blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Tea Time Tales: A Fish and his chips
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tea Time Tales: A Fish and his chips  (Read 81274 times)
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog on here for a while, and it seems that now is the best time to get it up and running!

Life

The names Chris Vernon, im 21 and currently studying Geography (cue the colouring gags)  at Loughborough University. Home for me is the south east, a small village near Ashford in Kent.
Most of my life to date has been heavily based around sport, most of all cricket. Represented Kent at all age groups, including playing around 15 2nd Eleven games (check out the cricinfo page #thinbrags Cheesy). My 2 gap years after school saw me jet of to Perth, WA as 'an overseas' for a club over there. Best 2 winters of my life, stayed in Cottesloe, which if any you have been, will know its incredible. Met some incredible people over there, and will definitely be going back, sooner rather than later i hope! Oh and im a hugeeee Liverpool fan, and wont have anything bad said about them on here!! haha

Poker

Fairly new to it all really. Got into it watching the WPT with the old man when Shana Hiatt was presenting, what a babe! Since then, only really got properly into it during my first year at uni, so Sept 2012 onwards. Before then, twice a week we would head out to a couple of local pub leagues, do reasonably well, and always spend the car trips home moaning about how bad everyone else played!
Discovering LUPS- Loughborough Uni. Poker Society was the kickstart to taking things a little more serious. I doubt there is a better uni home game in the country, all of us having had good scores live or online. Also, probably the most degen too, many times pulling a 12hr session, often heading straight to the 9am lectures, after a 7pm start the night before. Scary too, regularly there would close to 1k on the table, at 10/25p. Would make once of twice a week trips over to DTD,where the XXL provided a good comp, in possibly the best place in the UK to play. Railing Rexas and Adiman into £30k cashes within a week of each other was awesome, (and one of the claims to run bad). A little bit of jealousy in a good way too, wanted the next one to be me! Idiocy too, turned down a 10% offer from both of them, what a cock i am!
2013 has been the real change for me on the poker front. Slightly more bankroll, and a uni grant (sigh, sorry mum) meant at the start of the year i was able to sit more comfortably in the cash games at DTD and more regularly Gala/ Grosvenor without feeling like i have 95% of my life in chips in front of me. A few good weeks enabled me to play a couple of the bigger comps, including the SPT Grand final, where we luckboxed our way to 18th, with Rehman getting 11th.
Overall, my board at uni suggests a decent win overall for 2013 so pretty chuffed, first time cashing out a bag was a memorable moment, especially as it was on a tough line up.
GPS Notts- What can i say? What a weekend. Qualified twice for a total of £90 and made my first major FT. DTD kindly letting me use the other £440 token for the 500 DS too, so pretty much freerolling that event. Felt surreal seated at the FT with guys such as Deadman and JP Kelly, both i might add are great guys, chatty and have great table presence, as well as being sickos. Clear to see why they come with such glowing reports from the circuit.

Whats next?

In terms of aims, im not going to sit here and say I want to win a bracelet or the triple crown, or even be a full time pro. The last one would clearly be amazing and ultimately that is something id love to do. However at the moment, (whilst ensuring the uni work is up to date) the aim is to keep improving and keep building a bankroll to be able to make money at cash, aswell as playing the good, bigger tournys at DTD, (and the XXLs) as well as the odd GPS and other event that looks good. Running consistently deep in the comps is the aim, few cashes, who knows maybe another FT is the aim for this year, with a good solid cash game behind me.
Am very lucky at the moment to have a lot of good mates in the poker world, who I can chat too about hands, most of which ive butchered, and taking on thoughts and ideas, which im fairly confident to say myself, has improved my game a lot over the past year or so.
Also have become a member of the Blue Blood team yesterday, which seems an exciting step forward for me.

However, will be making a point that the blog is a good mix of life happenings as well as the odd poker night update. My social life is good and important to me, as I like to see myself as a bit of a charmer Wink, shame im not as good looking as GHolden though, what an easy life that would be Wink Have a few other passions to chat about, but ill save that for another day maybe.
Anyway, ask questions, slag off my spelling, anything you want. Wont be getting a sunday roast pic thread going just yet, but who knows what might happen!

Lots of love,
Verndog

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:54 PM »

in b4 verndog diary

(saving this quote to be used as my first post when he inevitably sets one up)

first

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »

haha bloody hell that was quick!

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »

Good luck with this

Talk to us about the cricket?

Not something you wanted to pursue as a job? Good enough to represent Loughborough in the games against the counties early season?

any notable scalps? best bowling figures?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »

Chris, Chris!!!

SMELLS!

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

Subbed!!!

GLGL Chris with this.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Derbylad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

However, will be making a point that the blog is a good mix of life happenings as well as the odd poker night update. My social life is good and important to me, as I like to see myself as a bit of a charmer Wink, shame im not as good looking as GHolden though, what an easy life that would be Wink Have a few other passions to chat about, but ill save that for another day maybe.

Subbed, GL.
SammyStacks
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

Well done on your recent performance in the GPS.

Few questions..
Can you tell us more about your experience at LUPS? Who would you say you have learnt most from in LUPS and what do you like about their game?

Do you prefer cash games or tournaments and Why?
What would you say is your best and worst poker attribute? money management, table selection...?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:58:37 PM by SammyStacks » Logged
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »

Can you tell us more about your experience at LUPS? Who would you say you have learnt most from in LUPS and what do you like about there  their game?

^^ Why I don't have any friends Cheesy

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »

Subbed. Glgl with this! Should be a decent read! Always nice to get name dropped by THE verndog Tongue

Always love hearing about the conquests in your social life Wink they have been the highlights of my last year Wink LADS LAD LADS!

Pseudo Irish guy luckboxing through life Wink
twitter: adiman999
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

Subbed!!!

GLGL Chris with this.
Cheers Eso!!

Good luck with this

Talk to us about the cricket?

Not something you wanted to pursue as a job? Good enough to represent Loughborough in the games against the counties early season?

any notable scalps? best bowling figures?

If youd asked me as a 10yr old, all the way up to my first year in Perth, i would have snapped said its the only thing id want to do. Was always my aspiration, however, as with any sport, politics as well as realizing maybe i wasnt as good as i thought i was crept in. Also, i know a few guys who were awesome at 17/18, quit school/uni and got released, with nothing going for them. Plus the pay is rubbish, unless you are KP or an international star! Still love playing, and God only knows how many all nighters i pulled over the last ashes series. Lost a bet with some mates in aus, meaning i have to send 3 cartons of beer over for them, gutted.
Uni cricket, simple, failed the trial, not sure why, thought i was a little hard done by. Got a few good mates on the side who think i should be there, but think im happy with them thinking im good rather then me proving im bad!!!
Youd have thought looking at me, id be a bowler, but nope, opening bat here mainly, with a few seamers in the mix on occasion. However i did get Dan Christian out, before he was an IPL and aussie odi player.
Apart from that, have faced Steven Finn, 2 months after he took a 5er at Lords in a test, hes one hell of an angry guy. ALso faced Simon Jones, both of those pretty exciting/ nervy days. Played in the same side as alot of county pros on the circuit now and am lucky enough to call a fair few of them good mates, and still manage to head out on good nights out/ have some beers with them whenever i can.
Best figures? i think it was in the same game i got Christian out, 15ovs 7er 54! Was bowling filthy off spin back then though!!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »

Geography. What led you to choose that subject? Any aspirations to pursue a career in it (depending on dem pokaz)? Are you seen as an outcast at uni because everyone who goes to Loughborough does sports science?

And the more Tal questions:

1. Favourite Simpsons episode
2. Best piece of advice you've ever given someone else
3. Guilty pleasure song
4. Prince "I studied Geography" William, Harry Styles, Shane Warne: who gets one night out on the town with Verndog?
5. Best sporting moment that didn't happen in Istanbul

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »

Gl with this
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »

Few questions..
Can you tell us more about your experience at LUPS? Who would you say you have learnt most from in LUPS and what do you like about their game?

What would you say is your best and worst poker attribute? money management, table selection...?

Ha, some great advertising here Stacks. Learnt alot from it, sitting in a game that strong makes you learn a lot, cant decide how to go into it too much. No brainer on my fave part of the game, watching our very own Rexas getting coolered hand after hand and nearly jumping into the oven was brilliant.

Cash or tournament? Very tricky, love both alot. Sitting deep in a cash game, with a few good mates, playing a few props or having a good time, as well as winning is great. Plus the games in Notts mean the standard is often very good, sitting in games with the likes of Alex (not sure if im allowed to mention his name here anymore Wink), Sean, Mitch etc mean that you have to play right at the top of game. Like to see those as a challenge, only way to improve and i love that aspect. Tournaments too, especially the deep structures, lot of different skill sets, but ones that suit me. Nothing better than bagging chips up for day 2 though!

Best attribute? Think im very hard to tilt, unlike some of my friends Wink Also would never tell a guy hes murdered a hand whilst at the table, even if he stacked me, whats the point? more money for us to make when he does it again!
Worst attribute? Easy, i flirt way tooo much with the dealers and valets!! Cheesy

adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »

Few questions..

Ha, some great advertising here Stacks. Learnt alot from it, sitting in a game that strong makes you learn a lot, cant decide how to go into it too much. No brainer on my fave part of the game, watching our very own Rexas getting coolered hand after hand and nearly jumping into the oven was brilliant.

but how do you live though?

Pseudo Irish guy luckboxing through life Wink
twitter: adiman999
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: