blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Live staking interest wondering...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live staking interest wondering...  (Read 13100 times)
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »

Hi,

I'm John Black, I have a blog/ diary on blonde :
http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=56559.0

Hendon Mob
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=107714

I am putting up this thread now I have 300 posts because I basically haven't got a proper roll for live tournaments and as such won't be able to afford to play the tournaments I think I should be and want to on a regular basis.  I'm wondering if a person/ people would be interested in working out a live staking deal/ package for regular staking on a 3 or 6monthly basis with me putting up between 30-40% of the necessaries in order to play for 50-60% of myself in the <£500 tournaments around the UK.

I live in MK and would generally be looking toward the G Luton, Aspers Northampton, DTD Nottingham and other close-ish live events or further away worthwhile events (GSP or UKIPT).

Other than my hendon mob results I also managed to win 2x £100 fo's (one at a London club and one at G Luton) last year, a Super50 at DTD, final tabling another 3 or 4 and am spending a lot of time on my game.  I'm mainly playing cash online for Pleno at the moment, and that will be my priority day to day.

This deal would be looking to play between 10-30 events in a 12 month period I would expect, however I am also working on my tournament play with some friends who are very successful online and live MTT players (<£1k buyin stakes).

In the cash deal I have Pleno would get 'first refusal' on any piece of this action however I know he has plenty of other 'horses' and as such don't necessarily expect him to take it all.

This is an interest gathering and flexible proposal as I'm not highly experienced in the staking/ backing world.  Please feel free to pm me or post questions or requests for more information.  I have always been +ve ROI in low stakes tournaments, from my blog you'll know my daemon has been cash games.

I hope this is ok/ makes sense and look forward to working something out with 'you' whoever you are.

jb

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »

Just woke up, but I don't think you mentioned wether you are willing to pay makeup which will be very important for someone who can afford to take up this offer I would imagine. Majority of people say yea I will happily pay never expecting to get in it, but it doesn't always happen like that.

I stake quite regularly on blonde. I think 30-40% for 50-60% is fine for a one off punt but for a regular deal could be a bit too much. If you play for the % you put up it would probably be a lot more attractive

What do I know tho? You probs have 20PMs from some ballas wanting to snap your dick off.GL

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

I wanted suggestions that's why I asked.  I would struggle to play a £100fo for 40% and tbh my edge in these fields is insane.

However I would be willing to look at a makeup deal of some kind.

That's why I said flexible and to be discussed/ cemented with the backers....

I am happy to consider lots of offers of small %'s if that is interesting to some of you... a bunch of 5-10%'s are fine imo.

And that would obv be much more affordable if a 3monthly schedule included for example:
- 3x £100 fo @ luton
- 4x Super50 @ dtd
- 2x dtd500
- 3x dtd150

= £1950.... take the 60% and chop it up and suddenly 5% is only £97.50....

Not exactly balla stakes and not exactly a big risk. 

I want to put money up myself to reassure people I'm not freerolling for the fun of it, the ONLY reason for this interest thread is I'm trying to be more responsible in general and better BRM is obviously part of that.

thanks all...

jb

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Why not just take out the 2 x dtd500 comps and keep the lot for yourself?

If your edge is insane you should be able to survive off 20 buy ins easily enough and keep the edge all for yourself rather than give it away to backers.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »

Glad you would be willing to look at a makeup deal.

Couple of points though:

If you would struggle to play for 40% of a £100 freeze then why have x4 Super 50s included in your example sched..?

If your edge in these fields is so 'insane' then just spin up one buy in on cash, reg and you're good to go.

Being more responsible and trying to develop better BRM is obv a very good move to make but not 100% sure this is the right way to do it.

Probs go for comp by comp staking for a few £150+ events. Then when you have more experience and a couple of results someone would snap this offer up, should you so need it then..

Pleno made a very good post in your diary either yesterday or the day before about how you perceive yourself, when you say you are crushing the tables etc. It could be applied here imo. I would actually be interested to hear his thoughts on this thread, i imagine you approached him first?

Probs come across as a massive dick, but meh. Tried to be polite. First time i have ever put anything negative on a staking/staking request thread as i firmly think it is bad etiquette. Just trying to help you for the future.

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

Why not just take out the 2 x dtd500 comps and keep the lot for yourself?

If your edge is insane you should be able to survive off 20 buy ins easily enough and keep the edge all for yourself rather than give it away to backers.

True, but the point of having the dtd500's is that the GTD gives me the best shot at setting myself up properly.

I exited Jan's 500 with   vs   on   .

Feb's dtd500 with   vs   on   ... where the guy crain because and I quote "well you'll have AK all the time, its a good move..." = wp sir.

and bust the UKIPT after my 180K pot with AQ vs K10 aipf went sour and then my KK < A7 and A7btn into sb AQ....

So it's not like I'm busting in spectacularly random style.  When I can put a few hands together in a row, I'll take one of these down.  Of that I have no doubt, but need to be playing them in order to get there... tbh the main idea is to hit the DTD GTD's as they're so big I don't mind sharing the PP a time or two...

hope all this helps... any more questions or suggestions please!!!!?!

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »

Glad you would be willing to look at a makeup deal.

Couple of points though:

If you would struggle to play for 40% of a £100 freeze then why have x4 Super 50s included in your example sched..?

If your edge in these fields is so 'insane' then just spin up one buy in on cash, reg and you're good to go.

Being more responsible and trying to develop better BRM is obv a very good move to make but not 100% sure this is the right way to do it.

Probs go for comp by comp staking for a few £150+ events. Then when you have more experience and a couple of results someone would snap this offer up, should you so need it then..

Pleno made a very good post in your diary either yesterday or the day before about how you perceive yourself, when you say you are crushing the tables etc. It could be applied here imo. I would actually be interested to hear his thoughts on this thread, i imagine you approached him first?

Probs come across as a massive dick, but meh. Tried to be polite. First time i have ever put anything negative on a staking/staking request thread as i firmly think it is bad etiquette. Just trying to help you for the future.

No, not a massive dick at all... the idea would be that the super50's just have a big ROI and super soft field.  The £100 fo's I played only had like 1.5k up top whereas the Super50 had 2.9k when I won it last October.

I definitely think that pleno's points of view will be valid as we're talking a lot about hands and ideas... but I'm also sure that he hasn't seen how solid my low stakes MTT game is and the cash game 'spew' were working to eradicate is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Maybe it would just be better to put myself into the smaller ones and put up staking for each individual £150+... that's something to consider for sure.

Going for the spin up on cash and go from there is what I've done in the past, and I may go that way again if need be. (just trying to structure a better way for now)

No probs again and thanks for the comments..

I'm here chilling at home for a couple of hours before I go away for a week with work, I'll be working out finances and exact BRM considerations in that time.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

just sell x% for each tournaments imo, too many staking deals with too many people is just so messy.

Also, not being rude or anything you don't actually have any PROOF you can beat these games yet, I think for sure that you can (with a tweak or two) but 100% the best way to go is to sell action for each comp as it comes along (it'll all very likely sell, as you're a hilarious character and very capable at poker) then when you've got a result or two + more experience you can come to the table with offers like this with a little more weight. Or maybe you wont need to cos you'll have all the money Cheesy

Staking deals are actually quite a bit of pressure and I think nowadays people are way to quick to rush into deals that allow them to play bigger rather than just slowly getting up the natural way.  Getting into 6/7k makeup for example is going to be bad for your morale, I think it would be a very bad move for you personally right now when you're progressing so nicely.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »

This does come across like "let me get to 300 posts and then get blonde  to pay for my poker"  John. I  am pretty sure that you would easily get staked on a tourney by tourney basis if you put up the stakes individually and would sell out quite rapidly without a doubt. I will defo take 10% of your next tourney and i usually only back mates and people i may have pissed off ( dreenie, kinboshi) or for good karma and not roi.

Would it not be better to keep all your eggs in one basket and have pleno back you for the live pokers as well as on line. A lot of guys come here and say I have this edge on these people and I'm reality they don't or in titty language "won't ever play a decent live sample to prove it."

This thread has given me some ideas tho and need to chat with a few people now.

Gl

Just reading again and putting you might " struggle to play £100 comps for 40% " don't come across too good either. I assume you have a decent well paid job from all the traveling you do so you are not looking to make a living from this And are wanting to use it to gain live experience
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:32:13 PM by smashedagain » Logged

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »

Lol just read for third time and got down to daves post. Pretty much what he says is always right in everything lol.

Have you thought about blackbelt pokers , bankroll supply, poker risk etc etc

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »

It's oxymoronic to talk about insane edges and then have to concern oneself with BRM.

I don't take the view that 'if people are so good, why do they need staking' as so many great players are staked.

Often this will be due to the fact that, whilst they may have won WSOP's, WPTs etc and have an edge, they also realise the edge is not insane.

You need to think in more realistic terms too and I think the suggestion of individual staking arrangements to shot take at decent events (ignore luton, northampton etc) is probably a good way to go.

The only reason I talk about realism is that you mention specific exit hands and beats. Does this really mean anything ? I don't think we can distill a no result rather than a big cash to a couple of beats - it's not real.

sola virtus nobilitat
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »

It's oxymoronic to talk about insane edges and then have to concern oneself with BRM.

I don't take the view that 'if people are so good, why do they need staking' as so many great players are staked.

Often this will be due to the fact that, whilst they may have won WSOP's, WPTs etc and have an edge, they also realise the edge is not insane.

You need to think in more realistic terms too and I think the suggestion of individual staking arrangements to shot take at decent events (ignore luton, northampton etc) is probably a good way to go.

The only reason I talk about realism is that you mention specific exit hands and beats. Does this really mean anything ? I don't think we can distill a no result rather than a big cash to a couple of beats - it's not real.

Nirvana and Dave talk the most sense on this site- bar none

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »

Excellent, excellent post.

A lot of people are very misguided about how big there edges actually are, and moreso, what an "edge" actually is/means. Take PLO (my field of life) for example, I've played 600-700,000 hands on PLO in mylife and I have no idea what bb/100 I should be winning at various stakes - literally no idea, because even if I knew how to know I'd have to play so many hands to settle it that it's not worth my time thinking about. In my head I either think I have the best of it or I don't in a game, I might still play a game I thought I was a small dog but I'd do it knowing that I was prolly a loser in the lineup and try adjust my strategy accordingly.

In professional gambling (which when you're asking for along term backing deal is what we're talking about, claiming to have an "insane" edge in any game without solid fact and numbers behind it (and even with a 5000 tourney sample I could still pick it apart prolly) just doesn't quite cut it, when the chances are no-one prolly has an insane edge in any poker game any more.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:27 PM »

Excellent, excellent post.

A lot of people are very misguided about how big there edges actually are, and moreso, what an "edge" actually is/means. Take PLO (my field of life) for example, I've played 600-700,000 hands on PLO in mylife and I have no idea what bb/100 I should be winning at various stakes - literally no idea, because even if I knew how to know I'd have to play so many hands to settle it that it's not worth my time thinking about. In my head I either think I have the best of it or I don't in a game, I might still play a game I thought I was a small dog but I'd do it knowing that I was prolly a loser in the lineup and try adjust my strategy accordingly.

In professional gambling (which when you're asking for along term backing deal is what we're talking about, claiming to have an "insane" edge in any game without solid fact and numbers behind it (and even with a 5000 tourney sample I could still pick it apart prolly) just doesn't quite cut it, when the chances are no-one prolly has an insane edge in any poker game any more.

Excellent posts.

I wonder what % of the UKIPT at DTD last week would answer yes to the question "Do you have an edge against this field?"

Poker, sex and driving are the three things where people tend to over estimate their ability.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »

FWIW I'm a terrible driver.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print