blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272538 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lucky_scrote's (b)log/diary
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lucky_scrote's (b)log/diary  (Read 64098 times)
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

Day 37+38

After the 3rd in the $8r 2x turbo I managed 2 losing days (Thursday and Friday) before taking the weekend off to keep the balance in my life. Something I rarely do tbh!

Coming 9th in the hot 33 was a right kick in the teeth as I was 1/11 and a tasty $8k up top.

Profit/loss:

Day 38: -$559
Day 39: -$594

Hours played:

Day 38: 6.5
Day 39: 9.5

Day 40+41

Weekend off!

Seems 95% that I'm going for a last minute decision to come to england to play the sky event. I don't normally look at certain poker events and think "That's unmissable" but I think this is one of the rare times that this applies. All the people that represent UK poker well are going to be there and I think this is going to be a prestigious event. I do however which I'd decided upon this earlier as flights and what not have become expensive.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:36:16 PM by lucky_scrote » Logged

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:07 AM »

A lot of blogs can go like this when you aren't winning so I've summoned the motivation/courage to make a new entry.

I worked very hard in January and was pretty disappointed with making just a few k. I'd grinded about 180 hours and had a lot of swingy days. Coming into February I managed a few deep runs in some big turbos on Stars only to be shown the door in 9th and 8th. Apart from the money aspect, I'd most certainly rather come last. I took a week off and flew home to England to take part in the festival at Nottingham run by Sky poker. Although a little late, I have to say it's one of the best if not THE best poker festival I've taken part of in the UK and that is saying something with the big dog Pokerstars spreading their tours and reputation around the block. I had a good week and finalled the £500 turbo as a last chance saloon. Since I had won a seat on the Wednesday in a live satellite and had a decent chunk of my mate (willrobrobu) who finalled the 6max it turned out to be a profitable week for me. I managed to get a catch up with friends and family whilst home before setting back off to the Netherlands.

The online scene didn't change too much closing out February and I managed a losing month (excluding live and % swaps) which after a weak January has knocked the morale level down another few notches. It seems that when this trend starts to happen it only ever gets more difficult. The only positive I can pull from the month was how I managed to discuss a bit of poker with Mat Frankland whilst in Nottingham as I roomed with him for a night. I feel like I've now managed to take away some of what I've learned and applied it to my game now. Unfortunately there are peaks and troughs when studying and applying new stuff and I managed to hit some decent troughs. This combined with a lack of confidence has managed to really bring frustration levels to an all time high.

Enough of what is going through my head with poker in the past and I'm going to focus on the future. I've decided to set myself a little challenge for the next few and grind small stakes really hard. The good thing about playing lower stakes is that I can play a lot more tables and if I put my mind to it, make a really good return on investment. Often when I include things like the big 5 or a $10 turbo I am happy taking a very low edge risk because I feel that the money doesn't matter, lowering my edge somewhat. For Thursday-Saturday I'm going to try and put 30 hours in and 12-16 table the whole time. I'll be playing all mtt's from $2-$33 buy-in. Confidence is massive in this game and that's what I need. The micromillions starts tomorrow too, they are always fun to include.

February round up (online only):

Hours played: 101
Profit: $362 (I thought I'd lost in February, result!)
Hourly: McDonalds

Min-motivator challenge:

Play 150 or more mtt's in 3 days
Buy-ins: $33 and less
Average ROI target: 50% (I know this is beyond my control, but it's a bit of fun).

Dan

<3 ENSUING
rbc_mike

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »

Bump.

I miss this diary, always been an interesting read.

Dying's for fools.
willrobrobu

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »

ditto Smiley
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »

Thanks mike and Rob.

I just came to the conclusion that when I'm not winning I find it hard to update, therefore I feel silly to "Sing when I'm winning".

<3 ENSUING
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »

Thanks mike and Rob.

I just came to the conclusion that when I'm not winning I find it hard to update, therefore I feel silly to "Sing when I'm winning".

I think we all do. But the "Winning" Posts lose credibility if not balanced by reports on the losing days/months.

Personally, I quite enjoy reading, "losing" reports. Here we see our character & mettle in adversity.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Horus
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »

that was interesting
thanks for sharing your stats!

thumbs up
DaMatrix

Dodging Bullets

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

Any chance of an update m8? I see you've been grinding very hard this month! gl! Smiley

lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Whoops!

A lot has happened in my poker career since my last post. I was still backed by James Atkin until January where I was lucky enough to have a $42k score in TCOOP. It's pretty comical looking back the fact I was in debt due to a failed business and it took me so long to get back into the game, yet a bink in a $200 turbo just flushes all the debt away. I had been working hard at my game and always improving, and I was earning ok money at poker at the same time.

The improvements in my game actually began in August 2014 where I was diagnosed with depression. I won't go into it here, you can find the articles about it on pokernews as I am happy being open about it. For a while that was holding me back, but I've been crushing since.

October 1st - January 31st. The end of the backed by Atkin era.
 Click to see full-size image.

I then learned something once I left Atkin, but it wasn't until afterwards. Don't try to run before you can walk. I got ahead of myself and tried playing poker off a very low bankroll. I also learned that playing lots of tables is really bad for your game. I had the argument that every tourney I booted up I would be making $x amount, so just boot up as many as possible to improve my hourly. I couldn't have been more wrong.

February 1st- April 30th. End of the small stakes mass tabling.

I decided to get backed again. I wanted something a bit different, I wanted to play higher stakes and for what I wanted, Atkin didn't want to give it to me since he had himself to look after. He's really looked after me in the past and I am massively grateful, however, this time I went with Mat Frankland and John Eames. They have experience at beating high stakes mtt's and I wanted a little guidance. I ran insanely hot and won the big109 as well as some other turbo for $6k.

May 1st- June 10th. End of the Eames and Frankland era.

It was June 10th where I made the biggest jump of my career. I had already a good year of poker, the best for many years, but I decided to take a leap of faith and join Plenos stable. I used to always wonder how some of the online mtt players could do it. Playing day in day out and constantly crushing. I used to always find that I would regularly unregister from a schedule in frustration, or play badly too often. I do have to give some credit to myself of course, I have worked my nuts off and strived to be the best, but I have learned a colossal amount working with pads and the other coaches in the stable. I have never enjoyed poker like I do now. I would say playing higher stakes and less tables has definitely given me that spark. It's so much more interesting using your brain!

The BitB era. June 10th- Current day

I just came back from Amsterdam playing the master classics of poker festival. I skipped the main but decided to play the side events. Mr James Atkin himself joined me and later on in the week one of my horses who is also a good friend came by for the weekend. I was really loving the game and I was so fortunate to win an event- the €700 8max. During the first hand of the 2nd level I managed to lose 80% of my chips!

Finally, I have also been given the exciting opportunity to manage my own "small stakes stable" with Robbie Bull (AKA Adreny) as part of the BitB stable. They are going to be recruiting 10-12 for me and Robbie. As well as a private 1-to-1 coaching session a month you get group coaching with us as well as being able to join the group coaching sessions with the sickos that run the main stable (Pads, Crownupguy, European, omyg0t and Elmerexx). If anyone reading this blog is beating small/mid stakes online and wants the chance to become a sicko, move up the stakes and make a load of money, then apply. The stable will be going live in the next 2 days. I couldn't recommend jumping on board enough.

Hope this hasn't been too dreary and I hope to not be so lazy in regards to updating my blog (and perhaps discuss how the new stable is going!)

Dan "lucky_scrote" Carter

<3 ENSUING
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

Great News and well done

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2015, 02:01:54 AM »

Well done on the results, looks like quite a year!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2015, 02:46:19 AM »

Glad to hear you're doing so well, good stuff.

Congrats!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »

That's a cracking read, & I'm delighted for you Dan. Think I used to refer to you as a David Gower lookalike back in the day. Not so much now.

Amsterdam MC  apart, do you play much Live poker these days?

You mention how much you enjoy poker these days, which is quite something after so many years, but I absolutely get that, & I am the same, poker has never been more fun. Course, my stakes are about a zillionth of yours, but it's all relative.

Once we get our head in the right place, (in some cases, simply removing it from our arse) poker is so much fun.

Post more often, that was good stuff.

The very best of luck going forward.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »

I enjoyed the ups and downs of the staking thread here. Always thought your work ethic was excellent given it seemed such a grind. Good to see things taking off for you

sola virtus nobilitat
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »

Great read Dan, inspiring. well done

Amatay

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: