blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 02:33:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272873 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things I wish I knew
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I wish I knew  (Read 113282 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »

When following the live  football scores on the BBC website/teleprinter why are the first results to come in always from Scotland?

Half time is only 10 minutes in Scotland but 15 in England

Since when?

Always been 15 mins for as long as I can remember.

I understood the 10 minute thing to be true.  I haven't googled. 

Just done a bit of googling.  It used to be 10 minutes everywhere.  I think England changed first, then the Scottish Premiership changed before league 1.   Probably just because Camel and I are old farts and remember the difference.  Don't know if some Scottish quasi pub teams in their lower leagues still stick to 10 minutes.

Didn't realise the Scottish Prem had gone to 15.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »

When following the live  football scores on the BBC website/teleprinter why are the first results to come in always from Scotland?

Since when?

Just done a bit of googling.  It used to be 10 minutes everywhere.  I think England changed first, then the Scottish Premiership changed before league 1.   Probably just because Camel and I are old farts and remember the difference.  Don't know if some Scottish quasi pub teams in their lower leagues still stick to 10 minutes.

I am guessing it may still be 10 minutes in the Highland League?  I can't confirm this though.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »

The videprinter scores are provided by the Press Association representative at each game, who sends them in

For English games and SPL games he has to send these to more media outlets, thus these usually come through later than lower league games..especially in Scotland where the number of outlets requiring his information is tiny compared to top flight games

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Why do late trains take longer and often take longer routes when the tracks should be nice and clear to go the fastest way and put their foot down?

Wet, slippery tracks, windy conditions, poor visibility, danger of fallen trees and debris, heavier train with lots of miserable people squeezed onto it...

It's a mystery.

I accept visibility etc but take e.g. the 1am York to Leeds. There's hardly anyone on the train and I don't get why it has to go through the longer Castleford route (it doesn't stop anywhere except Leeds) rather than the direct route.

Blue text
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »

Also, back to sandwiches...

Why when eating lunch do people eat their crisps whilst also eating their sandwich? To me this is very very wrong as crisps are a dessert/afters/treat item to be consumed as a snack or after a meal.

Blue text
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »

Why when eating lunch do people eat their crisps whilst also eating their sandwich? To me this is very very wrong as crisps are a dessert/afters/treat item to be consumed as a snack or after a meal.

at least some of the crisps go IN sandwiches for added texture and flavour

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

at least some of the crisps go IN sandwiches for added texture and flavour

Ham & smoky bacon crisp sandwich = nuts (not literally - it doesn't turn into cashews or anything)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »

I accept visibility etc but take e.g. the 1am York to Leeds. There's hardly anyone on the train and I don't get why it has to go through the longer Castleford route (it doesn't stop anywhere except Leeds) rather than the direct route.

Regular maintenance? Leaving paths clear for slower freight trains?

The fastest train home for me takes 51 minutes. Choose to play a couple of hours at the Vic work late and the last train home takes 99 minutes - beyond tilting.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 13, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

Banana and crisp sandwiches are the best thing ever - combinations of flavour and texture that were made to go together.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

Since when?

I am guessing it may still be 10 minutes in the Highland League?  I can't confirm this though.
i can confirm having been a lot of highland league games in my time that the half time break is crowd dependant as the ref needs to get to front of queue for a pie and bovril before game can restart

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Your ....strange

Almost Everyone eats crisps either with or in sandwiches !

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 13, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »

Your ....strange

salt n vinegar in tuna or crab
yummy

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 13, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »

Your ....strange

salt n vinegar in tuna or crab
yummy

ready salted crisps on a cheddar cheese bap

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
amcgrath1uk

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

Why do late trains take longer and often take longer routes when the tracks should be nice and clear to go the fastest way and put their foot down?

Wet, slippery tracks, windy conditions, poor visibility, danger of fallen trees and debris, heavier train with lots of miserable people squeezed onto it...

It's a mystery.

The majority of the time this is due to agreed noise restriction limits. Bolton to Manc Picc is approx 20 mins, but on the same route overnight takes approx 45 mins

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »

Why people repeatedly and increasingly frustratedly push the button that opens the doors before the train has even stopped. What are they trying to achieve? Some sort of Steven Seagal exit?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: