blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream  (Read 99394 times)
Ice Shade
The Forming Pride Of Nottingham

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »

The Person Behind The Picture

It's took alot to finally decide to write a diary on here, but I've decided that there's nothing better than a place to express thoughts and feelings, and put down details of a life few would realize is as crazy and unpredictable as it actually is. Obviously for my first post it's probably best to give a background into who i am and why (hopefully) you would give a damn to ever read this past it's opening post. I don't plan to mince words on this, nor do i plan to skip details...so be warned that these posts could be long...but hopefully interesting nonetheless.

My name is Peter Thorpe, currently 22 in a small town well known for being a university hub (Beeston, Nottingham), rare be the day that you walk down a street and not see groups of five plus people carrying obscene amounts of alcohol around, normally you'd think it was just a bunch of chavs descending on the local park into the unlucky arms of the old lady that wasn't fast enough to flee the bench she was sitting on. But around here you quickly learn which groups are which, believe me, they make it fairly obvious.

I'm an eccentric, and a pretty big one at that. Always a fan of the big occasion sometimes I would go out of my way to create large spectacles...Never one to turn away from a party and (As the poker world has found out) always one to challenge the wardrobe for common decency. I love to look the part, play the big role and celebrate when things go right unlike anyone else. I might not be able to win tournaments that often but give me 30 people to organize on a night out and I'll show you what partying is meant to be.

I'm Also a massive believer in the power of a positive atmosphere...and I love to be able to build up hype around a situation to push the drive to succeed even higher. Usually the way I do this is through music. It might sound daft but I've gone out of a house happy, listened to some specific tracks on my two mile walk to DTD and by the time of arrival been confident enough to take anyone on...I am one of those strange ones that can use music to work themselves up, probably more than most.

Throughout my life ive been "Blessed" with a family that looks as if it came straight out of a soap opera, the first member of my family to visit a courtroom on the decent side of the law (I was on jury duty in 2011, the only person actually able to perform such an act in the family). Every week presents new opportunities to be amazed how half of these guys aren't locked up or worse...But that said it's a family unit I would never turn my back on...My parents have hearts of gold and it's the ultimate contrast on some days, one moment you'd wish the world for them, the very next you'd wish the world rid of them...And the extended family are prone to even more extremes. I think it's safe to say we don't get along, at all...and it's always a battle of one-upping the others. Fortunately until now I've been on the better end of that exchange. Although not for trying to screw it up.

I feel so happy that I've had the luxury of being relatively intelligent and have, throughout my academic and personal life, excelled at anything I've ever put my mind to. The issue being the latter part of that...I'm very impulsive by nature, and my mind tends to get bored incredibly quickly. Which poses it's own problems every day. If I don't find something mentally stimulating I tend to find and implement any excuse possible to avoid doing it. Which has posed large problems throughout my life as, you'd expect, I find exams and the whole concept of studying rather lackluster. As such school and college were rather subject to "Scraping the barrel" and getting exactly what i needed and not one point more. Until I failed college and thought the world was falling apart. A year at Derby University, purely because of clearing, to try and get things back together...I can't thank my two universities enough, for they have helped me find who I am.

Through my two universities, three degrees and four years of study I've had the chance to develop the kind of independent thinking, critical analysis and perception on the world that I'd searched for all of my life. Being an only child was a major issue to the effect of being wrapped up in cotton wool...I'm a fiercely independent individual and always wanted to do things my way. Sure i'd fall down along the way, but it's those kind of life lessons that define who you are. It has molded me into the person I am to, for better or worse. So obviously when i was largely choked down by rules and lists of stuff i could not do i naturally lashed out, it's been a rough ride but I wouldn't change it for the world. Why would you? It forms the person you are.

Where I go from here is a mystery, after these few years I don't feel the traditional job is right for me, never in life have I been content with being an also-ran, never content with merely being a place filler in society. It might seem crazy, but if my kids ever asked what I did and I couldn't tell them stories from my life besides the 9-5 office job, I'd consider it a failure. Which brings me neatly onto my hobbies, interests and the reason you find me here.

The Gamer, The Dreamer, The Believer

I'm competitive. More-so than anyone can actually realize. Losing is a nightmare I'd prefer never to have to suffer, success is a tool to move forward with aspirations. That's the way I've basically lived my entire life. I've been a gamer since the days I first learnt to walk and talk. Wherever something existed where i could face-off against people my equal or better i threw myself headfirst at the challenge. Through my lifetime I've had the chance to go down many routes both related to gaming and not related. I was one of the highest ranked under 16's for chess in the country, undefeated in all forms of go-karting and quadbike racing for the under 16's (16-0 record, for those wondering), Gold I ranked starcraft player, 3rd in the UK for digital racing games (Gran Turismo 4 was when i reached my peak). Games have formed the backbone of my life and defeating them was always of the highest priority. When i was given console games as a child I would start one and be relentless in completing it...8-10 hour days were common and while alot of people disagree with the idea of a 12/13/14 year old doing nothing but computer games it provided me with something which, at the time, life could not. An ability to challenge my intellect against others. I prided myself on being taught games in the morning, and a nuisance at them come the evening. Something I still pride myself on to this day.

My current gaming obsession is League Of Legends (LoL), to put it simply it's a team based strategy game designed to test quick reaction times, complex strategies and multiple areas of mental prowess. You start off on a map with five distinct positions in three lanes of battle, the opposing team has these same characteristics and at the beginning it is simply your skill against one other person. But being a team game if your opponent is better than you it puts you at a distinct disadvantage, as he can buy better equipment, gain levels faster and generally harass you. Lose early and you suffer for the rest of the game. But that's not all, for being a team game you can help out other lanes, the strategy is endless but so are the risks, if you came out of the "lane phase" worse than your opponent, when the big end game fights start to happen over key objectives, he likely has more to fight with than you do. So a small mistake early could easily snowball and cost not only you the game, but your four teammates as well. It's a hyper competitive environment and i love every second of it. The main reason i adore the game is not because i have yet to defeat it. But that you realistically can't. It's not like chess where there are a finite amount of moves, this isn't solvable. Sure you can have optimal lines of play but if your opponent throws you a curve ball and you can't adapt then they will pull an advantage and it's up to you to react to that and pull it back...

...sound familiar?

The Poker Dream, A Lifelong Ambition

I started playing poker when i was five years old in a pub in my hometown, the parents wanted a peaceful drink, i wanted to go out and do something...naturally I needed a tactical distraction so they threw me into the hands of a family friend who taught me "this interesting game" as he put it. It was no limit five card draw. And i'll always remember the first hand i ever played, as it taught me everything there was to know. We both bet 40p (My pocket money was on this), he drew two and i drew three keeping a pair of 8's, my draw improved me to trips and i jumped up and down cheering and shoved 80p in his face. He just folded.

WHAT?! BUT I'M AHEAD! YOU HAVE TO PAY ME!...And that was when he explained the little nuances of the game, the art of concealment, and naturally i was hooked. He wasn't getting away with that, I wanted my damn money!...From there, it's developed, much like LoL has in recent years. A test of skill, deception and bravery. And i haven't stopped playing since. Every chance i could at school (Which was alot, considering i lost most of my break-times to bad behaviour) me and a few kids would sit down with our pocket money and play out a game, and naturally I'd crush...I was reading poker books at 8 years old, they'd learnt the game that week. Was hardly a fair fight.

As we grew older the game changed to hold'em around 11/12 years old (2002/2003), I was playing this game before moneymaker had even shown the dream was a reality. And so did the stakes. 5p/10p was what we played at school and the kids would sit down with a decent chunk of change (I was at a private school for my secondary years, so everyone had alot of money to spend.....or donate to me as the case was)...the teachers turned a blind eye on alot of occasions and every so often they'd join us in free fun games, was always a blast and was exciting to play those older than me. I never won against them in the early years, by year 11 on a skiing trip I was smashing the teachers for their money as well as the kids!

I started playing online at the age of 14, when FTP was stupid enough to have merely a tick-box asking if I was over 18 I was always going to abuse it. Over the years I ran up and lost around 15 freeroll bankrolls, Coming out of it annoyed but with new lessons. Then when I hit 18 everything changed.

Dusk Till Dawn had opened a few years prior and even as a acne ridden 16 year old I was glued to this very site watching the updates of how much they struggled to turn an old arcade room (Which i used to frequent, go figure) into the ultimate destination in Europe for poker. Naturally two days after my 18th, off the back of the Norwegian open, I sat down to my first ever game...and I've never looked back since. It's been a fun journey, and one I hope never ends.

On my 18th birthday i sat down and wrote out my goals, aspirations and dreams for this wonderful game. They serve as the reason i spend every waking moment dreaming of what might be. They are my lifegoals in this game and while i may have added some since then. The principle has always remained the same. I keep them as a closely guarded secret but once i tick the last one off, like all my ventures in the past, I will retire from this game with my head held high, knowing i had achieved everything I set out to all those years ago. Dusk is my home, many great people have walked out of those doors to become something truly amazing. I hope to be a part of that. No matter what it takes...I've got a wide selection of friends and backers alike who have aided me so far. And i play with my heart on the line as much for them as i do myself. When all is said and done i hope to sit down with them and go "yes, this was a good thing we did"

Where From Here?

My apologies if this has gone off on about fifteen tangents, apologies if it has left some parts hanging, hopefully it shows my past, present and future desires both in poker and out of it. I'll try to update this as much as i can as a personal diary, I've ran a blog for a few years and that was fun. Hopefully this can be just as exciting. And i hope you enjoy reading it as much as i do writing it. Writing is a passion of mine as it gives you an avenue to express yourself in ways words could not. Let's see how it goes :-) It might not be brilliant at first but i promise you i'll take things on board to make it better as we go :-)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:41:29 PM by Ice Shade » Logged

Winning Isnt Everything...Wanting To Is...
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

Subscribed.. Looking forward to the updates...

Like the shirt and tie combos btw..

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »

Subscribed.. Looking forward to the updates...

Like the shirt and tie combos btw..

As you'd expect, I create my own wardrobe ;-)

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »

Cough http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=58441.0 cough

Tal standard diary questions:

1. You have three musicians/artists/groups/DJs to headline your own concert. Who are they?

2. Street Fighter character of choice (am thinking SF2 Turbo - the nut game - but will accept any character)

3. Mario Kart driver of choice if you were a gamer but somehow not a beat-em-up player (weirdo)

4. Baked beans with or without the little sausages?

And a serious one:

You talk about having lots of goals and being very driven. How do you measure success?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

Cough http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=58441.0 cough

Tal standard diary questions:

1. You have three musicians/artists/groups/DJs to headline your own concert. Who are they?

2. Street Fighter character of choice (am thinking SF2 Turbo - the nut game - but will accept any character)

3. Mario Kart driver of choice if you were a gamer but somehow not a beat-em-up player (weirdo)

4. Baked beans with or without the little sausages?

And a serious one:

You talk about having lots of goals and being very driven. How do you measure success?

1. Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren and Chicane...basically three of the best 's of all time, it'd be a trance festival ibiza would be proud of!

2. Retsu from the original, purely because his exit from the temple is something i'd end up doing!

3. Wario, purely because ive been compared to him SO OFTEN

4. With them, those little tins you got as a kid were the highlight of my childhood eating!

-----

Usually i set out on tasks or challenges with a set goal in mind, if it's something that can reach a conclusion then i target that, if it's something rather open like LoL or poker then i set life goals...my measurement of success is two fold, one being the realization of those goals and aspirations, and the second is personal fulfillment. If i find something mentally challenging and i succeed in it, then usually that alone is enough for me to carry it on without the need for material gain or anything to that description. With poker as an example i could go on to give away all of my winnings to backers but if i achieve my life goals and find it mentally fulfilling, then i'd be happy regardless...for me the monetary side acts as a score card rather than anything else

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 02:00:19 AM »

Nice to see I made the cut for your prof pic.

Glgl with the diary, poker, and life in general. Not sure what else to say as I've said it all in pm's!

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

Nice start!

Why not post the goals and aspirations so we can all sweat with you on here?

Have you stopped wearing the suits and ties for tournies now?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »

Nice to see I made the cut for your prof pic.

Glgl with the diary, poker, and life in general. Not sure what else to say as I've said it all in pm's!

Gonna say, everything's been covered pretty much ahaha

Nice start!

Why not post the goals and aspirations so we can all sweat with you on here?

Have you stopped wearing the suits and ties for tournies now?

I might follow this post up with a screenshot of it, all of the goals are quite extensive and I'm very aware of how ludicrous some of them might be, that said if i didnt aim for the skies what would be the point?

With regards to the suits/ties the answer is no. I know it was a source of quite a bit of joking and criticism and while at first i reacted quite negatively, I've come to realize that while some people may think it's over the top and a tad obnoxious, personally i feel like when i make the final stages of a tournament it's a big occasion for me, and it's personal preference that matters the most. Sure to alot of people on here they come up 12 to the dozen but i've only made four day two's in my life (Despite nearly $20k in winnings) so when i make them i want to look proud that i have. Plus with regards to the suits themselves i am a massive advocate for looking smart at the tables, never have i subscribed to the hoodies/headphones idea and while ive tried it in the past it felt completely wrong, it's all about comfort in those stages and wearing something that makes me look like im straight out of a court-case that Gok Wan designed is actually rather comforting...sure, i don't wear them at every given opportunity. But whenever i make a final day i will be in a suit. And that goes for any tournament i play.

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »

Right, i had kept this rather hidden from the world but i suppose a sweat is always fun...Now bear in mind some of these might make you laugh (and they do me) but this was pretty much completely designed when i was 18, an idiot, and thought that some things were a big deal...now i know different, but i wont take them off, all i plan to do is add to this list (The main one to be added to is the location one, im pretty sure the rest is covered)

Click to see full-size image.

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »

A few personal questions to ask if u don't mine . U don't have to answer if it's to sensitive .
Are u gay/homo/swing/give/take or none of the above . Do u work/play poker for living/still studying / or work on the street? Do u think u play poker pro or just for fun ? Thanks :-)
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »

A few personal questions to ask if u don't mine . U don't have to answer if it's to sensitive .
Are u gay/homo/swing/give/take or none of the above . Do u work/play poker for living/still studying / or work on the street? Do u think u play poker pro or just for fun ? Thanks :-)

Nothing is too sensitive, Always answer everything i can unless specifically told otherwise.

1. Completely straight, none of the swinging stuff or anything like that. Had a girlfriend for the best part of 14 months now (Still don't know how, she must be mad!).

2. Still studying until July 2014, my income stream is student loans and poker only.

3. I'd say personally i play semi professionally borderline actual professional. Not because of my skill level but because of commitment and volume. It's most certianly gone past fun for me now in regards that i play only for a laugh. I find fun from success and i try to work tirelessly towards that. I can't say i'm professional YET but that said if i ever came into a sponsorship/backing or a large enough sum of money to give me financial stability id drop the degree in a heartbeat. This game means the world to me and while some may see that as a "dark road to go down" if any forum can understand my passion. It's this one :-)

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »

looooool no holding back Frankie!

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »

looooool no holding back Frankie!

Ive heard worse, trust me

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »

I but i've only made four day two's in my life (Despite nearly $20k in winnings) so when i make them i want to look proud that i have.

[/quote]

#thinbrags

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

(Despite nearly $20k in winnings)

#thinbrags

Ultra thin, but i make do ;-)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: