blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272889 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Whats the best Tip you have ever received?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats the best Tip you have ever received?  (Read 13177 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »

"This dog is a freak" were Peter Meldrum's exact words to me when he told my to lump on Moral Standards @ 33/1 for the Greyhound Derby around fifteen years ago. Peter used to write the Racing Post's pricewise column in the greyhound section and is known as one of if not the best judge around to this day.

Wimbledon, as greyhoung afficionados will know almost always favours early-paced types and as that is where The Greyhound Derby is held each year many thought that Peter's confidence was misplaced and poo-pooed the idea of a come-from-behind dog winning the Derby. I went along with him and had a nice little £2K/£60 with those lovely blokes at Corals.

Anyhow Moral Standards won that Derby unbeaten in the competition having come from last to first in every round.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

Had the good fortune to "hear " a good word about Cockney Rebel early in 2007. Invested at 66/1 - 33/1 every weekend prior to the race. Those who had faith were rewarded.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=19839.0

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »

Sirius prospect obv

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »

My uncle used to give me tips he received from Colin Tinkler back in the 80's and early 90's. Couldn't get to the bookies in time for Nortons Coin winning the gold cup.  Angry

A friend of a friend told me about a horse called Tim Soldier who i backed and won at 25's. Only put a score each way as the previous form of this horse was no better than mine as a punter.

Ah! The element of surprise
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

Had the good fortune to "hear " a good word about Cockney Rebel early in 2007. Invested at 66/1 - 33/1 every weekend prior to the race. Those who had faith were rewarded.

Came onto this thread to highlight this. Loved it.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »

Came onto this thread to highlight this. Loved it.
Yeah i read that last night and wished I was around Blonde in those days!!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

Who can forget the coo some of us had when Blue Square thought it shrewd to price up Paul 'just an internet player so can't be any good' Foltyn at 150/1 to win the GUKPT final in 2008.
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

A little off topic but I'm going to post my 'one that got away':

One of the majors was approaching - I believe the USPGA - and Will Hill had decided it appropriate to price up a few novelty markets, largely loosely based around players' names.

One was called "Cink to Sink" - Stewart Cink was priced at 7/1 to put his ball in the water at any point during the tournament.

Now, I know very little about golf, but this looked mahoosive. By my reckoning there were 4/18 holes where there was a realistic chance of a player hitting water (a couple of par and a couple of over water approaches I believe), and Cink would play at least two rounds giving him 8 chances at it. He was around the 4/6 mark to make the cut, meaning 60% of the time he'd get another 8 'attempts'.

So....he would have an implied 12.8 shots at hitting the water.

Here, my pricing efforts ran out of steam, as I had no idea what chance there was of someone hitting said watery locations. 2% a time? 5%? 10%? By my reckoning it would have to be <c1% for the bet not to be value.

Discretion is however sometimes the better part of valour, so I e-mailed my mate for his thoughts. By the time he came back about an hour later, saying he, like me, made it more like even money than odds against, it was too late. The market had disappeared from t'internet, and the chap I got on the phone said "the market had been taken down due to heavy activity".

Oh dear, I had been onto a winner it would seem.

The outcome? Cink hit the water about 8 holes into his first round.

Marvellous.

Allez!!
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »

If I said mine concerned Dancing on Ice would you still respect me in the morning? ;o)

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

If I said mine concerned Dancing on Ice would you still respect me in the morning? ;o)

Yes. Special bets should always be your biggest bets.

Which reminds me of the best tip I've ever received - Chris Hollins to win Strictly. 40/1. Bonkers. Also had it in an enhanced odds double at 1000/1 with Jedward to win X-factor that year, who traded 9/2 before fizzling out.

Allez!!
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »

Who can forget the coo some of us had when Blue Square thought it shrewd to price up Paul 'just an internet player so can't be any good' Foltyn at 150/1 to win the GUKPT final in 2008.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »

Never really had any tips outside of here and some of those aren't really tips lol.  

Anything from Horneris is well received. I'll never forget that 20 or 30/1 (or something like that) shot he posted a year or so ago, that was nice, made me wish I was a bit more balla in the betting stakes, had about £3 each way on it and romped in with around £100 anyway, v nice.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:40:27 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »

yeah that was huge for me aswell, we crushed bsq that day
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »

dont gamble

t

Just me
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »

This might just be the best tip i have ever had...
Picking up my indian takeaway tonight and the head stable bloke of Twiston Davis also in there, we are both regs and having a pint...
Cut a long story short...he tipped "the new one" or "the only one" or something similar, its his tip for Cheltenham Gold Cup week, its in a bumper???
I dont bet on the horses so not sure if that makes sense to you guys or not.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: