blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 05:45:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272954 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Staking deals and markup. Discussion?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Staking deals and markup. Discussion?  (Read 33805 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »

selling at 80-20= ?

isn't that more the norm these days?

The only thing is, is somebody going to be motivated to grind a 12bb stack when they are only going to get 20% of a cash? Like sitting there for 2 days close to the bubble you're probably going to make ICM mistakes around the bubble because you need a stack to justify any kind of hourly.

I think generally anybody who plays a tournament should have at least 35% of themselves. But of course who am I to say how motivated somebody is going to be.

Yeh I mean, even with 70/30s saying Joe Bloggs ROI in the £500 deepstack is 25%, that means he's going to make on average £125 everytime he plays it, and say he play's it for 6 hours on average. If he's only getting 20/30% of the profits he's making £25 or £37.50 everytime. Across 6 hours that's an hourly of £4-£6....

.....and his backer is going to be losing 17%(£85) every time he plays it.

I play a £1000 GUKPT.  I'd like to think I am still fairly positive roi in these, but it probably costs me upwards of £100 in expenses even before I cost in the time off work.  So overall my EV is probably negative, so reallistically I am just playing for ego reasons, and I am a bit of a masochist for stil playing them.

Yet somebody who isn't rolled for it wants to mantain £6 an hour, while I lose 17% backing them.  You serious?

If you aren't happily with the hourly of slow structured deepstack live donkaments, don't play.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:49:18 PM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »

I mean this issue only comes about because ppl actually buy these type of packages. Sure there almost always terrible value, but the ppl would buy these have their reasons and generally just fancy a punt so fair play. If it sells, more power to the person freerolling if not they will have to offer something that nearly constitutes value....

@whollyflush on twitter
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »

I don't really care how much the mark up is etc etc... up to the buyer what he wants to buy and at what rate as has been discussed numerous times.

I just found it a bit odd to ask for 100% staking into  £500+ comps on a regular basis and then say if you binked you would continue to ask for a 100% staking... thats like saying to your mate im on my uppers can I come and stay with you and eat ur food but if i win the lottery id like you to still keep me..

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

With  not winning a seat this weekend I decided to help out the blog during the devilfish stream then after with Tighty. Before the event I had numerous people on here and Facebook saying they wanted to buy a piece of me. 7 people in total wanted between 10% and 75% and could have sold out almost 3 times. I assume that these offers would all be at 1: 1.0.

As I am walking around blogging Everyman and his dog is like "did you play yesterday " and I explain that I only play deepstacks if I win a seat ( due to family commitments and traveling light as Tikays diary would put it ). Two guys offered to put me in then and there as a late registration, one splitting the money 70/30 and one 50/50 ( I politely declined their offers I know of people that sell at 2.0 and think this equates to the being put in at a 50/50 split).

Surely is the market not dictated to by supply and demand. The guys who sells at 70/30 can't have his ethics questioned but is just taking the best option that is available to him. If making him put the deal is actually 1:1.3 (Triggs figure) looks a bit more transparent then I am sure he would do it.

Just to make sure we are all on a level playing field I have noticed that a lot of people moaning about reds 70/30 and advocating using the other system are backed players in make up deals. Can you work out for me in the 1:1.x formula what the amount is when you are put into tournies for 50% on a make up deal.  I would bet the price that you get it is not far off the price that red has asked.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »

The deal I have is that my buyins are paid for in full and I get to keep 50% of the profits. That would be @ 2.0 were it not for the makeup. I don't know whether it's possible to calculate an equivalent figure taking into account the makeup component. 

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »

Make up deals are completely different Jase. You can't compare them at all.

The player gets all his buy ins paid for but he owes the staker all of the money. It's just a loan really with the player basically working for the staker and earning a wage based on how much he wins.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »

Galen Hall put up some interesting staking thoughts on 2+2 recently, though obviously it is more apt for Americans with the tax implications he discusses ...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/184/staking-selling-shares-live/couple-thoughts-about-markup-1175405/
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

Funny timing, was gonna put staking thread up for big buyin comp and was playing around with what price to charge cos think its the type of comp people overestimate the field quality and underestimate edges due to size of the buyin and misperception of players abilities. Will leave it a few weeks now Smiley

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »

Just my opinion...I have always thought it a little cheeky when I see these 70/30 fully staked by backers. The player wants to free roll the event but is basically saying up front that I don't want to have my own cash at risk. It isn't rocket science surely, if you are not rolled to play a 500 event, or you are not comfy putting your money into it, why are you asking to play it?

Just play the 50/100/150 that you can afford.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

The deal I have is that my buyins are paid for in full and I get to keep 50% of the profits. That would be @ 2.0 were it not for the makeup. I don't know whether it's possible to calculate an equivalent figure taking into account the makeup component. 
Ok Ty for being open and obv makeup has to reduce that 2.0 considerably tho.

Yeah I do get that also Matt but for people to say 70/30 is not value and have a dig is completely wrong. If you are happy to buy buy but if you are not happy to buy then don't.  

After back to back finals ceri must be considered better value than Tikay but who are we to say that they should ask between 1:1.0/1.3.  I am pretty sure if either of em put up a staking thread asking for 1:2 they would both sell out (both for differing reasons)

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »

Funny timing, was gonna put staking thread up for big buyin comp and was playing around with what price to charge cos think its the type of comp people overestimate the field quality and underestimate edges due to size of the buyin and misperception of players abilities. Will leave it a few weeks now Smiley

You will get 1:2.5 you legend ( just not off Tom) Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »

Whens the $25k mate?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »

Ok Ty for being open and obv makeup has to reduce that 2.0 considerably tho.

Yeah I do get that also Matt but for people to say 70/30 is not value and have a dig is completely wrong. If you are happy to buy buy but if you are not happy to buy then don't.  

After back to back finals ceri must be considered better value than Tikay but who are we to say that they should ask between 1:1.0/1.3.  I am pretty sure if either of em put up a staking thread asking for 1:2 they would both sell out (both for differing reasons)

That is what we used to call a SOTBO

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

Whens the $25k mate?

Surely the $1mil One-Drop at the WSOP?

Allez!!
JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »

Whens the $25k mate?

Surely the $1mil One-Drop at the WSOP?

Nah Dave got a seat for the $25 WPT for winning Dublin. Was just wondering when it is as have a v small %
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: