blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 957044 times)
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 14, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »

The term for taxi rip off is "long-hauling"

Hot topic at the moment.

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/jun/29/authorities-trying-new-ways-curb-taxi-long-hauling/

Regards

M
MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »

I used to tell the cabbies to take me the freeway when came/went downtown, it's much quicker and I can live with a couple bucks more to not be sat in traffic Cheesy

Yeah it's quicker/cheaper to go downtown via the freeway, but we were taken on the freeway from Aria to Wynn which was ridiculous.  Most of the taxi drivers seem to want to rip you off, it was constant.

Love the trip from the airport to the wynn, probs done it 10 times now,  complete randomness on the pricing/route.

Am pretty sure some could do you for $30 airport to the Aria.

We always ask the driver to/from the airport not to take the tunnel/freeway and instead take Swenson/Tropicana.  It shouldn't cost more than $20.  If you are long hauled, when you reach your destination you can give the driver what you think the journey should have cost.  If he doesn't like it, he can call the taxi authorities or the police.  If he long hauled you, he won't!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:22:24 PM by MLHMLH » Logged
cdw1111
sandancer

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »

Did anyone try the US sim cards mentioned earlier in thread? Were they worth it/good value

Planning on going again late Nov/Early Dec for rodeo anyone been then have any tips?

Rodeo time brings a lot of people into town,I think we caught the beginning of it on the APAT trip.Mid tier hotels prices are on the high side but some do packages.I would book something early that you can cancel if you find a better deal i.e direct through the hotel.

shy bairns get nowt
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

Did anyone try the US sim cards mentioned earlier in thread? Were they worth it/good value

Planning on going again late Nov/Early Dec for rodeo anyone been then have any tips?

Rodeo time brings a lot of people into town,I think we caught the beginning of it on the APAT trip.Mid tier hotels prices are on the high side but some do packages.I would book something early that you can cancel if you find a better deal i.e direct through the hotel.

I've been at this time of year around 3-4 times and suggest you stay/play in the Excalibur for the simple reason that loads of rodeo guys/cowboys play the cash games in there. Without wishing to sound like a mirrion others, they are some of the softest games you will find in Vegas for the duration of the rodeo, dates for this year are on the link below.

http://www.razorgator.com/tickets/sports/rodeo/national-finals-rodeo-tickets/

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

Flights back from LV now depart from Terminal 3. My travel docs said terminal 2 as the new terminal changes only began operating last weekend.

How did you enjoy staying at The Nugget Phil, did it live up to my hype?

Hi Ralph, I didn't stay there in the end, they messed me around when I got there so I snap cancelled it and ended up at the Monte Carlo via the Aria which I intended to stay in after the Nugget fiasco. I decided that the 800 bucks more for the 11 days there was daft as it took about 7 minutes to walk from the front desk at the MC to the Aria.

I spent most of my time in The Mirage and will prob stay there next time unless anyone has some horror stories.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »

I've been at this time of year around 3-4 times and suggest you stay/play in the Excalibur for the simple reason that loads of rodeo guys/cowboys play the cash games in there. Without wishing to sound like a mirrion others, they are some of the softest games you will find in Vegas for the duration of the rodeo, dates for this year are on the link below.

http://www.razorgator.com/tickets/sports/rodeo/national-finals-rodeo-tickets/

Cheers...went at rodeo time 2 years ago. Was incredible fun in cash games mainly downtown that time though!

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

does anyone know if the only English player remaining in the main event sam holden is the same one who final tabled last year???
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

does anyone know if the only English player remaining in the main event sam holden is the same one who final tabled last year???

yes 'tis him

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

yes 'tis him

good on him...great to see him do it again then
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »

Flights back from LV now depart from Terminal 3. My travel docs said terminal 2 as the new terminal changes only began operating last weekend.

Hi Ralph, I didn't stay there in the end, they messed me around when I got there so I snap cancelled it and ended up at the Monte Carlo via the Aria which I intended to stay in after the Nugget fiasco. I decided that the 800 bucks more for the 11 days there was daft as it took about 7 minutes to walk from the front desk at the MC to the Aria.

I spent most of my time in The Mirage and will prob stay there next time unless anyone has some horror stories.

Wow that's a shame, what exactly happened Phil?

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 15, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »

This might sound a bit Diva ish but I had just done about 16 hours all in to get there. I got into the room and the aircon was so loud, I rang the front desk and the girl could actually hear it over the phone so she arranged to send an engineer up to look at it. So i sat there for 30 mins, couldn't have a shower or a kip, in case the guy knocked on the door. When he came he took the cover off, played with a few switches and turned it back on again and it was fine, the prob is he then left and by the time it had fully wound up again it was making the same noise, so basically he had turned it off, then back on again and said it was fixed.

I then rang the desk again and the girl said she would move me to a different room and get someone to bring the keycard to me. So I sat there for another 30 mins waiting for the guy to turn up. I went to the next room, the only thing I had specified on the room booking was not to be next to the lift, this room was next to the lift and when I opened the curtains the view was of a brick wall about 2 feet in front of the window so was dark even with the curtains open.

Was enough messing for me to just go elsewhere.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 15, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

This might sound a bit Diva ish but I had just done about 16 hours all in to get there. I got into the room and the aircon was so loud, I rang the front desk and the girl could actually hear it over the phone so she arranged to send an engineer up to look at it. So i sat there for 30 mins, couldn't have a shower or a kip, in case the guy knocked on the door. When he came he took the cover off, played with a few switches and turned it back on again and it was fine, the prob is he then left and by the time it had fully wound up again it was making the same noise, so basically he had turned it off, then back on again and said it was fixed.

I then rang the desk again and the girl said she would move me to a different room and get someone to bring the keycard to me. So I sat there for another 30 mins waiting for the guy to turn up. I went to the next room, the only thing I had specified on the room booking was not to be next to the lift, this room was next to the lift and when I opened the curtains the view was of a brick wall about 2 feet in front of the window so was dark even with the curtains open.

Nah that's fair enough, not a difficult request to service in reality and a shame because it's a great hotel. There were 7 of us staying throughout the three towers and everyone absolutely loved the place.

First impressions and all that though....

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 15, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

Nah that's fair enough, not a difficult request to service in reality and a shame because it's a great hotel. There were 7 of us staying throughout the three towers and everyone absolutely loved the place.

First impressions and all that though....

I actually got a cab down there about 4 times in the first week and did enjoy the place, the comps in the festival were really good for the buy ins. Binnions comps were v good too, tho I did pure bubble in the one I played in after playing for 7 hours which was  bit annoying. Thewwy and I had 4 bb left at the last break with 13 left, I missed the money by one and he was chip daddy when they chopped it up 4 handed!!

The funniest thing that happened was on my last night at The Mirage, the power went off as I sat in a 7 handed cash game and the reserve generators didn't kick in until about a minute later. There were alarms and fruit machines buzzing everywhere when the back up power finally came on. I looked round the table and all the players were sat with their hands over their chips and the dealer was laying arms folded across the chip tray in front of him. I't was like a scene from Oceans Eleven, I half expected Brad Pitt to turn up dressed as a doctor.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:44:27 PM by bobby1 » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »

I actually got a cab down there about 4 times in the first week and did enjoy the place, the comps in the festival were really good for the buy ins. Binnions comps were v good too, tho I did pure bubble in the one I played in after playing for 7 hours which was  bit annoying. Thewwy and I had 4 bb left at the last break with 13 left, I missed the money by one and he was chip daddy when they chopped it up 4 handed!!

The funniest thing that happened was on my last night at The Mirage, the power went off as I sat in a 7 handed cash game and the reserve generators didn't kick in until about a minute later. There were alarms and fruit machines buzzing everywhere when the back up power finally came on. I looked round the table and all the players were sat with there hands over their chips and the dealer was laying arms folded across the chip tray in front of him. I't was like a scene from Oceans Eleven, I half expected Brad Pitt to turn up dressed as a doctor.

I've always stayed Palazzo, Wynn, Caesars etc. for the last few years and only did a couple days down there last year, but I am a convert now. The poker room is good, players bad and I the same as you pure bubbled one of the comps I played there too which was about the sum of the trip.....

Haha I've never played at the Mirage, some mates stayed there last year and really liked the place though. Dealer was obv  expecting the place to get turned over for poker chips Cheesy

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 15, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

Stayed at the Mirage in 2005.  7 nights with direct Virgin flights for £650 each (those were the days!)

No horror stories but the room was more 'standard' than the other big Strip hotels as you'd expect.  Obviously, given the price, we had the most basic rooms there and no complaints other than no 'wow factor'.  Great location though and the poker room at the time was 2nd only to the Bellagio (this was when limit holdem was the main cash game in town and no limit was still the exception to the rule).

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: