blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Geo and Jack camp it up on the Coast to Coast
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geo and Jack camp it up on the Coast to Coast  (Read 49728 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »

Jack Prime (Technolog) and I will be meeting up on 2nd September at St Bees just south of Whitehaven in Cumbria. Our mission is to complete the Coast to Coast Walk from St Bees on the Irish Sea to Robin Hood Bay on the North Sea near Whitby.

Distances quoted vary on different sites from 192 miles to 200 miles in distance (by our measurement for our route chosen it is approx. 196 miles) across  England through 3 National Parks - Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors..

This is probably the best site for route and general info.

http://walkingplaces.co.uk/c2c/route.htm

We plan to complete this over 15 days – 3rd September to 17th September which includes a 2 day break at Richmond midway through.

We shall mostly be wild camping, working a 2 night out, one night (b&b) in rota.

We thought it a good idea to record our trip here for ease of updating when we can and are aware that a few on the forum would be interested in our efforts to do this, some in the hope that we fail, but most to encourage us on our way and the fact that the blondites like a good story. Hopefully we can provide just that. Having good access to the forum is not guaranteed but we will be trying our utmost to keep you all updated as often as we can, this may even be done through 3rd parties.

Why?

I’ll let Jack answer for himself, however for me it’s quite simple. As most of you know I am an ex Infantry SNCO and completed 23years service in 2001. Since then I have done very little to continue to challenge myself and probably had no reason to. I maintained a decent level of fitness by continuing to play football/basketball for a few years but a knee injury put an end to that a couple of years ago.

Since 2001 I have been employed with a Pensions company as an administrator/trainer/mentor and especially over the last couple of years have been totally engrossed by work and I got lazy.

The blonde walking club thread was stuck up in September last year and I seen this from Jack:

"Right, now I've been outted as a saddo (again), I'm going to be doing the Coast to Coast walk sometime next year. I imagine most of you have heard of it; it's around a 200 mile stroll from St Bees in the west to Robin Hood's Bay in the east, taking in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors."

How could I resist. Having had a good look around the various sites for this and garnered enough info I cleared it with Mrs Geo, booked the time off in advance and then let Jack know I was interested. So we’ve been preparing since then, slowly at first and with increasing frequency within the last month or so, details of preparation to follow. Question or flame away.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »

glglgl

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »

Thanks Vinny.

Over the next few days we will list details of preparations - itinerary - packing lists and details of preparatory walks done with photos. We obviously intend to include lots of photos during our walk.

Geo

doogan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »

souds like it will be a great time

<--------------- prick
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:43 AM »

GL both

Have you done any specific training for this?

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »

gl and have a great time chaps!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:11:08 AM »

Good luck with this gents, looks a cool idea

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:17 AM »

Any charity involved? If so, post a link to a justgiving page!

Best of British.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »

GL both

Have you done any specific training for this?

Hi Del, hope the family are all well.

Wouldn't be attempting something like this straight off the bat at my age.

For my part I am extremely lucky to live just beneath the Pentland Hill range here in Edinburgh. I have been using some of the routes there as practice.

My pack is almost complete so I have been walking to and from work for a while now carrying close to the equivalent weight I will be on the walk. The distance to work from home is 3.6 miles and covering this very comfortably in 45-50 mins.

Jack and I have had a wee private forum running for a while were we have arranged everything from accom to kit to transport arrangements. We have also done a couple of trip reports of walks done.

I will copy a couple over tonight when I get finished at work.

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »

Any charity involved? If so, post a link to a justgiving page!

Best of British.

We haven't actually discussed whether we were going to charitise this Dan. I'm not the biggest fan of shoving charities into people's faces as you probably know. Personally I have 3 charities where I have a standing monthly amount debited to and help the wife on her yearly spots collecting here at work but apart from that the odd case that I feel needs my donation and hopefully not swallowed up by admin fees.

Any thoughts Jack?

I know Mo will hate me for saying but if anything, possible donations to the Reece fund, after all his thread has given us here at blonde as much drama, joy, frustration and at times sadness as any.

Thoughts please

Geo

Rod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »

Good Luck chaps
And have fun
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »

GL with this...I can see Geo grind this out as he's a hard b*****d but Jack needs to lose a few lbs as he's a soft, cuddly, chubby monkey. Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »

Sounds great, pics would be good!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »

In on page 1.

Looks interesting Geo, will be following. Ive always liked the way you sign off every post with your name. I think in your honour we should all do the same in this thread.

Alex

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

GL with this...I can see Geo grind this out as he's a hard b*****d but Jack needs to lose a few lbs as he's a soft, cuddly, chubby monkey. Smiley

As you would have seen recently, he's not the chubby loveable rogue we once knew...........just a lovable rogue now

One bonus though, I doubt I'll have to suffer the sight of that orange fleece of his, unless he intends using it as his basha  Wink

Geo

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: