blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146635 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 21, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »

youve maybe mentioned this previously but are you a "professional" poker player?

It's a little bit blurred tbh. My only source of income over the last two years has been poker, and I have supported myself on that, so I suppose by definition yes I am. I would, ideally, like to continue to support myself on income from the game, as it does currently pay for uni stuff/living stuff/rent. I'm definitely not at a stage where I could drop everything and indefinitely live off the game, though.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

Had a completely break even session playing just Hold 'em yesterday, which is as close to a win as I've been so far this year. Certainly felt like a win. Tournament was a bit of a joke, running 10s into  when we both got over an average stack in pre. I then won a few pots, and ran 88 into 55 and A8 which would have taken me to 1.5x average. This pot was particularly frustrating as it culminated in one of the players having a go at the dealer. Frankly, the guys comments/behaviour were completely disgusting and uncalled for, I can't understand why players feel the need to berate dealers as much as some of them do. It can get pretty close to bullying, and for sure they shouldn't have to put up with it as "part of the job".

Came home and hit the PLO for an hour or so, and had a pretty bad session. I attempted to push the amount of tables I was playing, but I think I did this a little too soon as my understanding of the game is not yet good enough to let me play more than 8 tables and not make many mistakes/time out all over the place. At the moment, I think 6 tables is about right for me. I've also realised that I'm playing AAxx hands particularly badly, and for sure I think these are the most difficult hands to play in PLO. Going through Jeff Hwang's PLO strategy stuff will probably be the best way to pick up some tips and get back on it.

Good luck to everyone playing the TCOOP this time round, I may play one or two events but at the moment this seems unlikely. Must get stuff sorted out for the APAT team championships next week ASAP, and I may also put up a package for the UKPC, the GPS Star City and the 500 d/s pretty soon if I can win a seat or two.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:53 AM »

Well, for just a minute there I thought the downswing might have been coming to a close. Cashed a live comp for the second time in the last few months, and turned up to gala feeling pretty good, only to get it in for 300 each with KK on a Q85 board, which ran out 9 - 7. I announced KK, he told me I won, I flipped me hand over and then he tables the good old Q7.  Pretty sure I'm not going to get out of this with a bankroll, so unless I can find some sort of backing I'll be getting a job pretty soon.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Since everyone seems to be in the habit of posting graphs lately, here are the results of the last 10k hands of PLO that I've played this year. Pretty demoralizing start to the year tbh, I'm officially busto for live games and seem to be in a downswing for pretty much every general aspect of life. I'm surprisingly ok about being busto, I'd accepted it as a possibility some time ago and it looks like the game just decided it was time for me to take a break and rebuild. I won't be in Dusk until the Grand Prix, and from that comp onwards I'll only be in if I can bink a satellite seat for something else. I can't play the UKPC anyway, and the 500 is next week over APAT Stoke which is my last commitment poker wise.

I would be interested to go over some stats and learn a little more about navigating through HEM with someone that understands what they all mean in regards to PLO (In before joke sample size comments).

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:29 AM »

Does anyone here have any thoughts on standard 6max PLO vs 6max PLO zoom? I'm probably going to try zoom for the first time in a minute, but wondered if anyone had any experience and/or preference between the two.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 04, 2014, 04:10:07 AM »

Really can't stand the game right now, almost certainly going to shut this diary down pretty soon, doesn't seem to be getting any interest and I can't post anything but moans because I basically can't win a pot. Running absolutely fucking loads below EV for the last month and a bit, which is obviously a wonderful start for the year. Barely had a winning session since the start of December in anything, and it's starting to damage my uni work as well. Cannot believe how badly I've run over that time, obviously this is my first proper downswing but it would be fucking nice to get above an initial deposit on stars one day. Pretty tilting that everyone around me is winning the absolute lot, finding it hard to keep myself convinced that I actually am a winning player. Finding it pretty frustrating that I can't post anything but this ITT as well, since pretty much nothing is going well enough to be worth writing about.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »

move sites, drop down stakes, grind more or take time off and do some learning  would be my advice.

Post your 10 biggest losing hands in pha and see if there was anything you could have done differently.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 04, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »

Pretty sure microstakes plo is unbeatable because of the rake. I read virtually every diary on here with interest. Keep it up imo, although sometimes having to broadcast your emotions can make things more difficult.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 05, 2014, 03:02:25 AM »

I'm going to do a review of the last few thousands hands in my database pretty soon, may post some up on the PHA, although I have spoken to a few people off blonde about some hands I've played.

I've decided I need to sort out my sleeping patterns. Uni has suffered a little for the last few months, which is a problem, since I would quite like a degree, and the fact that I'm no longer playing live poker every night should give me time to work. My new timetable involves some early starts, and if I'm gonna make these consistently I have to get myself to a point where I can be awake and functional by 8am every day, without having just stayed awake from the previous night. Also, the biggest bowling tournament of the year is coming up in a few weeks, so for sure I need to be able to stay awake throughout the day to be able to compete in that. So, my two week challenge - Be in bed by 2am, be awake by 10am.

Intended to just stay up yesterday to get it reset, ended up going to bed at 3pm and waking up at 2am :p Must get that sorted!

Derbylad

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 09, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »

You didn't tell me you had a new alias...

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »

too stacked to be rexas

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 10, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »

too stacked to be rexas

haha indeed gilly. whose going to be the one who has to explain the joke to rexas?

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 10, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »

Really can't stand the game right now, almost certainly going to shut this diary down pretty soon, doesn't seem to be getting any interest and I can't post anything but moans because I basically can't win a pot. Running absolutely fucking loads below EV for the last month and a bit, which is obviously a wonderful start for the year. Barely had a winning session since the start of December in anything, and it's starting to damage my uni work as well. Cannot believe how badly I've run over that time, obviously this is my first proper downswing but it would be fucking nice to get above an initial deposit on stars one day. Pretty tilting that everyone around me is winning the absolute lot, finding it hard to keep myself convinced that I actually am a winning player. Finding it pretty frustrating that I can't post anything but this ITT as well, since pretty much nothing is going well enough to be worth writing about.

I think I wouldn't look at ev or even winnings if you're playing plo2 or 10 or whatever you're playign right now. The rake is so big and surely you're just playing so that you can learn the game. You're smart enough to just know if you're i proving simply from theoretical understanding. Ev, winnings to shouldn't be significant or matter to,you. Don't let it get you down.

I would disagree with posting 10 hands on the pha, it's too many and people will stop looking at the 6th. Make a video here you speak in love time about your thought processes for every hand no matter how minuscule the reason may be for 15 minutes I'm sure some PLO heroes will watch it and tell you if you're just approaching it in the right way or not. After that I'd move up to plo50 or if you need to (no idea your circumstances etc) get staked. It shouldn't be too hard and 50% of your action in a beatable 50plo game where the pots actually mean something to you and can make you happy when you suck out on the river will be way better than 100% of your action at plo10 with stupid rake and very little in terms of rakeback and at a stake it's almost impossible,to take seriously.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2014, 12:42:47 AM »

Hope you keep at it Matt. I believe you were in seat 1 on the Friday of the APAT cash game in Stoke? You played proper solid, and from our short chat (I was seat 3) you definitely approached it with the right mindset which is all the better given it would've been so easy to splash around in a jovial cash game. Know how you feel, but results will come - best of luck.

Obviously if you weren't this chap, ignore most of the above, but still best of luck and keep up the blog Smiley
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 16, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »

hope everything is well GL in getting back on track. Everyone goes busto most people will do it many times. Many people are still doing it all the time (<<<< ME). Its definiatly never the end of the world!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: