blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960985 times)
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

Appreciate all the comments & feeback guys, thanks for being gentle with me, I'm not a Travel Writer, but the job sort of landed on my desk, so I gave it a shot. Now I'm trying to Tweet it like billy-o, because the idea is to get "clicks", & I'm not so hot on how Twitter works. (I don't use  useFacebook). I only discovered why people use hashtags in Tweets an hour ago, after doing a bit of belated research into how to use Twitter. Apparently, we add #poker at the end & it somehow finds poker players. I added #Vegas, too, & that attracted some clicks, including one from, perish the very thought, "Vegas Strip Clubs", marv.

I did @TripAdvisor, @British Airways & @VirginAtlantic, too, just to see what happened.

Anyway, it exceeded my wildest hopes, I got more unique clicks in the 12 hours it has been up than any piece of Content I've ever done before. Result, that. I just have to do Parts 2-6 now, which I'm dreading, but I'll give it a go. Part 2 was intended to be the actual journey, but I think I maybe ought to do "what hotel?" next.

@Andrew. Lip-balm? Really? Never heard that one before, but I'm not a lip-balm kinda guy. I had thought of discussing the various ointments I use, but it felt a step too far.

@chompy. A humidifier? Really? Never used one, don't know anyone who does, or why they would need to. My Vegas hotel rooms have one function only, for 6 hours per night, & that's sleeping, & I don't waste a second of that time. Get in bed, head hits pillow, zonk.

Anyway, thank for the feedback.   

Might be worth mentioning all the rogue sites out there that charge extra for an ESTA. They are usually at the top of google searches too.

Lip balm a good one, only time I ever use it is in Vegas
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: March 13, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »

You should inform the people how to order a cup of tea in Vegas. Great fun. One barrista gave me one with steamed milk and, when I politely enquired as to what in all that was holy he had done to my tea, I got the response, "It's a hot tea latte". Of course it is. Now make me a proper drink.

That was somehow bettered by the girl who asked me whether I wanted hot water with it.

The only drinkable tea I can find is starbucks in Vegas

On asking one cocktail waitress for tea no sugar I got warm water with a teabag and sugar in, no milk.
When I reminded her that I wanted milk, not sugar, she asked if I wanted milk and sugar but no tea bag!
She couldn't grasp that a cup of tea wasn't really tea with no tea bag in it...lol
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »

You should inform the people how to order a cup of tea in Vegas. Great fun. One barrista gave me one with steamed milk and, when I politely enquired as to what in all that was holy he had done to my tea, I got the response, "It's a hot tea latte". Of course it is. Now make me a proper drink.

That was somehow bettered by the girl who asked me whether I wanted hot water with it.

The only drinkable tea I can find is starbucks in Vegas

On asking one cocktail waitress for tea no sugar I got warm water with a teabag and sugar in, no milk.
When I reminded her that I wanted milk, not sugar, she asked if I wanted milk and sugar but no tea bag!
She couldn't grasp that a cup of tea wasn't really tea with no tea bag in it...lol

I agree in general, although both of the above incidents were in Starbucks last year!

I drink skimmed milk and, as SteveF alludes to, getting "fat free" or "no fat" milk is no easy task.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

Yeah I know what you mean Tal, I drink skimmed in UK too.

I tend to order the half green/half black mix, let it stew for ages then use the half and half 'milk' they have. Only drinkable tea I have found.

We are hiring a car this time so taking teabags with us and getting a cheap kettle for the room

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »

The hassle you lot seem to have, I'm glad I hate Tea Cheesy

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: March 13, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »

The Old Codgers (Karabiner & Red-Dog) took their own kettle, tea bags, china mugs, the lot, when they did Vegas. It's an old people's thing, they can't adapt, see?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »

People go to Vegas and drink tea?!

Though it is amusing seeing just how difficult it is to get a good cup. I hate the stuff so not a problem I'll ever face Smiley

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

The Old Codgers (Karabiner & Red-Dog) took their own kettle, tea bags, china mugs, the lot, when they did Vegas. It's an old people's thing, they can't adapt, see?

That's one thing I like about the Nugget, Starbucks right outside my room!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 13, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »

Not many UK hotels that have a Starbys, Nugget has two of the beauties. Decadence, or what?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 13, 2015, 02:03:33 PM »

Not many UK hotels that have a Starbys, Nugget has two of the beauties. Decadence, or what?

There's a Starbucks concession in the HI, Castle Marina, Nottingham Smiley

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »

There's a Starbucks concession in the HI, Castle Marina, Nottingham Smiley

Technically yes. I'll tell you a story about that later.......

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 14, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »

Anyone know if your ESTA becomes invalid if your passport number changes?

Renewed passport and my ESTA expires 08/2015 but it doesn't seem to let you alter your passport number?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 14, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »

Renewed passport and my ESTA expires 08/2015 but it doesn't seem to let you alter your passport number?

Yes it becomes invalid
You will need to apply for a new one
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 14, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »

Yes it becomes invalid
You will need to apply for a new one

Oh well, at least it was nearly due to renew anyway Sad

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: March 15, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »

Booked Vdara again for the summer.

Pros:
 I haven't found a better room for the same money (~£100/day)
Full size fridge is great in summer, loads of extra water/fruit/drinks in there, saves a fortune compared to the gift shop/vending machine
Additional living space means time spent working in the room is more tolerable
Washing machine + dryer means sports kit doesn't honk and you can pack really light (Get a good maid and tip her well and washing gets folded/dried, dishes get washed etc etc.)
Easy access via Dean Martin means I hardly ever drive on or across the strip
Great food options/bars in Bellagio/Aria/Cosmo all a stone's throw.
Can always get a bed by the pool

Cons
Once you go back to the Vdara, that really is gg for the night.  At other properties some of the best nights out I've ever had have been after intending to go to bed at 2, having a drink downstairs, bumping into a couple of old faces and/or binking at the tables and then going to bed at midday instead..
You can obviously stay cheaper elsewhere
I've stayed here a few times and it would be good to stay somewhere I haven't stayed before (I just couldn't think of anywhere better this time with decent prices)
Pool is too small/crowded to swim

I know some just want a bed for 4 hours, but I'm interested in hidden gems that others have that would be a good alternative and why you like staying there.

Click to see full-size image.

Hi Guys  

Still a Vegas Virgin however I've just got the green light to make the trip this year.

Definitely something Im looking forward to it but needs a good amount of planning.

Ill be looking to fly in on June 12/13th and will be playing  mainly a WSOP NL schedule culminating with the main event (likely to be playing Day 1B on June the 6th )

To all intent and purposes I guess you could call this a working holiday so although I like the odd drink I'm no party animal and would prefer a quiet hotel with a gym and swimming pool ideally not too far away from the poker action .

I've read through most of this thread and like Simons Vdra Hotel suggestion but was wondering for 3/4 weeks has anybody got any alternatives or indication of prices if you were to block book etc.

Any Accommodation Advice or just general tips would be appreciated.

Cheers & Thanks in Advance

Fraser

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: