late reply bud.

Well initially whilst the building work is being done I would remain in employment but once open I would look to take a year out definitely as think I would need to be hands on.

It's pretty tough really as if successful it will be an amazing opportunity as part of our portfolio but it is a massive gamble as the initial outlay is big and the running costs per annum inc wages are likely to be £200k to £250k but the upside is massive as there is potential to do £650k+.

Luckily with Petra's photography business and the leaflet business we could get by for a year or so even if there was no income (a touch unlikely).

So we are now waiting for the council/agent to make a decision......

edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: October 14, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Will have the stuff I promised with you this week mate - it's basically exactly what you need. (If I do say so myself!)

Allez!!
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »

Will have the stuff I promised with you this week mate - it's basically exactly what you need. (If I do say so myself!)
Cheers Eduardo!

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:04 AM »

Nice to see you last week at Luton Eso, you are looking well.

Good luck in your new projects and hope they are successful x
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:12 AM »

Cheers Dreenie it was good to see you too!!

I don't know if you saw but that guy you were flirting chatting Wink with won the main event and didn't get chance to tell you at the time but he is a pretty dece stake online cash player to my knowledge.

Ps your red bull rant from a diff table was funny to observe.

Are you still doing anything to get into the chef side of the restaurant business?

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:26 AM »

Cheers Dreenie it was good to see you too!!

I don't know if you saw but that guy you were flirting chatting Wink with won the main event and didn't get chance to tell you at the time but he is a pretty dece stake online cash player to my knowledge.

Ps your red bull rant from a diff table was funny to observe.

Are you still doing anything to get into the chef side of the restaurant business?

Lol! I honestly think I've fallen in love ... hope he wasn't bluffing when he said he didn't have a gf 😉

I nearly fainted when they said £3 lol! In the end a guy to my left insisted on buying me one, felt a bit bad cos it wasn't that I was being tight I just felt principal wise it was very high...

I haven't really tried to get into cooking much recently, I've been playing more poker, hoping to win the SM so I can buy something of my own haha

Probably look to flat swap somewhere soon which is closer to the west end and try and find somewhere there, literally no use working in London when u live in Surrey.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: October 28, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »

Been a bit busy in real life to post much here so am going to do an update prior to flying up to Edinburgh tomorrow for the GPS as part of my staking package and as I dont care about +Ev or -Ev decisions I am going to just wing it and either win or lose, obv hopefully for the backers who are in at spot we will do some wins!

After a few coats of white paint and 2 weeks from start to finish we finished the room and have moved back in there with just some new photos of the family to put up and it is currently the new fav room in the house.
Here is the finished room without pic's and the fireplace to be put up.

Work has been manic and all 3 offices are firing at the moment with another record month coming to an end and I think although the London price rises seem to have stalled a little and normally what happens in London filters down our trainlines and hits us a few weeks or couple of months later it looks as if the buyers are going to keep looking our way as you get more bang for your buck and also are only 40 mins from the city on the train so we see many commuters and city people deciding to buy decent houses at circa £600k instead of 2 bed city appts at the same price.

A few months ago I showed the £99 promotion thing on here where we were charging buyers to buy through us on certain properties and most people (Vinny) flamed me for my idea but it has now been 3 months and we have won sooooo many instructions from the scheme as vendors just love a deal. They have been knocking themselves over to get us out and talk to them about it which means we have been quite often the only agent there and if we tell them their property doesnt quite fit the scheme for whatever reason most of the time they would just market the trditional route as we have great marketing/reputation anyway so over the past 3 months we hae listed at phenomenal levels which in turn leads to increased sales.

It cost us £12k to set up the promotion and advertise it and on the scheme itself we have earnt over £30k in fees so thats a win and it is impossible to quantify how many clients we sold who enquired about the scheme but just chose traditional marketing but it must be a similar amount and we have now come away fom the all singing all dancing version of the promotion partly as we are looking at our first quarter 2015 promotion and partly as SpicerHaart group went to the ASA about the first 2 adverts we ran in July (we didnt run them after this date) and they found in their favour which is fine as we never intended to run them again and have gladly taken the free publicity it has brought.
Here were some links in the estate agency press
http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/sale-tender-agent-rapped-adverts/

http://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1499:poacher-turns-gamekeeper-spicerhaart-wins-asa-ruling&Itemid=583

Petra is now doing the photographs for our company as well so she is a busy beeand has bought HDR photogrpahy to us which basically shows the images as your eye would see them by taking 5 shots the same but two are under exposed and two over exposed so you get to see the outsidewithout it being bleached like many other agents shots.
This is what it can do for our images..

She is also working on some kind of montage for her website so on sunday we went down to the seafront to shoot some images of the ids doing stuff and a few videos's that she will piece together and add in as something else she can create for clients who come to our house for shoots.
Heres the kids and the second clip shows me videoing Petra shooting Max who knew he was being photo'd and was acting upon instruction.

In other news our tenant is still in the house but he court date is early next week and our seafront business venture well the marketing agent were splashed about over the papers asking for  "expressions of interest" and we submitted ours about 10 days ago which was based along the lines of social/economic benefits to the area in terms of employing local people and sourcing our products locally which seem to be buzz words within the council.  We have spoken to them since and due to what has happened before with the building they are waiting for 3 weeks before deciding on who has the best use/idea to give the lease to which is what I expected but means we would have to get a wriggle on as we would need to get loads of stuff sorted and then aim to get it open by the spring to get a full season behind us so it will defintiely be all hands to the pump.

If I dont get this project there is another building that I will show you next week that could actually be as good and is up for the same amount of money as this...

Am flying tomorrow upto to Edinburgh so maybe see some faces there...

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: October 28, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »

see you on friday.  Celtic picking me up from the station at 12noon Friday for the day 1.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: October 28, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »

see you on friday.  Celtic picking me up from the station at 12noon Friday for the day 1.
Aye see you up there bud and look forward to the ruby!

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »

Well Edinburgh was a washout and having arrived there on Weds afternoon I took Vinny and his family out for lunch and they had suitably starved themselves in readiness for me coming before I went back to the Genting and fired 2 bullets at the satelite which made 13 seats and having finished 18th with a questionable jam on the button which was defintely a bit spewy I felt obliged to hang around and try and buy a seat from one of the winners which I did and meant I had only spent a tenner trying to sat in.

Arriving at my hotel at about 3am in the morning was fine until the night porter couldnt find me on the system and then having found me said I hadnt paid which was one of just many problems I had with this hotel and my booking through Main Event and after a few hours sleep it was into battle for 1a which after 2 levels was going swimmingly having quadrupled my ss from 25k to 100k (avg 27k) but then having peeled from the sb with 78cc vs a MP raise and a flat from Ludo we flopped 4610 with one club I decided to check raise as the OR had 60k at the start of the hand and Ludo 100k so we were all pretty deep and having turned a club I barrelled before bricking the river and ending up setting my oppo in for his last 40k and he didnt much feel like folding middle set on the flop and it was back to 40k we went which then Yoyo'd until the penultimate level of the day when I got it in with a club flush draw vs Robbie Bull and missed so needed to come back on Friday.

Friday was a better day and having a good move to the feature table for the last level of the night I managed to find AA for the first time in 2 days and got 3 callers but flopped 25j and doubled up then knocked out a shortie before bagging 77k for day2.  Day 2 seat draw was pretty bad but at least I was in pos vs Michael Kane, Ludo and Fett and I managed to double my stack before our table broke and then having moved to the feature table again I had to sit tight whilst an agro table captain took charge around the bubble but this handcuffed me slightly imo when he opened again UTG and I was UTG1 with KK and in my head I felt if I 3b here I would look so strong plus there were a couple of shoving stacks in hj and co so decided to flat.

The villain continued his lead on 832 with me just peeling again and on the turn which bought a flush draw he bet 1/2 pot again which again I called, he bet 55k which was 1/2 pot on the river and I called with 60k back and was shown a nice get there with 1010 for a rivered set that ultimately cost us a cash and 3 hands later I get in my 55k with 1010 vs AA and flop 789 but brick off on 8 & 9 turn and river for no cash to show for a deepish run and after watching Pizzled and Sicillian spangle off a few hundo each on the magic wheel I decided I would rather spend the last few hours at the airport than pay for a hotel for a few hours so I venture in search of a place to get my noggin down.

This was bed for the night
 Click to see full-size image.

and was probably more comfortable than this fella's one

He actually deserved the floor though as having bagged the other end of the sofa he disappeared for an hour and left his bag and rucksack unnatended so was peeved when he came back and not only had the police and security checked his bag before removing but a young couple were now sat in his spot.

Since being back I have heard no more on the seafront premises but I went to see another premises this week which is 100 yards away and located at the bottom end of the high street right where the lift takes everyone down to the other premises.
The property itself is called "The Royal Hotel" and for the same rental and rates price offered on the seafront I could have this place. (13 seconds you can see the lift that takes everyone to the seafront and th eother venue but also everyone coming from the train and back to the station from the seafront walk past this place)

The top 2 floors dont come within the rent which is fine but people just cannot make it work as a small pub and on the right hand side you can see some steps down to the cellar part which has been a nightclub for years although it is pretty grim now despite having a multitude of rooms

The people who have been running this place for years have not got it right and I am looking at it in a completely different way but just need to find a use for the basement area (If it wasnt restricted headroom a lap dancing place would be incred here!!)

this is the ground floor after the big entrance and there are two areas of about 20ft square just where the clip goes dark beofre a grand stairway takes you  to the first floor.

The first floor consists of this function room which has loads of great features and views over the estuary and pier and would make a great cheap wedding venue option as well as a meeting place for business clubs and the one that one of our staff go to weekly from 7am - 10am every Friday pays £10 per head for 4 of them to go and have a bcaon butty and coffee so really believe I can make this work if I dont get the first venue although I could be swayed to this being the number one option .

This is the ornate coving in the function room

IMHO this building is about making floors ground and first work for you with a return on the basement club in some way shape or form and I am currently throwing around a few ideas with someone who is interested in investing in this project with me but didnt like the idea of the seafront location.

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 ... 291 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: