blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:32:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272623 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Progressive Poker From $0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Progressive Poker From $0  (Read 14752 times)
Blue Humour

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but I'm going to start a diary because I think it would be helpful. Hopefully, as I learn, I'll be able to help others too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PS User: Blue Humour

Okay, so now that's out of the way, let's get down to business!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've done so far:

-Most of my poker days have been as a losing player.
-I had poor bankroll management. I was wanting to take something massive down, so I was playing in those huge 'Hot', 'Big', 'Bigger' MTTs with no real bankroll, just deposited when I needed to.
-I was fed up and shocked by how much I was losing, so I decided that had to change.
-I bought all the Harrington Books, I've read them each 3 times. I feel like I'm a much better player because of those books. They've made me think logically and I approach poker hands in a much more balanced way.
-Spent 6 months not playing, just learning, watching (I know the best way to learn is to apply what you have learnt, but that comes later. I didn't HAVE the money to play. I didn't trust myself to play at the time.)

---------------------------------------------

After realizing I had to change, and my break:

-3 months ago.
-Set myself a challenge. See how much I can make from $0 playing about an hour a day.
-Played freerolls with the points I'd accumulated in my losing days.
-Hit $12.
-Play some 2NL Cash (I know, 6BI is not good BRM, but the freerolls were an ABSOLUTE GRIND)
-Built up to $120. Swung down to $60.
-Made a rash decision to play a $3.30 MTT. Finished 4th for $255.00.
-Now on $318.00 after about 12 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------

Where to next:

-I want to earn meaningful money from playing poker.
-I enjoy MTTs the most. I don't really want to play them with my current BR though.
-However, I am tight for time what with work and studies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm currently doing:

-Playing $3.50 9 man SnGs (because I don't know what else to do) and I seem to be okay at them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, MTTs are where my heart lies. I would love to make a seamless transition into playing them. But what with money and time restrictions, I don't know a way of making it happen.

For now, until I have an idea or receive advice, I will continue with my SnG grinding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The format of my updates for each day will be:

Type of game played:
Profit/loss:
Happiness with play /100:
Chosen hands:
Comments:
Something interesting:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if anybody will be reading this, but I'm going to keep updating anyway!

Here goes!

VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »

I'll do the decent thing and let you know that out of 61 readers so far, I'm in for the ride.

I play snall stakes MTTs so you could look back through my diary if you like 'Just a Ride'. Despite the finality of my last post I played a little last night and will possibly find a way back into the games a bit more regularly. Depends on how a few other things pan ouy for me, but I won't talk more about that here.

Diaries tend to do well if you share something of yourself beyond pure poker startegy talk, add some pics or videos or something else of a personal nature. You might struggle to build lots of interaction if you don't know others on here in real life, but do this for your own reasons primarily is my advice.

Hope it all goes to plan.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:40:01 AM »

What the bloke above said, especially as to Diary interaction.

Good luck.

Subbed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »

Don't let the side down!!! Be all like:

Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Will also keep an eye on this thread, GL.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »

Good luck with this, my happiness with play graph would be very amusing, I hope yours will be more consistent!
Blue Humour

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Thanks for the response guys, it's much appreciated!

I take on board what you're saying about the interaction and what to do to have a successful diary.

First of all, I think getting a camera phone would be a good start! You'd think a 20 year old chap like me would have the latest gadgets, or at least a smart phone! Alas, with my phone, I am lucky to have a back light. It has something called Infared. Is this good?...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I think I should start by saying what I have planned for my weekend:

FRIDAY
1. Finish work today (I work in a lab doing research on cleaning ships).
2. Get a train to meet my mate, and drive to DTD. For, tonight, I have got a seat in the £50 Deepstack Mini!
3. Make it through to Day 2.
4. Stay over in Nottingham at my university accom.

SATURDAY
1. Playing cricket.

SUNDAY
1. Depending on whether I make it through to Day 2 of the DSM: Take it down or do some grinding online.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@VBlue - I saw your post about Stand Up comedy. I'm a big fan of this. I have often thought about giving it a go, but I'm scared people will laugh at me. Here's something I watched ages ago which I thought was great. Apologies if you've seen it already - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qovy833HMCI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, thanks for the feedback guys.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:54:46 PM by Blue Humour » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »

Whoa, hold up, hold up.

"I work in a lab doing research on cleaning ships"

We NEED to know more about that.

What sort of ships? Big Ones? GIANT ones? Cleaned by what method? Internally, externally?

A-K in early position, not interested. Cleaning ships, MUCH more interesting.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »

If you're looking for a place to post something that in a Venn Diagram falls in the cross section between 'Not Related to Poker' and 'Things Most People Aren't Bothered About' (concrete and such) then this is your one stop shop:

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=25486.34920

FWIW, I shop here often.  Should tell you everything you need to know!
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »

Will be keeping one eye on this thread, as your line of work and Univ. subject choice is interesting in itself.

However, im not sure grinding 9man SNG's 1 hour per day is gonna get you any where, saying that i can't what else you can play for 1 hour a day, other than NL zoom. Which you have clearly stated you do not want to play Sad

So, with the info you have giving and your plans. GLGLGL
Blue Humour

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »

Haha, I thought I'd never be asked! (great choice of picture, by the way. Very colourful!)

Well, what I'm doing over the summer is to do with CHEMICAL TANKERS.

The inside's of which look something like this:

So these big empty spaces are filled up with various chemicals. Ranging from Methanol, Benzene, Oils, Styrene and thousands more.

However, there is a problem in the industry, and it's to do with contamination...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ships can't afford to specialize in one cargo. In order to make enough money, they have to be flexible.

So, a ship may carry Benzene to Houston and then take Vegetable Oil to Rotterdam

BUT! say the inspectors in Rotterdam find some Benzene IN the Veg. Oil - the receiver is not going to be happy. Bearing in mind these cargoes can be valued at millions and millions of pounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the risk can be reduced by doing certain things:

-Improving the cleaning process.
-Designing cargo tank coatings that do not absorb cargoes as readily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where I come in:

-I'm currently comparing the absorption amounts of specific cargoes into a variety of coatings. The best coatings will absorb the least. The worst coatings will absorb the most. I get sent mild steel panels with different coatings on them, and the paint companies want me to tell them how much they absorb. The ways in which I do this shall remain a mystery!

-I'm also varying cleaning methods on these panels and see what method removes the most absorbed cargo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where's the money?:

-This is all valuable information. Ship owner's are under pressure to exchange high quality cargoes as efficiently as possible. They will pay people to tell them how.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those who have fallen asleep... WAKE UP. It's very interesting stuff, really.

I'll have to take some snaps of me in action (or, perhaps a video Shocked ). Something to put in the diary.

PS I'm just getting used to this diary thing, I don't feel I've found a winning writing style yet. But stick around!

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »

im loving the

---------------------------------

def keep that up

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

Great timing on telling us what you do sir!

Any thoughts on this?

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=25486.msg1822641#msg1822641

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »

Oh my.

Utterly fascinating.

Will comment further about that - possibly at great length - when time permits.

Am very interested in shipping tanker logistics, where time is money, especially turn-round time.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »

My mate works in Qatar and sells commercial paint for those sorts of ships that carry oil, chemicals etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: