blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hachem has it right, doesn't he?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hachem has it right, doesn't he?  (Read 17747 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »

Not everyone's cup of tea, but talking a lot of sense....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5DXSIv8b4KM
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:23:09 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »

Yup.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »

It's a brilliant interview.

He's retweeted this review:

http://www.allinmag.com/2014/02/04/aussie-aussie-aussie-oy-vey-oy-vey-oy-vey/

“I think poker is dying. And the reason it’s dying is it’s no longer fun for people to play. All these young geniuses at the table who don’t say a word, who bum out all the fish, as soon as the fish walks away from the table, the game breaks, whether it’s online or live … The reason that poker is so enjoyable for people is they go there and have fun.”

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

Well he's not the first person to say that ^^^

Definitely agree with his comments on Gold and Yang though and their effect on the legacy of the world champion (leaving aside the background of some of the pre Moneymaker winners). However, since the move to the November 9 I think it's definitely harder and also less important for the WSOP winner to be an ambassador for poker. More to the point should they have to play that role?

On Tal's point, the players who've made the November 9 and best fulfilled that ambassadorial role haven't been the winners they've been people like Dennis Phillips, who've su,rprise surprise, made the game fun. He of course has plenty of years on the winners, like Hachem. It's probably on his Wikipedia, but Phillips did north of 150 interviews between July and November the year he made the final table. I did one of them in a hotel when EPT London came to town, I assume Dave Shoelace did too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:34:35 AM by dino1980 » Logged
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »

Surely naturally the vibe of a new WSOP winner dies over time. I first started playing poker around the time moneymaker won the world series and it built up a big hype. People loved it, the internet poker boom was so fresh and everyone wanted to be involved. I think the fact that the poker boom is a long way behind us makes it less exciting now, I couldn't even tell you a single person who has won the world series since Duhamel.

Regards to people bum hunting and things being serious I do somewhat agree. When I first started everyone was pretty fun at the table, you don't see JP Kelly, Stu Rutter et al with headphones on and not muttering a word to anyone, they are themselves. I think with a huge influx of young players in the past 5 years has meant it has become a lot more cut-throat and serious, those people caring less about the social aspect and taking it a lot more seriously. Of course this is a lot less fun for the fish but so be it. If the big pro's want to get action in cash games from the fish then they need to offer a reason for them to do it and that is by creating a fun atmosphere to play in or just being a genuine sicko like Ivey. The miserable non-social poker players will never be considered "The elite" among the poker community (fishies and regs) whereas someone like Hellmuth (lol) would be.

So be it, poker is very very new and is always going to be evolving. New people will always be coming into the game and I imagine whatever they see on tv/the internet now will be appealing to them.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd much like sitting on a table with eight Joe Hachems either.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »

It's like with anything, you can't entertain all of the people all of the time.  Some people want to sit there quietly (and not just the younger generation) whereas others would rather sit round and converse with people and have a laugh.  Just recently at DTD I've had some really hostile tables which for me completely takes the fun out the game.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd much like sitting on a table with eight Joe Hachems either.

Imagine that... Any 'one times' about?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

'Who gives a shit about his check raising range'  Cheesy summed it up, my eyes glaze over when that chat starts 
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »

Imagine that... Any 'one times' about?

Sugar everywhere

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »

There has been a pretty big backlash lately from recreational players and older pros against youngsters. I find it quite boring.

I have more sympathy for complaints about online poker because of the way most regulars bumhunt and have such a selfish/short sighted view but can also understand the general detest for software like HUDs and Scripting even though some of the views on huds expressed by people who really don't know too much about them are very laughable.

The last 6 months I've spent very evenly between playing online and live cash games. In the live cash games I really wouldn't separate the behaviour of youngsters from the older crowd. In fact, you see far more berating of the dealers and slowrolling etc from older players like Hachem himself than you do from younger players. Imo this rant isn't totally about the youngsters demeanor. It's probably Hachem just venting about the fact it has become harder for him to win because the general standard has increased, because of young guys who actually work on their game.

Would have definitely given this rant about 100 times more credit had it come from someone like Greg Raymer. People just need to get over the fact that the general standard has increased so much and that's largely because of young guys.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »

end of last year i went for my first live game of poker in a long time, hated every minute of it, no atmosphere even the older players i used to have banter with were nose deep in there Ipads

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

I'd love there to be a rule of no ipads at the table etc.  Part of a poker night at DTD for me is a bit of a laugh with people who I don't know and to have a chat about football and stuff.

Shame that I probably get to say about 30 words all night!
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »

I would welcome a rule of no phones, no ipads etc at the table. Just slows the game down and is antisocial.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »

I would welcome a rule of no phones, no ipads etc at the table. Just slows the game down and is antisocial.

I kinda have to point out that many of the older live 'players' are antisocial to the point of horrible and rude. Similarly many of them don't require ipads/phones/thoughts about why they do stuff to keep them busy they are brilliant at just not paying attention.

As with many rules in poker I can see the reasoning behind thinking to implement this but cant imagine it'd fix the problem it's trying to.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: