blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hachem has it right, doesn't he?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hachem has it right, doesn't he?  (Read 17754 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »

I still every time I sit down try and speak to anybody who is around me ask them how they are, who they are, how old their daughter is etc!

I can't for the life of me think how you've encountered hostility at the table Wink

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »

Agree with the couple of people who said poker reflects society. Poker is a mainstream thing now, so why should it be any different to mainstream society? Most people I've met in my life are nice, fairly anonymous and a bit boring. Who do you think buys all those Keane albums? As for people on their iphones have you been to a football match or a concert recently? That's just how it is.

I must admit I'm not even sure what point Hachem is trying to make here. Does anyone else know?

Whether he is right or wrong I don't know, his point is that the older pros knew that they needed to keep their customers entertained (or at least feel welcome) whereas the new breed of young pros don't understand this side of their trade with their incessant analysis of hands and talk of ranges.  I assume this is his point, and that the failure of the younger generation of pros to understand this will result in less recreational players which reduces profitability.

Ta. That's what I assumed. That has almost nothing and is almost diametrically opposed to Gold and Yang ruining the legacy though, which is why I was confused. I'm not sure he has a 'point' as such just lots of little things he doesn't like, which basically amounts to 'things aren't how they used to be'.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »

yeah - you are right in that the Yang/Gold link doesn't help his argument.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »

yeah - you are right in that the Yang/Gold link doesn't help his argument.

Which is ironic as that's probably something most people would agree with him on. Doubly ironic as they were both big characters in their own way.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »

Personally I agree with Hachem.

I'd class myself as a recreational player, and probably someone pros would want to play with.  I used to play cash games around England but found after a few years of great fun, that the new players I would be sitting with just became incredibly dull.  I'm sure they are nice people but it wasn't what I wanted from a night out.  People rarely drank anything and 90% of the table talk was hand analysis and talk of value ranges and online tournament schedules.  This isn't necessarily a dig at younger players as even older players are at it as well I've noticed.  I'm in my mid 30s for a sense of perspective.

Consequently I just stopped playing in the UK unless it is a private game where I know who is playing.  I'll still play in Vegas or Ireland and make annual trips specifically for that purpose where I find the game far more fun and people take it less seriously.

The question is how many people like me think this way?  If it's just me then obviously it's not an issue.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »

I'm in two minds about this. When he says older players know how to treat the recreational players does that basically mean laugh at jokes that aren't funny and generally patronise them so they feel "entertained"?

I don't agree with him personally. Pokers just evolving not dying. Agree with some of what Cos said- it's just not as easy for him to turn up and beat the game anymore. It's the fact he might actually have to work for his money that's caused resentment and he's used the online players as a scapegoat.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »

I'd class myself as a recreational player, and probably someone pros would want to play with.  I used to play cash games around England but found after a few years of great fun, that the new players I would be sitting with just became incredibly dull.  I'm sure they are nice people but it wasn't what I wanted from a night out.  People rarely drank anything and 90% of the table talk was hand analysis and talk of value ranges and online tournament schedules.  This isn't necessarily a dig at younger players as even older players are at it as well I've noticed.  I'm in my mid 30s for a sense of perspective.

Consequently I just stopped playing in the UK unless it is a private game where I know who is playing.  I'll still play in Vegas or Ireland and make annual trips specifically for that purpose where I find the game far more fun and people take it less seriously.

The question is how many people like me think this way?  If it's just me then obviously it's not an issue.

I actually partially do. I find all this talk of hand histories and ranges to be ridiculously dull, and definitely one of the best ways to alienate most of the table from the conversation.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

when youve played poker for several years at any level...... you get sick of ABC talk in poker on the tables...... dull, dull dull.
its ment to be entertaining and if a nice score comes your way, happy days.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »

It's exactly how I feel good , very post mate ,I rarely if ever play cash now ,I would rather have a spin on roulette win or lose go home,
 rather than go home pissed off that some player I didn't like got it ,been like that for a long time now too
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »

What's an 'O level', grandpa?

Do pay attention Andrew, it is the British Educational Exam System, GCE O & A Levels. "O" is ordinary, "A" Advanced.

I shamefully confess I failed eight O Levels, which must be some sort of record. I passed English Language though. Child prodigy.   

I too got English Language but pride of place goes to my Latin O Level.

Of course, when Ralph sat his Latin O Level it was classed as Modern Language.

When I sat my English Literature exam one of the set books was by Chaucer.

Was the ink still wet?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »

What's an 'O level', grandpa?

Do pay attention Andrew, it is the British Educational Exam System, GCE O & A Levels. "O" is ordinary, "A" Advanced.

I shamefully confess I failed eight O Levels, which must be some sort of record. I passed English Language though. Child prodigy.   

I too got English Language but pride of place goes to my Latin O Level.

Of course, when Ralph sat his Latin O Level it was classed as Modern Language.

When I sat my English Literature exam one of the set books was by Chaucer.

Was the ink still wet?

For youthe and elde is often at debaat

leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2014, 06:19:07 PM »

My highlighted point earlier it's all of us to blame not young or old .....

One of my best days at a poker table was when I sat next to Tommy Bingham for the first time (ispt I think).... Anyway we chatted all day and found out loads about each other never spoke to him before that day.

My worst was was a deep stack a few moths ago where I attempted to make small talk with my table and no one engaged ! I found it very frustrating ....this was a mixture if young and old.

We all need to make an effort

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
welsh1980

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »

4 bottles of WKD I will talk all day (but no-one understands me ) 
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »

4 bottles of WKD I will talk all day (but no-one understands me ) 

Pleno manages more than that and still crushes 1000NL

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kano

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »

Great blog by Dara O'Kearney on the matter - http://dokearney.blogspot.ie/2014/02/old-school-new-school-or-back-to-school.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: