blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  HUNL Veteran getting back on track in 2014!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HUNL Veteran getting back on track in 2014!  (Read 49529 times)
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »

I'm coming up to 5 years as an online HUNL poker pro, but after a miserable year last year (in terms of $) I'm starting this thread as motivation!

I've played from 2/4 - 50/100 pretty regularly online and have a win rate of almost 10bb/100 over nearly 1.5million hands. Most of my volume has been at 5/10 and 10/20$ although I'm considering dropping down slightly to reduce swings/variance.

Lifetime giraffe! Not gonna bother with $ graph for the time being but I've been pretty successful. Yes my red line is a substantial loser and people think that means i'm probably a passive bumhunter but w/e - they're wrong!

I'd rather stay anonymous for the time being but it'd be great to contribute towards the UK poker community as I feel we're slipping behind some of the other European countries in terms on online cash games. I'll be posting the odd hand history of my own (although I'm trying not to give too much away) but am happy to comment on any hands that people post ITT!

2014 goals

150k hands of online HU - this probably doesn't sound like a lot to some grinders but my focus is quality >>> quantity. After doing it so long, it's very easy to get burnt out and grind mass volume while autopiloting. I don't bother with monetary goals but obv I have a figure in the back of my mind I'd like to achieve.

15 live MTTs from 5 different trips - I am by no means a tournament pro, but I absolutely love live tournaments. They are very fun and running deep is one of the best feelings in the world. I'd quite happily not play online tournaments in 2014 as I find them very shallow and just generally depressing.

Gym 100+ times - had the same goal in 2013 and achieved it but hoping to get in really good shape this year.

Read 5+ books - this sounds pretty pathetic but I really struggle with reading and I'd like to improve.

Be more productive with time - less wasting time on the internet, no sleeping 10+ hours each night etc. When I am not playing poker be more sociable, catch up with friends and just generally enjoy life more!

GLGL in 2014!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:04:34 AM by RogerHairabedian » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »

Be more productive with time - less wasting time on the internet

Welcome to Blonde.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Afternoon "Roger".

That's a cracking post, & beautifully presented, welcome aboard.

I would assume you know it will be "guess who he is" open season, but I have no interest in that.

I think these motivation threads really work. Our very own Plinop does one, he wins "multiple commas" some days, so he's big time, but he has one here......

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=49575.4155

He does not tell us how much he wins - a big mound, apparently - but he keeps track of his VIP things.

At the other end of the scale, in tiddlearse territory, I've been doing the same thing, elsewhere, just reporting honestly, every single day, & it has helped me enormously, I've almost won a whole comma, in under 3 months, too. I'm incred.  

Must say, I agreed with this.....

but I absolutely love live tournaments. They are very fun and running deep is one of the best feelings in the world

Not wrong, & the buzz, especially, of bagging up, & a Day Two, is the greatest fun ever. Live Poker has a bad name, but if we slow down a bit, & adjust to the pace, it can be tremendous fun.

5 books? What sort of books? Non-fiction, I hope? I'd be interested to hear your book choices. An hour with a book at the end of each day is such a pleasure.

Good luck with the next year. Some graph that, though I don't pretend for one moment  to understand those different coloured lines.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:51:13 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kano

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »

i'm probably a passive bumhunter

Sorry, too easy Grin

Talk us through a normal day's schedule

How old are you?

What are your plans for the future?
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »

Hey welcome

So why do you think we're falling behind other European countries?

Why the username?

I'm not sure on why tbh. But if you look in the lobby on say stars, there are not too many Brits battling the big cash games. I know as far as tournaments are concerned we have some of the best. I think when in the UK when someone talks poker they immediately assume it's a tournament and not a cash game - maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a huge poker fan and I'm always keeping up to date with who's doing well on the live scene (despite being an online player). Roger Hairabedian is an absolute beast to me and also quite a character. If you check his hendon mob, it's pretty ridix! Anyone making assumptions of how someone is going to play by how they look is going to be totally thrown by someone like big Rog!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »

I'd like to make it absolutely clear that the OP is NOT me.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »

Be more productive with time - less wasting time on the internet

Welcome to Blonde.

Thanks! I don't plan on spending TOO much time on here, but we'll see. Hopefully it's going to be productive and motivational!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »

Hey welcome

So why do you think we're falling behind other European countries?

Why the username?

I'm not sure on why tbh. But if you look in the lobby on say stars, there are not too many Brits battling the big cash games. I know as far as tournaments are concerned we have some of the best. I think when in the UK when someone talks poker they immediately assume it's a tournament and not a cash game - maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a huge poker fan and I'm always keeping up to date with who's doing well on the live scene (despite being an online player). Roger Hairabedian is an absolute beast to me and also quite a character. If you check his hendon mob, it's pretty ridix! Anyone making assumptions of how someone is going to play by how they look is going to be totally thrown by someone like big Rog!

Sorry, way too old & portly to be any good.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

Do you actively post on other forums? Lurk 2+2 at all? How old are you? We need to become the Germans. They are crushing atm.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

Hey, welcome to Blonde and good luck!

I've been playing a lot of HU recently, sit and go turbos, and also some HU cash.

Definatly my favourite part of the game, it's such a great dynamic.

Good luck in 2014, and will follow with interest.
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »

Afternoon "Roger".

That's a cracking post, & beautifully presented, welcome aboard.

I would assume you know it will be "guess who he is" open season, but I have no interest in that.

I think these motivation threads really work. Our very own Plinop does one, he wins "multiple commas" some days, so he's big time, but he has one here......

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=49575.4155

He does not tell us how much he wins - a big mound, apparently - but he keeps track of his VIP things.

At the other end of the scale, in tiddlearse territory, I've been doing the same thing, elsewhere, just reporting honestly, every single day, & it has helped me enormously, I've almost won a whole comma, in under 3 months, too. I'm incred.  

Must say, I agreed with this.....

but I absolutely love live tournaments. They are very fun and running deep is one of the best feelings in the world

Not wrong, & the buzz, especially, of bagging up, & a Day Two, is the greatest fun ever. Live Poker has a bad name, but if we slow down a bit, & adjust to the pace, it can be tremendous fun.

5 books? What sort of books? Non-fiction, I hope? I'd be interested to hear your book choices. An hour with a book at the end of each day is such a pleasure.

Good luck with the next year. Some graph that, though I don't pretend for one moment  to understand those different coloured lines.

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm sorry I won't be posting $ graphs or daily swings simply because I feel it means I have some connection to the money, when actually account balances should just be a tool to play the games I want to. In terms of VPPs or VIP things I simply don't bother. Gaining recognition or some bonus for playing X amount on a site doesn't interest me. Focusing on good decisions and mindset is much more important. If you look at the very top winners on any site, I'd guess close to 100% of them are not interested in VPPs or w/e.

Yeah agreed re live tournaments. I'm actually a very shy person IRL (online poker pro doesn't help this), so I get quite a rush from playing live tournaments. Also feel like there is still incred value for most tournaments up to around the $10k level so I'll continue to play them when I can.

Books wise... I'm such a fish. I'm very interested in property development, so if anyone has any good recommendations there it'd be appreciated! Anything from sports autobiography's to fantasy fiction stuff. My daily 'bible' is The Mental Game of Poker 1/2 by Jared Tendler. If any poker player on this forum doesn't own this book, he/she is simply missing out.
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »

i'm probably a passive bumhunter

Sorry, too easy Grin

Talk us through a normal day's schedule

How old are you?

What are your plans for the future?

I normally wake up 10am, shower and get breakfast then hit the tables around 11. Play until around 6pm, then have the evening to get dinner/go to the gym etc. I'm actually thinking of tweaking this and hitting the gym in the morning after gym rush hour but twt. I probably play 6 days a week on average.

I'm 25. So ageing quickly in terms of the online world Sad

I'd like to focus on poker for the foreseeable future, just because I think there's still money to be made and I enjoy playing so much. But I'd love to get into property investment/development at some point.
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

Do you actively post on other forums? Lurk 2+2 at all? How old are you? We need to become the Germans. They are crushing atm.

Indeed the Germans are crushing. I actually don't think they are as good as people think but obv extremely solid and tough. They are a tight band group of players who can openly discuss strat, reads on other players etc which helps a lot. If you follow the HU lobbies online, it's very rare you'll see 2 Germans battling eachother.

I do post on 2+2 a little, but not too much strategy. No other forums.

I'm 25.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

My daily 'bible' is The Mental Game of Poker 1/2 by Jared Tendler. If any poker player on this forum doesn't own this book, he/she is simply missing out.

Agree - Jared Tendler is a really good author. What's especially good is the way he writes his books all by himself, without needing any help from anyone else.
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Hey, welcome to Blonde and good luck!

I've been playing a lot of HU recently, sit and go turbos, and also some HU cash.

Definatly my favourite part of the game, it's such a great dynamic.

Good luck in 2014, and will follow with interest.

Thanks and good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: