blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:53:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  my very impatient Dad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my very impatient Dad  (Read 34415 times)
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

Hi David

Just read this thread and loved it.

Best wishes to him.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »

Blonde inspires!
A sequence of posts on the 'Things that p*** you off' thread led me to look for a picture of Dad at the Remembrance Day Parade

Click to see full-size image.

He's the second from the right in the foreground (not the beardy guy in the background)

Embarrassing moment #33578

Dad is in that picture - well, he is in that group of In-Pensioners, but he's not visible.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »

Dad came up for a few days this week. He opted to have Christmas Day and Boxing Day at the RHC and travelled up on the train on Thursday, thus avoiding the mayhem which ensues on December 25th in a house containing five children.

He mentioned in passing that next year he quite fancied staying in the Methodist owned hotel near Robin Hood's Bay...
At least I thought it was mentioned in passing...
Twenty minutes later I have my iPad on my lap, we're looking at the website and trying to check prices and failing because the dates are a long way ahead or some such reason.
Ten minutes more and we've called them and booked it.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »

16.07 yesterday - my phone lights up with the news that Dad is calling.

Turning to my pc as I answer the call I'm already opening Teamviewer to assist.

Pleasantries exchanged Dad says "Some of the other guys have got office chairs and I was going to go with one of them to have a look at some, but he's not free till next week"

"Oh. What sort of chair"

"A high backed one - I found one online. A Cadiz Managers Hiigh Back chair. It's £65, but I think that's got VAT to go on."

"Oh"

"What do you think?" The answer to this question is patently redundant, but I ask if he's tried one and obviously he has. I say stuff about 'getting what you pay for in terms of durability, but this is Dad I'm talking to...

So I search for and find the page he's looking at and by 16.30 it's ordered and paid for with free delivery by Wednesday

Lord, grant me patience and make it

SOON!

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

16.07 yesterday - my phone lights up with the news that Dad is calling.

Turning to my pc as I answer the call I'm already opening Teamviewer to assist.

Pleasantries exchanged Dad says "Some of the other guys have got office chairs and I was going to go with one of them to have a look at some, but he's not free till next week"

"Oh. What sort of chair"

"A high backed one - I found one online. A Cadiz Managers Hiigh Back chair. It's £65, but I think that's got VAT to go on."

"Oh"

"What do you think?" The answer to this question is patently redundant, but I ask if he's tried one and obviously he has. I say stuff about 'getting what you pay for in terms of durability, but this is Dad I'm talking to...

So I search for and find the page he's looking at and by 16.30 it's ordered and paid for with free delivery by Wednesday

Lord, grant me patience and make it

SOON!

Seems your Dad still has all his wits about him. VWP impatient Dad.

Cymru am byth
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

Blonde inspires!
A sequence of posts on the 'Things that p*** you off' thread led me to look for a picture of Dad at the Remembrance Day Parade

He's the second from the right in the foreground (not the beardy guy in the background)

Dad is in that picture - well, he is in that group of In-Pensioners, but he's not visible.

I didn't know there were female Chelsea Pensioners too!

(I'm assuming the one on the left is a woman!)

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

Blonde inspires!

I didn't know there were female Chelsea Pensioners too!

(I'm assuming the one on the left is a woman!)

There are a few, a very small few, but there won't be any more for a while.

Females were admitted as an 'equality' thing in 2009, but it seems that once in, some of them decided that they wanted an Animal Farm type of equality.

The facilities they were seeking can't be provided as the buildings currently exist so the admission of females has been suspended until such time as they can be accomodated in suitable style.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

Today, Father joined the Victory Services Club
http://www.vsc.co.uk/

"The Victory Services Club (VSC) is a prestigious Private Members Club for retired and serving members of the Armed Forces, located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End, a 2 minute walk from Oxford Street."

They have 192 bedrooms available through members at costs from as low as £46.50 incl a full English Breakfast and these are available to guests of members so will be good for me and wife when we go down and for my Sister when she comes over from Canada in the Summer. She's confirmed some dates now which will mean she's here for Founders Day in June.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

Love this thread. To they have any pensioners from ethnic backgrounds?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »

Love this thread. To they have any pensioners from ethnic backgrounds?

I haven't seen any in my couple of visits Jason, which isn't to say they aren't there, but an extensive trawl through google images failed to find any.

Most of the current In Pensioners were born before the era of mass immigration so it's not so surprising. There's may also be a cultural issue too with the ethnic minority ex-soldiers being more likely to have extended family support?

Pretty much all of the catering and domestic staff I've seen are from African or Afro-Caribbean backgrounds though. They are all smiles and chuckles too.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

Yes I have never seen any at all. I wondered if there had been any Gurkhas or Indians who had served.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »

Shockingly i haven't visited Dad since he moved in. He's been up to us a couple of times, for the trip to OT and for Christmas, but I haven't been down. Until today.
I'm currently en route from Darlington to Kings Cross, via a change at Doncaster that I obviously didn't notice when I was booking the ticket on Monday evening. £56.25 for this leg of the journey, plus £14 to park the car. Couldn't drive it for much less than that and journey times don't come close.
We're having Lunch in The Dining Hall and doing whatever Dad fancies in the afternoon. I want to check out the cyber cafe so that I have a better chance of resolving IT issues for him when he's in there, and I will give his laptop a sweep. Otherwise, weather dependent we shall fill a few hours and then I'll leave him to go check into the VSC (see earlier post for details) before seeking out the Legendary Mr J G C Black in his London haunts. A beer or two with John and maybe sit in one of the smaller games in whichever venue we find ourselves in.
Sunday Lunch with Dad then train home with a planned stop in Peterborough to pick up my eldest Granddaughter for the last leg home.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »

Please sit in a game with John. Need a psych evaluation plz. Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

Today, Father joined the Victory Services Club
http://www.vsc.co.uk/

"The Victory Services Club (VSC) is a prestigious Private Members Club for retired and serving members of the Armed Forces, located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End, a 2 minute walk from Oxford Street."

They have 192 bedrooms available through members at costs from as low as £46.50 incl a full English Breakfast and these are available to guests of members so will be good for me and wife when we go down and for my Sister when she comes over from Canada in the Summer. She's confirmed some dates now which will mean she's here for Founders Day in June.

Loving this thread David, have been a bridge visitor since the 70's and was always fascinated by the pensioners. My old man uses the vsc as his second home, which is great cos its over the road from the Vic. Smiley
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »

My old man uses the vsc as his second home, which is great cos its over the road from the Vic. Smiley

It is indeed Wink

My bed didn't get a lot of use.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: