blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Live staking interest wondering...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live staking interest wondering...  (Read 13102 times)
Rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=55981.0

Perhaps you can regale us all here John with your tales of the "insane" edge you had over the fields at Luton in general

No recollection of you doing anything in either the tournys or cash you played at Luton

Your behaviour however does ring a bell,you seemed to manage to upset the locals on more than one occasion?

Didnt they ban you?

"Jimmy White told me the other night he hates name droppers,i had to agree"
Dave Johnson August 2010
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »

First off I really like John, he is sincerely a very nice guy but can emphasize why he may have pissed off previously, he is actually very similar to how I was about 18 months ago at the table, but I guarantee you its purely down to enthusiasm of the game and that he is just having a great time, he isn't the kind of guy to tuck himself away into his headphones and read his "tablet". He will speak, he will berate a little bit, he will take the piss out of himself and he will generally have a good time. Definitely heart is in the right place and he doesn't mean to offend anybody and I'm sure he would be the first to apologize if anybody thought otherwise.

Onto the playing stuff I'd normally suggest that players have a good online record before going into big staking deals (both for online and live) basically you don't know your edge in tournaments until you've really played them alot. For example, I would have thought I would have been hugely +Ev in tournaments 2 years ago, but I probably had no clue on exact ranges I should be shoving from xbbs from y position. I'm sure John has a good idea, but he simply hasn't played enough tournaments online to understand both MTT variance and to learn from mistakes, the latter being one of the biggest contributions to a players growth.  I've previously labelled John "delusional" about his thoughts on his edge vs most live fields, and whilst this isn't pointed directly at him it can be said the same from almost every player in the world. Negreanu probably thinks he is +ev in certain tournaments that he isn't, Hellmuth probably think he could be +ev in 100rs online and I'm sure this applies to other pros, dtd regs, gala fisssshcakes, myself in Marbella and beyond.

From joining the staking deal with myself, John has learned alot, from absolutely needless spew (#lovesthegame) to listening and adjusting correctly he is starting to make improvements and slowly seeing the benefits. If he joined a deal with somebody who could teach him more about tournaments and understand shoving/calling ranges perfectly alongside other fundamentals as well as the improvements he is making to his overall game via the coaching with myself, lildave et al he could definitely be a +ev horse here.

Good luck either way, if nothing comes of it,it could actually be a positive thing for you.

xo

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »

if he is sick good at the 100s why not just play them on ur own dime?

fwiw when i played with him

I found him very annoying and seemed to worry more about a stupid t shirt prop bet then playing the game

ps i am a mardy fucker
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:40:16 PM by paulhouk03 » Logged

Just me
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »

I think Rockstars comments are a lil out of line I don't think John's table conduct should be in question. I actually believe, as I said from watching him play that he would be a +EV horse for live tournaments. My advice is that getting into a live staking deal at this time wouldn't be the shrewdest move for him. He is clearly developing well under Pads and that should be the focus with a couple of live punts thrown in as and when.

+1 to what Pleno said. Really nice guy, #lovesthegame, is a pleasure to talk to about poker even though he makes my eyes hurt sometimes, I think the time to crush live tournaments will come, but it doesn't need to come just let.  Too much criticizm ITT prolly, but the stuff r.e the edges is true and something you're going to have to think about, so it may as well be said now.

There is time Smiley

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:38:47 AM »

Bet op is chuffed to be taking away advice and good luck wishes from his staking thread

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »

I read this thread last night when it had 0 replies and I remember thinking "Jesus H Christ if this OP, with no online records whatsoever, about $6000 in hendonmob cashes (2 months of buyins for the stakes he's asking for, spread over 2 years) and a caveat saying an existing backer has "first dibs" on the good action, gets any interest whatsoever then there really is no hope for humanity". Then when I looked just now and there were 2 pages of replies, you had me reaching for the double facepalm gif (http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Zhyd/DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg FYI). Thankfully there is some semblance of sanity out there and blonde isn't giving staking to absolutely everyone that asks for it, just to be polite, as seemed to be the trend at the minute.

The thread still contains a disturbingly large amount of hand-wringing, "don't be disheartened" bullshit for my liking though. DO be disheartened imo, disheartened from making threads like this. Your OP is insulting, you're asking strangers for thousands of pounds and you can't even be arsed to play a few hundred $10 tournaments online 1st? (Or 100,000 hands of ssnl cash if that's your thing). Then you throw in the added bonus that someone else gets to pick the choice nuggets out of your horseshit sandwich before we get a bite?

Whilst it is important to shelter new posters from the harsher realities of blonde until they get used to the place, and I don't want to see people victimised or insulted for no reason, I think the culture of not flaming staking threads is harmful to blonde. There needs to be a voice of reason somewhere, I think if there were, the effort that goes into thread OPs, and hopefully therefore our staking decisions and outcomes, would be vastly improved imo.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »

So are you in or out?
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »

from my experience, jumping from game type to game type is the nut low thing to do when starting out. i went from live cash, to sng's, to online mtt's to plo cash bla de blah, and never really became very good at any of them. you have a staking deal with pads, which looks like an excellent oppourtunity, put your enthusiasm into that for a few months, head down and graft, and alongside pads and his other stable, you'l give yourself a great chance to crush. and after you've shown this to pads, im sure he will give you the chance to shot take a few live tournies, or the odd sunday million, whatever you want. because pads knows better than anyone what its like to progress up the levels, and what is needed.

best of luck with everything
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 05:43:27 AM »

John, please bookmark this thread.

One day you're going to realise how twisted, insane and delusional it is to think that it might be a good idea to play live poker tournaments believing that you have a 'massive edge'. You may well be in the top 10% of the players in the field or have an expected ROI of 100% but the way that it comes across is that you expect to be printing money....so much so that you couldn't bear to have only 40% of yourself in £100 freezeouts.

You will literally drive yourself nuts going into every live event thinking that all you need to do is 'not be unlucky' or whatever to miss out on a cash/final table/win.

How it works is that you flick your money in, you play the best you can and you hope that everything else falls into place so that you can win. A few hundred tournaments later the hope is replaced with indifference, but it feels much the same. In fact I hadn't even noticed the change until I read this thread, so thanks for that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:46:44 AM by DMorgan » Logged

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »

Keys for Primeminister?

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »

Keys for Primeminister?
He would not take the reduction in his hourly Smiley

I have said I will take 10% of his first stake because John has brought something new to the forum and his contributions are excellent. Who knows there may well be someone reading this who may want to take a punt. It's all about supply and demand. As you point out Everyman and his dog got backing for the ukipt and afaik the vast majority never made day 2, but you won't ever hear moans from the backers.

I loved Keys selling himself in auctions and really wanted it take off. I was a little diss appointed to see he only got bids upto 1.4/1.5 especially when some people who are getting 1.2 with no online or live results to speak of.

How much would people be prepared to pay for a piece of action in Marc railtard1 wright ATM. That guy is red hot both online and live and just keeps on delivering.  I am so pleased for millidonk and the others and gl at the ept today

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »

John, please bookmark this thread.

One day you're going to realise how twisted, insane and delusional it is to think that it might be a good idea to play live poker tournaments believing that you have a 'massive edge'. You may well be in the top 10% of the players in the field or have an expected ROI of 100% but the way that it comes across is that you expect to be printing money....so much so that you couldn't bear to have only 40% of yourself in £100 freezeouts.

You will literally drive yourself nuts going into every live event thinking that all you need to do is 'not be unlucky' or whatever to miss out on a cash/final table/win.

How it works is that you flick your money in, you play the best you can and you hope that everything else falls into place so that you can win. A few hundred tournaments later the hope is replaced with indifference, but it feels much the same. In fact I hadn't even noticed the change until I read this thread, so thanks for that.

Wins thread. Last paragraph is genius

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »

If the guy had degenned his money off a la Solaris he'd already have sold out

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »

This thread has started to really win!

IS the most perfect summary of live tournaments ever.

Jake Cody/Venassa Selbst/Jason Mercier are terrific tournament players, but even they aren't as good as the results they've had. No-one is.

Key's post is pretty harsh but the theme is accurate, a LOT of people I've come across in the last 18 months who are starting to play poker don't realise the 1 fundamental point that it takes a while to start genuinely beating poker. I think it took me 2.5 years to be able to actually consider myself a winning (no lols Keys) player. Just needs commitment, hard work and dedication (all of which John has+ some natural ability)

Basically it's genuinely really really hard to win at poker. SOME PEOPLE MAKE IT LOOK EASY BUT IT ISN'T! Unless I'm just terrible, which is possible lol

So are you in or out?

Cheesy

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »

Some really great contributions and posts here and certainly some food for thought .

Obviously this staking request is fundamentally flawed in many ways as anybody claiming to have "an insane edge on the field " is either seriously deluded or hasnt played enough ABC poker tournaments to account for variance or bad beats etc.

In cash games  you will normally play against 2 to 9 players so " an edge" is somewhat easier to qualify whereas in a large field this is going to become so diluted that regardless of your confidence or ability the run good factor still needs to be on your side . I agree with Jason that it comes across as "Ive reached 300 posts so Ill ask for some staking" but we all know that things dont work that way , as generally potential investors need to see a definitive structure , hopefully value and a good chance of a return on their investment (unless its a one off punt or a mates rate )

Although I accept in his opening post he did ask for some feed back , I do feel with a little more thought and advice a more constructive and tangible request could of been formulated .

I would hope he doesnt take offence at the responses on here as this is nothing to do with his poker ability or him as a person , as I see most of the feedback as been constructive criticism for both the player and the good of the forum .

On a positive note... I remember playing with John on the same table 2 weeks ago at The Fox Club and he played very well , so my advice would be to start at lower stakes ,put a workable plan together , maybe listen to what Pleno and other people have to say and learn to walk ( finance wise ) before you can run .

Good Luck
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: