blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 957315 times)
Paulie_D
APAT Travel Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: May 05, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »

As part of the checkout process they offer a micro-sim option for, as I recall, an extra $3.

I went for this one from SIMPLE http://www.mrsimcard.com/smart.html because I was there for 3 weeks and wanted unlimited data. Came to about $100 including shipping IIRC.

The sim arrived with instructions on setting up which won't come as news to you if you've done something like his before. I think I still have them and will scan and link if you need them.

The HTC asked for one number which wasn't included in the instructions but at guessed at 0000 and it seemed to do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:50:16 PM by Paulie_D » Logged

Wait...what!?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 05, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »

TY, will have a full read on the site and prolly give this a spin.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 05, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »

Soooooo... a question I asked last year, but figured worth revisiting in case a new product is out on the market.

SIM card for Vegas

I have: An unlocked HTC OneX (micro SIM)

I want: To be able to make or take USA calls and texts and ideally be able to make or take International calls/texts (or at least to one appointed number)

I would like, but not critical:  To have a call fwd service so that calls to my UK SIM are auto-fwd'd to my USA SIM (i.o.w. don't need to carry 2 phones)  To know the USA # before I set off from UK.

I do not want:  To have to hang out of the balcony on tip toe to get a signal.  To have to go to anything more than minimal effort.

Last year I went for http://www.holidayphone.co.uk/products.html?fromCountrySelect=uk&category_id=14 £84.90 inclusive

The other valid option was http://www.simcardguru.co.uk/product/sim-cards-for-the-united-states/t-mobile-usa-pay-as-you-go-mobile-phone-sim-card for £26 and then $2 or $3 a day.

I had problems getting the holidayphone SIM working consistently for data, no issues with calls, and tbf, didn't try any of the help topics they provided to fix it.

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Hello Simon this has been discussed on another forum ,here's a link to it with a few ideas

http://www.krackedkings.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76327&whichpage=4

Hope it helps
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 05, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »

Thanks Tony, having a read now.

Gazza

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »

As part of the checkout process they offer a micro-sim option for, as I recall, an extra $3.

I went for this one from SIMPLE http://www.mrsimcard.com/smart.html because I was there for 3 weeks and wanted unlimited data. Came to about $100 including shipping IIRC.

The sim arrived with instructions on setting up which won't come as news to you if you've done something like his before. I think I still have them and will scan and link if you need them.

The HTC asked for one number which wasn't included in the instructions but at guessed at 0000 and it seemed to do the trick.

Interesting. Can you tether the data connection do you know? E.g. Can I share the data signal with my iPad? Can't see anything in the FAQ.
Paulie_D
APAT Travel Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

Interesting. Can you tether the data connection do you know? E.g. Can I share the data signal with my iPad? Can't see anything in the FAQ.

TBH I don't know...never tried it. Can't think of a reason why not though without looking through the t&c

Wait...what!?
Paulie_D
APAT Travel Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1071 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »

Haven't been able to find anything specific on tethering but as long as you're not downloading movies I suspect you should be OK. No guarantees though...might be worth a rummage on the Simple Mobile site.

In the meantime, if you are interested, I've PDF'd the letters and instructions for viewing: http://goo.gl/ZP14E

Wait...what!?
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 08, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »

I have been checking out hotel reviews online.......  there are a lot of holiday reviews saying that the hotel rooms were jobbed, money and cards stolen - even in seemingly decent hotels?Huh? any thoughts??

are hotel room safes, safe?

anyone had bad experiences of certain hotels in vegas - so I can avoid??? 

would appreciate advice - im a vegas virgin!
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

I have been checking out hotel reviews online.......  there are a lot of holiday reviews saying that the hotel rooms were jobbed, money and cards stolen - even in seemingly decent hotels?Huh? any thoughts??

Don't lose sight that people who don't get rolled/robbed rarely post on review sites. I feel safer carrying cash on Strip than I would parts of Nottingham tbh.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »

Would never take any stock in online reviews from most sites.  People will score Wynn 2/10 because they didn't have HP sauce on request...

For room safes, well technically, no they are not safe.  Anyone from maintenance can get into one in a second ~ and they get plenty of genuine practice every time someone checks out of a room and leaves the safe locked.  But I don't know of anyone that has had any trouble at all... and it has to be a better option than tucking it inside a sock at the bottom of your suitcase....  If you practice even a basic level of security (like making sure you don't leave the room door open when you go out...) then anyone accessing your room does so on an electronic key which is all very auditable.  There wouldn't be many cases of room safe theft reported before they could draw a line towards the likely culprit and dismiss them. 

If you are going to be taking massive amounts of $$ for WSOP etc, then you could wire it, or use a safety deposit box at reception/main cage, depending on hotel.  If you are taking a couple of grand gambling roll and a couple of grand expenses, don't sweat it and use the in room safe.

I had a bad experience in Bellagio once, I tripped arse over tit and nearly took two blackjack tables with me, so definitely avoid that one!

Without repeating 100 pages of advice, for Vegas virgins:

1) Do a little bit of spadework online.  Somewhere like Vegas.com has a strip map of hotels and a downtown map of hotels... familiarise yourself with what is there.
2) For each hotel, find the hotel website and take a look around, often there are 360 degree tours of the rooms and main areas, get an idea of what you like and what you don't.
3) For your first trip, recommend somewhere fairly central on strip from which you can explore.
4)  5* you can't really go wrong.  4* there are very nice hotels (PH, Mirage) and very bad hotels (Excalibur) so a lot of variance.  3* are usually hotels that are 20 years past their sell-by date.  No idea of your budget, but as many top hotels can be snapped up for Travelodge prices, try and treat yourself at least on your first visit to as nice a place as you can afford.  After your first trip, you will either be one of the "just need a shower and a bed" brigade that don't mind staying anywhere for $20/night or you will be one of the "rare opportunity to have a room like this for £50/night" brigade.
5) Try and fly direct, plenty of sale fares in advance, but 11 hours direct >>>>20 hours indirect for most.
6) Now you have an idea of hotels, dates and budget, post ITT and there are losts of offers etc that several on here keep an eye out for.  Pricing is very variable, so without that info, no one can give you (good) advice.

Ultimately, Vegas is an easy holiday destination.  The airport is about $20 away from the strip in a cab, everyone speaks English and if you ever get lost, just look to the skyline for a reference point.  Difficult to get into trouble (unless you have a chronic gambling problem) in Vegas, more so than most alternative holiday destinations.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: May 08, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »

Just a side to Simon's point number 2 (because I'm a pro at Vegas now), you could Youtube the hotel room you are thinking of, someone will have probably videoed it and reviewed it on there.   I looked at a few before deciding on the one with the jacuzzi in the bedroom.

YEAHMAN123

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »

Read some of this I'm excited as I'm going out 22nd June!!! Friends booking so know more details soon and will have some questions if Vegas regulars could kindly share there wisdom Smiley

When you get to where you wana go
and you know the things you wana know
your smiling Smiley
brookie

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 08, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

Read some of this I'm excited as I'm going out 22nd June!!! Friends booking so know more details soon and will have some questions if Vegas regulars could kindly share there wisdom Smiley

hi yeahman am going 29/5 cant wait only my second time
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 08, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

thanks for the advice fellas. appreciated! ur all goldstar
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »

Could somebody kindly explain how the 'comp' system works in Vegas cardrooms?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: