blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Fit blondes in Berlin
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fit blondes in Berlin  (Read 83883 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: April 30, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Sounds like more of a biathlon than a marathon!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »

I went to a few seminars this weekend.

There was one on nutrition which I made a couple of notes on.

The response might be either - already know, don't agree with or didn't know - but thought I might as well put them down here on the off chance they might help, or at least generate discussion about good nutrition.

1. Training.
20g of protein + 1g of carbohydrate per kg of weight straight after training will maximise the benefit from your recovery

2. Carb Loading.
You can build up extra carb stores for 3 days - and keep them for 3 days.
So if you're racing on Saturday then carb load on Mon,Tue, Wed then eat at a 'comfortable' level for Thu Fri so you don't feel uncomfortable when racing.

3. Pre Race.
2g of carb per kg of weight 3 hours before the start.
750ml sports drink (carb+electrolytes e.g. Gatorade) spread out over those 3 hours

4. Race
Assuming you can draw on carbohydrate reserves for the first hour
Just over 1g of carbs per minute (will mean your body will process just under 1gpm) is a rough guideline - and spread out the intake as much as possible over that extra time.
Glucose + Fructose mixtures will mean your body will process more of the carbohydrate than Glucose alone (but adding sucrose doesn't make that much of a difference)

That was almost literally the notes I took so with any luck that makes some sort of sense. There was a lot more he was talking about but I kept on getting ..... distracted..... by Cassie Patten looking surprisingly hot  

Any other ideas about nutrition that can be put in handy bullet point form? (because any more detailed and it gets too boring to remember)
Including any disagreement with these points above?

no idea about 1, I have no concept of what a gram of protein is

the others seem to be pretty much what is accepted but with adjustments for the individual. most people would have carb loading a day later than you have it there so tues, weds, thurs eat normally on friday and race saturday

think the protein one is wrong. Huge amount for a runner
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »

jon is a swimmer as is the bird he was perving at so maybe it was tailored to that

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »

jon is a swimmer as is the bird he was perving at so maybe it was tailored to that

The nutritionist doing the seminar was an ex elite triathlete - I think it was a general thing rather than any particular sport.

That's got nearly 17g of protein in and that's not that big so is 20g really that huge for recovery after training?

I thought the carb side might be the bit I couldn't read properly in my notes

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »

I don't understand why the protein would be a fixed number and not in g/kg body weight

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

I don't understand why the protein would be a fixed number and not in g/kg body weight

hmmmmm might have been, can't remember for sure, but I think it was similar to why the amount of carb to take in during a race is 'about' the same for everyone - however big you are, stomach sizes aren't that different - and the amount your body can metabolize doesn't change that much however big the rest of you is.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »

The nutritionist doing the seminar was an ex elite triathlete - I think it was a general thing rather than any particular sport.

That's got nearly 17g of protein in and that's not that big so is 20g really that huge for recovery after training?

I thought the carb side might be the bit I couldn't read properly in my notes

lols sorry guys misread on my part.
Read it as 20g protein per kg of weight
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »

lols sorry guys misread on my part.
Read it as 20g protein per kg of weight

Lol, despite having no idea of protein I could guess that taking in well over a kilo of out probably wasn't right

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »

lol

I don't know anything, so I didn't know whether you were intuitively right or not

I'm pretty sure other people could have gained more from that seminar than me, I'm only really good at paying attention when I'm properly interested in the subject. And nutrition is boring.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

lol

I don't know anything, so I didn't know whether you were intuitively right or not

I'm pretty sure other people could have gained more from that seminar than me, I'm only really good at paying attention when I'm properly interested in the subject. And nutrition is boring.

were the notes you took just a good excuse to cover for all the 'jon 4 cassie' doodles?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »

lol

were the notes you took just a good excuse to cover for all the 'jon 4 cassie' doodles?

The notes are a bit tricky to read through all of these

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »

ran 9 miles today.  My knees feel like they might never work again.  

Am getting some new shoes - didn't have my size in stock in the shop so have ordered them off the internet - looking forward to trying them out but a bit worried about doing too much in them too soon and maybe risking blisters etc.

Hannah's getting quite interested in running too now and wants to come out with me on some shorter runs once the half is done and dusted.  She has also challenged gatso to a 100m race which she is confident she will 'easily win'.  Today she took part in an under 10s 1 mile fun run, which she completed probably quicker than I could Cheesy  Dead proud of her, as she rightly is of herself.

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:41:33 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: May 06, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »

Just make sure they do fit when they arrive, and then run them in with short runs until you're sure they're ok.

I did the 10K run yesterday on the same course as the Thunder Run. Was very muddy, which made it tough, but not as much as a problem as my ankle. Went over on it a few months ago (playing hockey) and sprained it badly. Had only got back into running a few weeks back, and then last week managed to go over on it again after a a bit of wood broke off a small wooden bridge I was crossing. Didn't think it was that bad, but got a fair bit of bruising round the ankle (not as bad as when I did it originally thankfully), and it hurt all the way round yesterday.

So now I'm in a bit of a quandary. I need to build my mileage up for the tr24 at the end of July, but I probably also need to rest the ankle so I don't damage it further. Dammed if I do, damned if I don't.

First sports injury I've had for about ten years, and it's bloody annoying.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 06, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »

I know they will fit Cheesy

I had all the gait analysis and shoe trying on stuff in the shop, and we sussed out the size i needed but they didn't have it in stock.  the sales assistant (probably a bit naughtily) suggested i try sports direct down the road - they'd probs be cheaper too.  They did have the right size and I tried them on, but they weren't any cheaper and I was buggered if I was going to give them full price.  Came home and found them on sale online much cheaper Smiley

What's the tr24?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »

http://tr24.co.uk

The 24 hour thing I did last year. I've entered a team this year of decent runners (and me), but unfortunately one of them has dropped out due to a knee problem.

The good news is that I've only gone and found a more than able replacement. In fact some of you may have heard of him. The one and only... GATSO!!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: