blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 952358 times)
Gazza

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: May 01, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »

I never see the point of having curry In the U.S. It's one of the few cuisines we do better than them.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »

I never see the point of having curry In the U.S. It's one of the few cuisines we do better than them.

For me, ours is no more authentic than theirs and it's more a case of familiarity with the food here.

I have had excellent Indian meals in Vegas, and I wouldn't say we are better at cooking anything bar a fry up Smiley

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 02, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »

How do you guys take money for a US trip?  It's been years since I had a decent holiday and I'm sure I took travellers cheques but I'm sure they are dated by now.  I think withdrawing from my bank card will be expensive each time but I don't want a couple of thousand dollars in my back pocket either. 

What's the done thing these days?  I'm such a holiday newbie!

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

How do you guys take money for a US trip?  It's been years since I had a decent holiday and I'm sure I took travellers cheques but I'm sure they are dated by now.  I think withdrawing from my bank card will be expensive each time but I don't want a couple of thousand dollars in my back pocket either. 

What's the done thing these days?  I'm such a holiday newbie!

For Vegas I just take cash, but I know that travellers cheques are still pretty popular and you can also use the FairFX prepaid $ card too.

This link gets you £5 free Smiley  http://www.fairfx.com/moneysupermarket3

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »

for a couple of grand... take cash Smiley  You have a room safe, you can convert to chips (for ease of carry, but 20x$100 is hardly bulky) and you are about as safe on the Strip with $2k as you can be.

Yian

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 02, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »

How much would you have to take to start thinking about a different method of taking money over there? And what is that method?
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:42 PM »

I'm not on the strip for most of my trip, it's more of a holiday question rather than a Vegas one.  Cheers for the link, I may look into that but will prob end up taking cash I guess.   Just checking.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 02, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

How much would you have to take to start thinking about a different method of taking money over there? And what is that method?

I took about $10k cash last year, and would probably be happy enough with cash up to about $20k. However, I would wire it if I was gonna be rolling like Mr Channing with a stable the size of Nicky Henderson Smiley

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 02, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

There isn't a right or wrong on amount, obviously dependent on individual risk aversion.  Taking $20k or so is still fine in cash... declare it both ends and carry some kind of documentation to support that you legally own it, just in case.

Trying to sort out wires, credit lines etc etc for less is bordering on not worth the hassle.  For those expecting to be a regular WSOP visitor, open a bank account while you are over there for next time.

brookie

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »

4 weeks lol
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 03, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »

realistically, how much does a vegas trip cost???  not including tournament entries as that is a personal choice.  estimated cost required for flights, food, entertainment, tips, cabs, drinks, any other unforeseen costs??? etc..  would appreciate advice.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »

Flight:
Sale fare direct: £500-£600
Indirect: £500-£600
Direct: £800

Hotel (did you forget this one?)

Dump: £300 pw should cover it
5* on poker rate: £900 inc

Food
Comp $$ from hours logged will cover a buffet each day
Food Court $10
Casual Meal: $30
Steak, sides, glass of wine $100

Entertainment
Watching the Bellagio fountains / Mirage Volcano - Free
Watching Candy gyrate for 3 songs - $100
Show tickets ~ ranging from free (go figure) to $200
Water Park: $40
Craps ~ $profit

Tips
There should be a tipping containment thread somewhere...

Cabs
Airport to centre strip ~ $20
Centre strip to Downtwon ~ $30
Hotel to Hotel ~ $6 to $30  (If you make a cabbie wait in line for an hour to take you to the next hotel for $6, leave him a few extra $$..)

Drinks
Tip $1 a drink whilst playing (drinks are free)
Beer: ~ $3-$10 depending how schmancy the place is when you buy it
Nightclub ~ may as well be $20/drink by time you leave a tip (or bottle service at a table for a group of you, $$$$)

Unforeseen Costs
Not sure how well you can foresee costs Smiley
For most people, this is going to be gambling money, helicopter rides, slightly drunken decision to take a 5 bottle minimum table in a nightclub, and hotel costs if they forgot to include that in pricing up their trip....

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 05, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »

Soooooo... a question I asked last year, but figured worth revisiting in case a new product is out on the market.

SIM card for Vegas

I have: An unlocked HTC OneX (micro SIM)

I want: To be able to make or take USA calls and texts and ideally be able to make or take International calls/texts (or at least to one appointed number)

I would like, but not critical:  To have a call fwd service so that calls to my UK SIM are auto-fwd'd to my USA SIM (i.o.w. don't need to carry 2 phones)  To know the USA # before I set off from UK.

I do not want:  To have to hang out of the balcony on tip toe to get a signal.  To have to go to anything more than minimal effort.

Last year I went for http://www.holidayphone.co.uk/products.html?fromCountrySelect=uk&category_id=14 £84.90 inclusive

The other valid option was http://www.simcardguru.co.uk/product/sim-cards-for-the-united-states/t-mobile-usa-pay-as-you-go-mobile-phone-sim-card for £26 and then $2 or $3 a day.

I had problems getting the holidayphone SIM working consistently for data, no issues with calls, and tbf, didn't try any of the help topics they provided to fix it.

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Paulie_D
APAT Travel Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1063 on: May 05, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »

I use these people.

I too have an unlocked HTC ONE X and had no issues last year with data or calls / texts.

http://www.mrsimcard.com/s.html

Wait...what!?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »

Thanks that looks ideal.  Which package did you go for?  The SIM for Android looks like a regular sized SIM, so does that mean presumably I should choose SIM for IPhone as, despite having an Android, that looks like a micro SIM?

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: