blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272586 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make thin ....Here we go again !
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 332 ... 341 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make thin ....Here we go again !  (Read 492953 times)
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »

good to see so many people making good progress.  After stalling for a few weeks it seems like the weight recently has really fallen off, this morning i was 95kg & lots of people at work have been saying that they can really see the difference (which is so good for motivation). 

I've been cycling to work & did the big bike ride a few weeks ago i mentioned but not had any resistance training, also have been walking the dog twice a day which i never really count as exercise but of course it is!

Don't have the dog for a month so will be trying to get much more done at the gym with the extra time i have.  I think not going to the gym really focused my eating which has of course helped.

I'm not getting too excited about the 95kg mark although i'm happy as i think if i weigh myself tomorrow i'll be above that, prob just dehydrated or something!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: May 28, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »

good to see so many people making good progress.  After stalling for a few weeks it seems like the weight recently has really fallen off, this morning i was 95kg & lots of people at work have been saying that they can really see the difference (which is so good for motivation). 

I've been cycling to work & did the big bike ride a few weeks ago i mentioned but not had any resistance training, also have been walking the dog twice a day which i never really count as exercise but of course it is!

Don't have the dog for a month so will be trying to get much more done at the gym with the extra time i have.  I think not going to the gym really focused my eating which has of course helped.

I'm not getting too excited about the 95kg mark although i'm happy as i think if i weigh myself tomorrow i'll be above that, prob just dehydrated or something!

Great stuff, keep it up! Always nice to get compliments about the weight loss. How do you react? It probably is modesty? A British problem I suffer from. I just wonder how things would go down if you said summin along the lines of, too right I have done well because I am a champion. Smiley

I did have one of my close mates crack me up by going against the grain of plaudits by saying I looked like Matthew Mcconaughey in Dallas Buyers Club.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: May 29, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »

Great stuff, keep it up! Always nice to get compliments about the weight loss. How do you react? It probably is modesty? A British problem I suffer from. I just wonder how things would go down if you said summin along the lines of, too right I have done well because I am a champion. Smiley

I did have one of my close mates crack me up by going against the grain of plaudits by saying I looked like Matthew Mcconaughey in Dallas Buyers Club.

such a good question as i do feel awkward at the time but after feel really pleased that its noticeable to the point somebody says something.  I have a few responses that include...

"thank you"
"i've lost 23kg will you stop going on about it"
"a little bit, still got a bit to go"
"i've been unwell"

how about you, whats the standard response?

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »

FML misread scales yesterday... 97.5kg not 95! What an idiot!

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: May 29, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

Yo! So my weight today was 66.5kg. 

These are the weights i'm currently up to 2 weeks into Stronglifts. All are in kg

Squat: 32.5
Overhead Press: 25
Deadlift: 50
Bench Press: 27.5
Barbell Row: 37.5

Not doing any accessory work yet but plan to do 3 months of the basic Stronglifts program and then re-evaluate. It's quite possible i'd switch to a more hypertrophic goal at that point. Workouts are easy atm but i'm not intending to rush anything, will take it slow and focus on getting my form down.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: May 30, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »

such a good question as i do feel awkward at the time but after feel really pleased that its noticeable to the point somebody says something.  I have a few responses that include...

"thank you"
"i've lost 23kg will you stop going on about it"
"a little bit, still got a bit to go"
"i've been unwell"

how about you, whats the standard response?

Bore them with the truth of the vegan stuff Smiley. Then I have to fend off questions about where do I get my protein.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: May 31, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/starving-cancer-with-methionine-restriction

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/methionine-restriction-as-a-life-extension-strategy

Watch the above two 5 mins videos as a reason why increased protein intake from animal proteins may be feeding cancers with its increased methionine. Also reducing it reduces the oxidative stress which is related to quicker ageing.

Won't take up much of your time and will give most of you a nice counter argument to increased protein from animal sources that some of you guys are doing.

It's not a cult thing with me nor am I looking to convert, merely to inform and you guys to do what you want with it. I may post up videos or snippets from articles I find interesting. Don't read this as an attack, we can get by in harmony Smiley

Generally the nutritionfacts.org website is superb.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: May 31, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/starving-cancer-with-methionine-restriction

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/methionine-restriction-as-a-life-extension-strategy

Watch the above two 5 mins videos as a reason why increased protein intake from animal proteins may be feeding cancers with its increased methionine. Also reducing it reduces the oxidative stress which is related to quicker ageing.

Won't take up much of your time and will give most of you a nice counter argument to increased protein from animal sources that some of you guys are doing.

It's not a cult thing with me nor am I looking to convert, merely to inform and you guys to do what you want with it. I may post up videos or snippets from articles I find interesting. Don't read this as an attack, we can get by in harmony Smiley

Generally the nutritionfacts.org website is superb.

It doesn't seem too bad but the counterpoint is on the person who provides all the data's wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Greger

Primarily I think this quote: "Professor Joe Schwarcz of McGill University recommends Greger's videos but says they contain "cherry-picking of data. Of course that doesn’t mean the cherries he picks are rotten; they’re fine." and that Greger has swallowed veganism "hook, line, and sinker; not that there’s anything wrong with that."" might suggest that any counter arguments are just ignored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methionine#Human_nutrition is also another source.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »

Seems a pretty weak complaint. Especially as the doctor giving it can't stop himself from praising Gregor at the same time. It may be that to the science he puts forward there aren't many counter arguments, so he isn't ignoring anything. Not that I am closed minded to that, I wouldn't mind seeing as much evidence as possible for all ways to eat. Sounds like eating meat and dairy increases your risk of cancer and quicker aging and that's that.

Dr. Garth Davis is a good follow on facebook. He debunks the other side of the argument (pro meat and dairy scientific papers) as manipulation of the factors of the study to deliberately give inconclusive results or false positives. So if you create enough of these faulty studies to counteract the proper ones that highlight the need for a whole foods plant based diet, you'll confuse enough of the laymen to continue on with the ways they have been programmed to do through marketing everywhere funded by the meat and dairy industries. Media generally also has it's hand in this in not highlighting the detrimental effects of the meat and dairy diets, as it is so often funded heavily by those that profit from the suppression of such information.

A little excerpt from him Dr. Davis he put as a post recently which is interesting (i find the emboldened ominous):

"I have been reviewing data on fat and cholesterol and reading some of the "pro-fat" websites, and I am left flabbergasted!!!! I simply cannot believe the poor use and interpretation of science used by many bloggers and pseudo-experts. I feel like I am in some kind of anti-intellectual Twilight Zone. Worse yet, much of the evidence supporting fat and cholesterol is funded by the meat and dairy industry.

The dairy council actually had a meeting where they established that they needed to "neutralize" the science that shows saturated fat is bad for you. Studies have shown that industry funded studies NEVER show negative effects to their products. The key is just to create doubt, just like tobacco did. They have done so by paying scientists to perform papers that are created specifically to show saturated fat not to be associated with heart disease. They do this through methodological and statistical errors that the lay person, and even the inexperienced doctor would not pick up.

You would think that people would trust the advice of most physicians and scientists. Like 4-5 doctors tell their patients not to eat saturated fat. In fact, the American Heart Association and The American College of Cardiology as well as the ADA and many international scientific communities have stated that saturated fat is definitely a cause of disease and should be avoided. The AHA and ACC recommend less than 6% of calories from saturated fat. If you read their position papers they are based on thousands of articles and science. These papers are consensus papers, meaning they got a lot of very smart people with extreme expertise in the field to review all the available science and come to agreement (difficult when dealing with smart people who have egos). These agreements should certainly be respected.

Yet, the public seems to prefer the recommendations of bloggers and journalists, and anybody who will tell them something they want to hear. It really is despicable."

Another good video on the topic too

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-saturated-fat-studies-set-up-to-fail/

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:50:52 AM by Ant040689 » Logged
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: May 31, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

Below is an article that offers up much more balance. And my tirade for now has ended. I will be back on here in a couple of weeks with progress from my exercise regimen which starts tomorrow Smiley

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: May 31, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »

That was weirdly defensive given my additional links were broadly supportive Smiley

Pretty much everyone has an agenda, was just trying for an element of balance

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: May 31, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »

That was weirdly defensive given my additional links were broadly supportive Smiley

Pretty much everyone has an agenda, was just trying for an element of balance

Apologies if it came across defensive, it wasn't, even if it came across as such, blame my written skills Smiley. I went off on a tangent just to shine more light on something else rather than it appear to be me smashing your input down and agree your input was broadly supportive.

On the agenda point, I agree with that.

I think I put things over very enthusiastically and hope i don't rub people up the wrong way in doing so. I am also just trying to make sense of the convoluted nutrition debate, and a lot of it errs on the side of whole foods, unsurprisingly.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: May 31, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »

These are the weights i'm currently up to 2 weeks into Stronglifts. All are in kg

Not doing any accessory work yet but plan to do 3 months of the basic Stronglifts program and then re-evaluate. It's quite possible i'd switch to a more hypertrophic goal at that point. Workouts are easy atm but i'm not intending to rush anything, will take it slow and focus on getting my form down.

Are you including the weight of the barbell in those numbers, or do they refer to weight added to the bar? I like your idea of startong off slow and getting the form down pat. Really focusing on your lift and improving that mind-muscle connection is massively overlooked.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: May 31, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »

Surely everybody knows by now that fat, protein and carbs are all bad for you. Weight lifting stunts your growth and limits your intelligence and cardio screws up your knees. Gotta be mad to get out of bed these days.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »

Are you including the weight of the barbell in those numbers, or do they refer to weight added to the bar? I like your idea of startong off slow and getting the form down pat. Really focusing on your lift and improving that mind-muscle connection is massively overlooked.

Total weight including barbell.

Had a question. For someone looking to maintain emphasis on a clean bulk, what is the consensus on weight gaining shakes to help get extra calories in every day?
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 332 ... 341 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: