blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A question for the over 40's on here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question for the over 40's on here.  (Read 10250 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »

Didn't realise there was a page 3, was replying mainly to Red's comment about being suprised with me taking the money easily.  I see others have made my points already

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »

If I skipped to 40 odd and had a billion I'm pretty sure my wife would be around 21.

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »

I'm 39 so skipping to 41 is no biggie.

Isn't it a bit different if you are older with grown up children?  You could be possibly be going back to be younger than they are and I'm not sure I'd like that.  I certainly wouldn't want to outlive them.  What about your wife/partner?  They wouldn't be 28.  This would be amplified with older people, maybe a 60 year old married to a 28 year old and again I'd outlive them by possibly 30 years.

Part of life is growing old and growing old with loved ones and seeing your children and grandchildren grow. I don't think I'd want to change that.  Perhaps wording it as 'Money please not even close' was a bit flippant but I don't think going back to be a lot younger would be all it's cracked up to be.

Just my thoughts on it.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

There'd have to be some caveats thrown in to make me change my mind.

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

If I skipped to 40 odd and had a billion I'm pretty sure my wife would be around 21.

And half a billion and no wife 6 months later  Grin
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

I am 28 and I would take the money to wake up and be 48! With that sort of money you have a decent 20yrs left in you.

15 - 23yrs old were my glory days, at 28 its already over. Just grinding out the 9-5 til mortgage is paid and I can start living again. Would turn down any amount to snap go back to 15 and I would do everything the exact same as I already did, but maybe take a video camera this time around.
Lol. Yeah if only we had iPhones when I was at my peak. Nowadays it's limp to jizz in about 30 seconds.

This stuff should be in your diary Jase
It's not my diary Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

prenup ldo

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »

prenup ldo

Actually I wouldn't have a wife  I'd just be swanning round Thailand like that Tim sharkey dude.

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »

prenup ldo

Actually I wouldn't have a wife  I'd just be swanning round Thailand like that Tim sharkey dude.
Just surveyed three 21 year olds and got a unanimous decision. A billion is nowhere near enough Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »

prenup ldo

Just surveyed three 21 year olds and got a unanimous decision. A billion is nowhere near enough Smiley

Ive just surveyed my mother who is 60 in December and she'd take the 28. Then she actually said if she could wake up same age but pain free then she would. If i could take her pain away for a day id do it.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

And half a billion and no wife 6 months later  Grin

prenup ldo

Actually I wouldn't have a wife  I'd just be swanning round Thailand like that Tim sharkey dude.

You'd will be probably be dead within a year then lol
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »

prenup ldo

Really? Even your not that ugly mate lol
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »

28 ainec. I'd even take 38. I don't need money to make me happy.

All the money in the world can't buy time. Your dead for eternity.

What about the amount of good you could do for so many generations of your family and others with that much money though ?

I'm massively in the "you don't need money to be happy" as well as "money isn't everything" camps but it does have a lot of positives.

Such a tough spot to balance.

I don't really know what "All the good I could do" would be though. Oh I know I could buy them fancy stuff and make it so as they never had to work again, but as I said, money doesn't buy happiness.

If my dad were choosing between having loads of money or to be 28 again so that he could spend another 40 years with us, I know which one I would want him to pick.

I watched a programme about Terry Pratchet, millionaire author of the 'Discworld' series of novels recently. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. His time is very limited now, and he would gladly give all his millions for a few more years of being able to enjoy the simple pleasures on life. (Which cost nothing anyway)

In the programme, which is called ' Choosing to die' (You can watch it on Youtube) He went to see several terminally ill peope, one of whom was millionaire hotelier Peter Smedley. Peter had decided to go to Switzerland for an assisted suicide. There was no question that he would have given up his millions in a heartbeat to have a little more time.

Frankly, I'm amazed and appalled by some of the comments in this thread, especially the one from Silo Graham, (Sorry Silo) who said "I'd like the cash please, I'd happily skip forward to 41 to get it". 

Andrew Marvell once said:

...but at my back I always hear
time's winged chariot hurrying near..

Well as you get older, you will begin to hear it too. It starts as a gentle sound off somewhere in the distance, and before you know where you are, it's clattering across the cobbles on iron clad wheels. Impossible to ignore. 

Marshall Barer wrote some lyrics, and Don Williams sang them.

I’m just a country boy
Money have I none
But I’ve got silver in the stars
And gold in the morning sun

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I wouldn't sell a year of my life for all the money in the world.

Think that's quite short sighted tbh Tom. We are talking about being a billionaire, as in you would instantly be one of the most powerful men in the world. You don't think you could make major positive influential changes in the world with that sort of money ?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »

I'm 37 and would snap take the money - I didn't even grow into myself properly till after I was 30 anyway.

All the money in the world can't buy time.

Genuine Rolex - only £10.

Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »

26, Snap taking the money.
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »

Last week i'd have snapped the billion, this week i'll take 28  Smiley

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »