blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Life's Luck. Random Thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life's Luck. Random Thoughts.  (Read 44518 times)
Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »

Life's luck.

The game of poker is amazing.

The real purpose of this blog is not for me to talk about me and my poker adventures, but really a blog for anyone and everyone to write thoughts to help you really think about you as a person and your game. It may seem like a really long pointless entry that is a bit blurgh to some people and the fact there might be another one of this type, but after writing this I feel really good. If this dies out after a day, it doesn't matter. Me reading this entry a couple of times today really has made me feel more focused on life and will gladly revert back to it in times of reflect. The people who just write on here and make the most of it will feel good. If I say don't troll, you will only troll. I haven't broken it in to sections as I have done this for me to look back on and to read as one big reflect. .

A game where anyone can sit down and play. Where its emotional swings struggles to be compared to anything else in life.

Over the years simply by playing cards, I have met some of the most interesting, intelligent and eccentric people in my life.. We sit down to be given two bits of plastic with symbols and numbers on to try and win a bit of money. But, the fact is it's not all just about money for me and most players. Playing in some club in Nottingham soon becomes more than a venue and poker becomes more than just a game.. it becomes a home with a purpose. People that you meet along the way (even one brief encounter, one 'good game, unlucky dude') become real friends and acquaintances that you have shared a moment with. Enemies at the table probably wouldn't kick your head in outside the car park. No, they just hero call you with King high, or show you a sick bluff. That's how we fight. You simply sigh at the fact his King High is good and let out a faint “Nice Hand” as you ship over £534.50p. But wait “OH.. dealer I get to keep the 50p? Many thanks.” Nice rubs.

I honestly do not know what the majority of people that I speak to that go to Dusk Till Dawn actually do. Do you? This is the beauty of the game and of the people that play it..that fact that it does not matter. You do find out snippets from people like who has a wife, kids and pets. But you never know in detail alot about anyone. People do share the most amazing story's, real personal moments and political views with you, even tho the ante's haven't even fucking kicked in and your only 3 Levels in. Its fun though. You can be yourself at the table.
But why is poker so comforting? Why can we be who we want to be, or really, who we really are? The game of Poker, the community and venues (Dusk till Dawn in particular, as some other places clamp down on eccentric) let you take your mask off and let it out. For example. Colburn Tomblin, Rasta Fish, the most eccentric and energetic character there is at Nottingham. He doesn't put a mask on to be the FISSSSSSSSSSSSH, he takes daily life mask off and lets the real FISSSH swim.
He loves it.

People are awesome.

I've been sat next to a lovely woman in her 50's (really she was in her late 60's, but..you know), whilst playing the Incredible 100 she decides to show me her two Chihuahua sleeping on her kitchen floor. I mentioned moments earlier that I have many animals in my home, so she took 5 minutes to work out how to find pictures on her phone to show me her two lovely dogs.

Sitting to the left of Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliott in the 500 Deepstack and as he rakes in a pot, he casually shows me his phone a picture of his wife doing the splits.

I've sat next to a soon-to-be dad playing cash as he shows me his baby's scan on his phone while he shouting at the big screen. And I quote ' FUCKING GET IN, READING HAVE JUST SCORED AGAIN!'

I've been having a nice conversation with one of the dealers at Dusk Till Dawn about hacking organisations and the Anonymous Group as random cheers of 'KILL DEM, KILL DEM' ring around from the opposite side the club. (It never gets old.)

DTD is a place where it is normal for everyone to laugh and cheer when they hear glasses smashing and tables being knocked over! Someone could be hurt? There could be a massive brawl taking place?  Naaaah. Just like home, if there is a spilled drink or smashed glass in another room, we don't worry about it, we laugh at the persons misfortune. Yes, we go have a look if it goes quiet for a few minutes. Yes, at your home the Mrs obviously has a moan about how clumsy and useless I am.

I honestly believe if I fell over and had a Carlsberg glass hanging out of my skull, people would laugh there face off. The after a pause, people would stop playing to check you are alright and a random person that I have never spoken to before would offer to take me to the hospital. It don't matter that the random guy has had 6 pints and probably not the best person to get me there. People care, it's the thought that counts right? I would be alright though, it wouldn't stop me from playing!
Wether it be broken legs, broken fingers, paper cuts and bruises, we still manage to find away to play the ultimate game of skill. Even if you have the worst migraine imaginable, your defiantly not missing a tournament. We are heroes of the game.

Poker is part of a lot of peoples lives, even if only for a brief spell. Learning how to embrace this wonderful gift will make us all better people with experiances like nothing else. Values you gain from the experience of a single hand in poker cannot be taught at school or by your closest family members.

I will never forget playing some good old 50p/£1 NLH back in the day sitting next to this well dressed elderly gentleman. After a few hours, muiltiple reloads and several gin & tonics. He turns to me and says how much fun he is having. If you know me, I can be loud and annoying in sperts when the table allows me to be. But generally, I am quite quiet. I really respect people and love to listen. When anyone is talking, I am always interested and listen no matter what the story.

Avoiding customs, one night stands, how to cook a decent steak, or under going treatment in hospital, you name it I have more stories and facts to re-tell than the guy in the smoking area that has lost every pot he has played in 20 years. Anyway, back to the nice man. He has done a few buyings, as patient as he was, cards went falling in his favour. But reloaded again, and again nevertheless. At no point did I ask his name. There was no need. He always had a smile on his face and just looked interesting, like he had a story to tell. Seemed like he wanted to confine in someone. We get chatting and after a few hours he described how he only has a few months left to live. Cancer. At the club of majority kids playing cards for money, was a pleasant gentleman spending his last few months in the same room. I like to be pretty agro and focused playing poker, but honestly after about 5 hours talking I can't recall a single hand I was in at the table. I didn't even have a cigarette. We talked about his life, his children and his career in the army. From a young kid delivering milk to a serviceman proud to serve his county. Now living in Norfolk, he was proud to be alive and the fact that he embraced life. It was getting late and as his friend had finished his sweet chilli chicken from the lower tier, he grabbed his coat to leave. He simply said 'Good luck kid and take care of yourself ok'. I haven't seen him in the club since. I find moments like this surreal. A real wakeup call to life and the purpose of it. Having lots of money, flash cars, and a massive house is awesome. But honestly, you learn the most basic rule of life playing cards, that spending time with people of this world is the most fore filling aspect of it. I love my partner more than anything and will make it a rule to spend as much time with her as possible. I have never told my mum and dad that I love them and possible do not show it as much as I can. But they would do anything for me, and in the past I haven't made the most of the fact that I have a awesome family.
So time to change.

A few people I have met perhaps haven't made the most of themselves and their abilities, but embrace what they do have and the fact they are alive. On the other hand, people who have been very successful sat with millions in the bank, still play £25 tournaments for the love of the game! Or to possibly get away from the wife for a few hours and have a cheeky pint? Or Serial gamblers getting their daily fix. Students trying to be the next Mike McDermott from Rounders. Elderly folk limping with Aces UTG and still getting paid.

The poker community has such a balanced approach to age, gender, ethnicity and wealth. Yes, there are obvious stereotypes when playing, but when actually learning about a person, that all goes out the window. You listen and learn about them. I love it. Win or lose, I will befriend anyone that plays poker and has time to tell a story.

Anyone can win this game, we will all eventually get there someday.
Wether in life or at the felt sometimes we just needed 'to run good to bink the big one'

gg Sir.

Never folding... Bros just coming at us. We have a pair, if we're beat, we can always flop a set.
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »

1st!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »

Lovely Post Tommy, nice original angle, too.

I love the variety and psychology of poker and poker people. Best thing about it, really.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

really enjoyed the post, and always enjoy the way you are always positive about poker. Maybe a little tilted at times from sick beats, but always positive, and always the first to analyse your line before analysing theirs. I believe that DTD is one of the nicest places to play poker, not just due to the venue or staff, but the regulars are all incredible, so many heroes under one roof. Bitter tales about people being luckboxes are few and far between compared to other places.

Really look forward to this diary, sure there are plenty of tales to be told. Seen you way too many times with berocca by your side whilst playing poker Cheesy

Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »

Lovely Post Tommy, nice original angle, too.

I love the variety and psychology of poker and poker people. Best thing about it, really.

Thankyou. I know it is a bit deep and will probably sit here, but has helped me think about me and the game simply by rambling on.

Never folding... Bros just coming at us. We have a pair, if we're beat, we can always flop a set.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »

In on page one... Now ill read op.

Fantastic op mate, well written and I know what you mean about having those small poker 'wakeup' moments when you find out something about someone that completely changes your view on them or the situation.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:40:24 PM by jgcblack » Logged

Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »

really enjoyed the post, and always enjoy the way you are always positive about poker. Maybe a little tilted at times from sick beats, but always positive, and always the first to analyse your line before analysing theirs. I believe that DTD is one of the nicest places to play poker, not just due to the venue or staff, but the regulars are all incredible, so many heroes under one roof. Bitter tales about people being luckboxes are few and far between compared to other places.

Really look forward to this diary, sure there are plenty of tales to be told. Seen you way too many times with berocca by your side whilst playing poker Cheesy

Yeah I'm not the healthiest and always pretty ill!
Bad beats are fun to me now Jon. If I get slow rolled I really do not care. People are awesome and as long as people have fun, that is all that matters.
The fun needs to be brought back into poker. Nothing better than laughing with completely random people about some guy that has falling off his chair.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »

I must admit at first I thought "oh great another diary..", then I was like, hang on it's Tommy B, then I actually read it, nice stuff, has made me feel all warm and smiley.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »

Very nice post

tell us about your poker background, what changed when you won the Grand prix etc etc

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

That first post ranks up there with the first post of Vaguness and the Aftermath.

Looking forward to reading more.

I started to read Shut Up and Deal last night and got stuck on the Prologue which I read three times. Not because I didn't understand it, but because I wanted it to really sink in.

I can't cut and paste it from anywhere, but if you haven''t got a copy, do get one and have a read. This comes at the end of that Prologue..

Click to see full-size image.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »

Great stuff, enjoyed reading that. Had a somewhat similar dawn recently when I decided to not wear my headphones for a change and the banter at a lot of tables can be pretty good wherever you play really.
tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »

So in for this!
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »

Subscribed

Favourite Nando's order?

Just incase you ever meet my mate Celtic!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
flushthemout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »

gl Tommy,looking forward to this

Your only on this Planet once.......... so enjoy
Kipper McFish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »

Thank you Tommy for such a fantastic post. Really looking forward to reading more. I know that this game, DTD and and the people we meet every week through it have changed and enriched my life beyond measure.  Smiley

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: