blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream  (Read 100081 times)
Ice Shade
The Forming Pride Of Nottingham

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

What I'm going to do as more of a motivation thing is to record milestones and goals on here, see if we can't tick them all off...I'll do a round up either every 2 or 3 months...see where we stand Cheesy

Open Face Chinese: Day 1

Quick easy session, was just to keep myself busy really before seeing the girlfriend for dinner this evening, i'll likely play much bigger sessions as the days go on...players were largely fairly bad, seemed to enjoy not paying attention to their opponents cards...at least three times people went for fantasy-land not realizing what was on view meant they were snap drawing dead...I won't complain, let's hope they are just as bad as we move up stakes Cheesy

Sets Played: 8
Points Won: 162
Profit/Loss: €16.90
Total Points: 162 / 10,000
Total Profit/Loss: €16.90

Winning Isnt Everything...Wanting To Is...
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »

I feel very proud to be saying this, but it also comes with alot of nerves...a new year heralds new beginnings and I have come to the conclusion that I need to have the kind of excitement back that was once with me in the golden days...

I will be playing the GPS next week...and I will not be asking for backers...this is my one chance, I may not get opportunities like this for a long time after this year...I have the confidence and sheer belief that we can make it...I know that for someone like me it is an ungodly amount of money...but the time is right...

Now I fully understand that to the people on this blog £440 is a relative amount of money...some of you may see it as a reasonable investment, some merely as pocket change...but for me this is a very large percentage of my current and future income. Sure i'll be told that this is insane, sure i'll be bashed about with people telling me to satellite in. But it's not guaranteed...I want to be able to anticipate next week knowing that it will happen no matter what, and I don't wanting it costing me more than if a bunch of sattelites missed.

I don't really know what to expect...this kind of cash has been put into an event only once by me before...and that was when I was considerably better off...But now...I don't care, I may not, and probably will not, get this opportunity twice.

I have to make this count...

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2014, 12:38:51 AM »

Personally I'd invest in a number of tournaments over time in your situation, where you put bits up totaling £440.

Think if you don't cash you will be abso crushed, even if you don't think so at the moment.

glglglgl though

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »

Personally I'd invest in a number of tournaments over time in your situation, where you put bits up totaling £440.

Think if you don't cash you will be abso crushed, even if you don't think so at the moment.

glglglgl though

The intention is to play a bunch of events past this, all of the lower buyins...but this is one thats JUST at my kind of price range to go for one big crack at...without actually full blown crippling me

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »

Just hope it doesn't effect you painfully mentally following this event. Saying that, only you know how much it would hurt to bust the comp pre money...

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »

Just hope it doesn't effect you painfully mentally following this event. Saying that, only you know how much it would hurt to bust the comp pre money...

I go into this knowing the task ahead. I go into this knowing the sting of losing this much money and I'm very aware of potential implications surrounding everything else. If this was the UKIPT/UKPC I don't feel I'd be comfortable enough, but this is just close enough...i think £500 was my absolute limit...and after this year I won't have student loans, I'll have a job to work around most likely and a life to pay for...

If there was ever a time...It's now.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »

Pete, I gotta say I agree with gilly on this one. You sell 100% of all the events you play, but if you've now got some money behind you, surely it's more sensible to continue to use your frankly incredible group of backers, but keep more of yourself. This way, instead of taking one big shot, you take a bunch of smaller ones, thereby reducing the bankroll variance and giving yourself more opportunities to make money. I also think it will cripple you if you put so much in to one event, which can be a very tough one, and fall short.

You've spoken before in this blog about how much shot taking has cost you, and how important it is to learn from past mistakes, and this seems like a great time to do that.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »

Pete, I gotta say I agree with gilly on this one. You sell 100% of all the events you play, but if you've now got some money behind you, surely it's more sensible to continue to use your frankly incredible group of backers, but keep more of yourself. This way, instead of taking one big shot, you take a bunch of smaller ones, thereby reducing the bankroll variance and giving yourself more opportunities to make money. I also think it will cripple you if you put so much in to one event, which can be a very tough one, and fall short.

You've spoken before in this blog about how much shot taking has cost you, and how important it is to learn from past mistakes, and this seems like a great time to do that.

I haven't got money behind me per-say...it's more the fact that I won't have any money behind me at all past this...That and the fact the backers are (rightly so) getting tired of the near misses, sure £7k was nice in June...but 2 cashes since then is pure dog.
Problem is for me to spread variance properly would be to enter the bowls...and i've started this year with the intention of NEVER doing that again...fucking hate those comps...pure filthy crap-shoots.

I just don't know...it's beginning to look as if i may be down to my own money anyway. At which point I need to balance pressure and reward...without putting myself through rickjaw-billcock telling me that 85o is the nuts...just...ugh.

I'm gonna sit down and think some more I think...

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »

surely it's more sensible to continue to use your frankly incredible group of backers, but keep more of yourself.

This is key IMO.  If I had been backing you for the smaller comps then I'd at least like the option of taking a piece in this bigger comp.  It's just good business.

Having a core group of people that you can rely on to take action is something very important.
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2014, 12:59:22 AM »

surely it's more sensible to continue to use your frankly incredible group of backers, but keep more of yourself.

This is key IMO.  If I had been backing you for the smaller comps then I'd at least like the option of taking a piece in this bigger comp.  It's just good business.

Having a core group of people that you can rely on to take action is something very important.

That line there hits home quite hard...i play for them and its almost like shutting them out Sad Yeah, point well made guys. I'll just take chunks for myself

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

I know as well as anyone what variance can be like in live tournament poker, I'm not in great shape at the moment as a result of an awful lot of near misses. Putting this sort of emotion into one single tournament will ultimately lead you to not play your best, and live every hand to the extent where you will find it ridiculously hard to get over hands you lose, and hands you win (which is definitely just as dangerous).

Those 25's are definitely beatable too, its just that the variance (again with that word) is very high, and can be very damaging to your confidence when you go on a bad run through them. Rehman (I'm not sure if you know him) has a particularly good record in these, and abso crushed them for a good year a while back. You'll find it very tough to move out of these tournaments into the bigger ones because they are so, completely different. "Spreading the variance" is exactly what bankroll management is about, and this is definitely up there with the most important, and most overlooked, skills in poker.

I'm not trying to shoot you down at all, and if you do decide to go for this shot then good luck to you, for sure. However, I wouldn't want to see you waste this opportunity and not only damage yourself financially, but damage your own love for the game and your own emotional state.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »

i feel i am going to join the list of supporters of Gilly and Rexas, not because they are gorgeous, but because they talk sense.
for a start shrugging of the sats at dtd next week seem ludicrous, as they are giving 20 seats every night, well i guess if you dont, ill be doing my best to be there!
think that if you dont have the money or its such a large percent of current worth, your standard of play might be affected to? scared money maybe?
you think youd be better off putting the £440 into 2 bullets of the side event and the £100 tourny they have? just a thought, the side is a great tourny, adiman67583966 won it at star city last year, and hell vouch for it being a great structure and in no way a crapshoot.
lastly, and matt will back me up here, i went through a couple of month period where i went totally off the 'bowl' comp and crapshoot tournys, and wouldnt play them. soon hit me towards xmas that a) they are great fun, can try out some funky things, plus b) can be a great little bankroll booster, if you can run as good as rexas and win one.
wish you all the best if you play it! am sure i will see you next week, maybe even banging your head on the toilet door next to rexas, youd make a lovely, if not ugly couple Cheesy

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 01:05:11 AM »

I know as well as anyone what variance can be like in live tournament poker, I'm not in great shape at the moment as a result of an awful lot of near misses. Putting this sort of emotion into one single tournament will ultimately lead you to not play your best, and live every hand to the extent where you will find it ridiculously hard to get over hands you lose, and hands you win (which is definitely just as dangerous).

Those 25's are definitely beatable too, its just that the variance (again with that word) is very high, and can be very damaging to your confidence when you go on a bad run through them. Rehman (I'm not sure if you know him) has a particularly good record in these, and abso crushed them for a good year a while back. You'll find it very tough to move out of these tournaments into the bigger ones because they are so, completely different. "Spreading the variance" is exactly what bankroll management is about, and this is definitely up there with the most important, and most overlooked, skills in poker.

I'm not trying to shoot you down at all, and if you do decide to go for this shot then good luck to you, for sure. However, I wouldn't want to see you waste this opportunity and not only damage yourself financially, but damage your own love for the game and your own emotional state.

Nah i know, to be honest (as this blog has shown) im very impulsive and i need to thank you guys for not letting me get ahead of myself...i used to crush the 25's back in 2009/2010, but then i moved to bigger events, my mindset and playstyle changed...and now i struggle to re-adapt...BRM was and is something that "for the most part" im good with...i just went nuts over this one...i'll be there, just maybe not with the full 440 in my own back pocket...

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »

i feel i am going to join the list of supporters of Gilly and Rexas, not because they are gorgeous, but because they talk sense.
for a start shrugging of the sats at dtd next week seem ludicrous, as they are giving 20 seats every night, well i guess if you dont, ill be doing my best to be there!
think that if you dont have the money or its such a large percent of current worth, your standard of play might be affected to? scared money maybe?
you think youd be better off putting the £440 into 2 bullets of the side event and the £100 tourny they have? just a thought, the side is a great tourny, adiman67583966 won it at star city last year, and hell vouch for it being a great structure and in no way a crapshoot.
lastly, and matt will back me up here, i went through a couple of month period where i went totally off the 'bowl' comp and crapshoot tournys, and wouldnt play them. soon hit me towards xmas that a) they are great fun, can try out some funky things, plus b) can be a great little bankroll booster, if you can run as good as rexas and win one.
wish you all the best if you play it! am sure i will see you next week, maybe even banging your head on the toilet door next to rexas, youd make a lovely, if not ugly couple Cheesy

All fair points and im gonna sit down and work this out properly...except for the gorgeous bit...that made me sick Wink

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »

Found 4th in one of these before, it is a lovely lovely tourney, although you may turn your nose up a little bit at it having being spoilt by DTD deepstack events.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: