blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146649 times)
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:22 AM »

Question - Aside from the Nash charts, has anyone got any recommended reading/viewing on short stack shove/fold/call ranges?

OH HI DER.....
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »

Currently sweating adiman deep in the stars.fr million, go get em!

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »

GPS Nottingham

GPS Nottingham started in typical fashion for me. Walked in to the club about two minutes late, made my way through the sea of people to my seat, and instantly heard got a "Hello Sir" for a very recognisable Irish accent. Drawn on the same table yet again, me and Adrian proceeded to start folding our way to a mincash. I had a bit of an accident along the way before the first break, when after calling a rather large three bet with 66 I saw a flop of 567 rainbow, and accidentally won the lot vs KK.

Me and Adrian got back into our usual table banter within no time. Easily one of the loudest tables in the room, everyone seemed to be having a reasonably good time. Then, as Tighty was approaching, all hell broke loose. The guy who had been sitting next to me, and had been pretty much silent the whole way through, decided to take issue with the noise that we were making. Initially, I think we all thought he was joking around with us, as was the rest of the table. Rather quickly however Sinclair had appeared, and the guy started visibly shaking and directing threats towards me. I promptly shat myself, as he was considerably bigger than me and would pretty easily break my face with his little finger. Thankfully nothing came of things, we all shut up, the atmosphere sort of died a bit but at least I wasn't lying in a hospital bed.

The tournament itself continued fairly normally. The table wasn't really appropriate for a small ball strategy so I opted for a more TAG approach, which was working nicely. Took a bit too long to adjust for my liking, but I got there eventually. Chipped up pretty nicely to about 70k, lost a big pot where I called a min check raise on the turn with a flush draw against a pretty face up set that was never folding a river, but bricked out. A few hands later, I open AQos to 1200 @ 250/500, get a call and raggy makes it 3700. Folds round to me, and I make it 8500. Guy sat in between me and raggy then makes it 17200. Raggy folds, and knowing the player in question I'm pretty sure he can't have too much of a value range in this spot, so I pretty confidently jam. He starts tanking, and announces that he is definitely losing but it's his favourite hand, and eventually flicks it in. We are up against  and hold to move to around 100k.

Very next hand, we find the ol'  and open to 1200. Folds to raggy who again makes it 3700. We ram it in his eye by making it 8500, and he jams just shy of 60k. We call, and are up against  . The Q high ccc flop isn't exactly the best we could have hoped for, and are turned dead to be back down to just over 40. A few hands later we three bet AJ to 6k over a 1500 open and two calls, seeing a flop 3 ways. Flop comes A high, guy who flatted both raises donk leads for 9k, we call and jam over a 12k turn bet. The bad news is delivered when we are up against AK, and fail to improve. I was, and still am, fairly confident that the guy would get it in with pretty much any A in the spot and has a whole bunch of them in his preflop calling range, but what can do.

Side Event

Bit of a disaster, again. Am pretty card dead the whole way through, and lose a big one with A4 when we check raise a  flop, get called and check fold a  turn. A few hands later I open  playing 22k or so to 1200 at 300/600. Both blinds call, and the BB donk jams for 25k on a  two hearts. We call, and he rolls over  and obviously binks the  on the turn. We fail to improve on the river, and wave goodbye to bullet #1. Bullet #2 consists of making a couple of marginal calls and being wrong, and jamming 11bbs with 22 and losing to A10.

Omaha

After busting the second bullet in the side and railing CV in the GPS main for a while, a 2/2 Omaha opens up and I pretty quickly decide to sit in. Gholden7 joins, and we get some pretty good banter going on what develops into a very relaxed, very loose/gambly table. Sean then sits down, we completely lift the straddle cap and the game turns in to comfortably the biggest, and most high variance, game I have ever seen. The banter is fantastic, the action is brilliant, and better still I manage to find  during the 80 straddle and hold in a 4 way all in, making the second nut straight.

Highlight of the weekend however is definitely railing Chris Verndog158 in the GPS. He is currently in the middle of day 3 of the GPS, best of luck to the lad, always nice when good things happen to bad people Wink

polerization

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »

your name on sky rexas?
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

Rexas / Rexas13 or something :p

polerization

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

okay okay you playing today?
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »

okay okay you playing today?

May do after/if I bust the 100

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

Could you please list all the things you have broken/caused damage to through tilt

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

Could you please list all the things you have broken/caused damage to through tilt

1 Phone
1 set of car keys
many poker chips
Several doors.
My pride Wink

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

1 Phone
1 set of car keys
many poker chips
Several doors.
My pride Wink

What your Mumbling mouth ? U needed a steel made mouth soon incase it get broken ! Lol
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:44 AM »

how the hell can you damage a set of keys!?

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »

1 Phone
1 set of car keys
many poker chips
Several doors.
My pride Wink

What about  your Mumbling mouth ? U needed a steel made mouth soon incase it get broken ! Lol

Broken set of keys too !! Thsts bad dude
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 17, 2014, 01:29:20 AM »

1 Phone
1 set of car keys
many poker chips
Several doors.
My pride Wink

What about  your Mumbling mouth ? U needed a steel made mouth soon incase it get broken ! Lol

Broken set of keys too !! Thsts bad dude

Not broken, a little damaged, if you read back a few pages I put up the story.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »

What's up guys Smiley

Poker has, unfortunately, continued to be pretty brutal. I managed my second winning day of the year yesterday, which was nice, but I can't for the life of me seem to have a winning day at hold 'em right now. I've been playing more and more Omaha, and it's starting to dig me out of some holes, which is pretty nice. There was a time a few months ago where everyone seemed to want to play Omaha or DC. When I first showed up at dusk, they were getting two 1/1 Omaha tables pretty regularly. Now, its becoming an effort to get a short handed 2/2 table going, and they seem to break pretty fast. When the games do run, the atmosphere has been great and they've been good games, albeit a little short lived. I'm continuing to run pretty insanely bad in tournament poker, with my last cash being last month's UKIPT and without that, it would have been a good few months since cashing anything. No limit cash has been no less unkind, where I seem to be completely unable to post a winning day, and as I said my only two winning days of the year so far have been from Omaha games. Lowlight of last week was taking a bit of a shot at what looked like a very good 1/2 game, and getting it in for nearly a 1k pot with AK vs Mitch's AQ and failing to hold. With any luck we're reaching the end of this run, since it's been happily settled in for close to four months now. I suppose this is my first taste of a proper downswing, and certainly puts everything in perspective, including a need to manage my finances a little better. If/When I manage to come back from this, I'm confident I'll be a lot better for it.

Unfortunately, this run has brought on a lot of "accumulated tilt" where every beat seems exponentially magnified by the thoughts of those that came before it. I think getting out of this mindset is going to help getting out of the downswing, and my aim for the last few sessions and the next few is to try and get to the end without tilting. I felt like I was making some significant progress on this front a few months ago, and it was fantastic (if a little embarrassing) to hear people comment that my temperament was noticeably improved. This relapse (from the last few pages of the diary) has obviously not gone unnoticed, and I guess I'd just like to ask people to bear with me a little while I get it sorted. The deliberate attempts to provoke it have also not gone unnoticed, but I do respect that this is a product of the problem.

Online Omaha has been great lately. I'm really enjoying getting to grips with learning a new game, and the feeling of actually wanting to log on and play online poker is a new and welcome change. For those that are interested, I'm starting pretty low down at 10PLO, using a 50+10 BRM system (so I will take shots at the next level once I have 50 BI's for my current level PLUS ten for the next, meaning 25PLO will start at a bankroll of 750 for example). I'm playing 6 tables of 6max standard (not zoom) cash, and am winning over admittedly a small sample size. Still obviously making some mistakes as my PHA posts will confirm, but I feel like I notice the bad decisions pretty much as soon as I make them regardless of the outcome. Hopefully I'll be able to sweat a few sickos and pick up some tips that way, along with going through a bunch of books/videos/articles. Either way, its fun Smiley

Everyone else seems to have hit some form recently. Adrian is booking some 4 figure online scores, verndog is cashing all over the place including a 7th place finish in the GPS and Reh booked a very nice score coming second in the GPS side. A bunch of other friends have been winning in various cash games and tournaments, so with any luck the scores will keep on coming. Gl guys!

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »

youve maybe mentioned this previously but are you a "professional" poker player?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: