blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6  (Read 158709 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »

Quarter of a million fans sign petition to remake Game of Thrones series 8, blaming 'woefully incompetent writers'

(they have a point lol)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019/05/16/quarter-million-fans-sign-petition-remake-game-thrones-series/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 19, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

this is a very interesting image

article refers

"One episode of “Game of Thrones” remains, but many fans have already come to a decision about the show’s final season: They do not like it"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/17/upshot/game-of-thrones-imdb-ratings.html

--

looking forward to tonight!

My eyes are open wide
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 20, 2019, 03:07:40 AM »

After all this time I can’t help but find this very underwhelming Sad

Blue text
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 20, 2019, 05:35:19 AM »

Feel robbed
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 20, 2019, 07:09:34 AM »

It's a very literary ending - I'm guessing GRRM gave plot points along the way to the end and then gave a detailed overview of the very ending.

I think it was a great ending, but it highlights how poor the decision was by the showrunners to only have 6 episodes in this last season.

A simple fix would have been to have a 2 or 3 hour long finale but they could only have done that with more episodes leading up to it - that would have then also fixed all the problems with the rest of the story being rushed in this season.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:44 AM »

Very much felt like two parts. Loved the first part up to the point that the dragon takes her off. Thought the burning of the Iron Throne was quite good, didn’t dragon fire forge it? Tyrion and Jon together felt right, Jon trying to cling on to her being queen right up to the very moment he kills her.

Then the second part started. The kings council bit felt wrong, sending Jon to wall (and beyond?) seemed like it didn’t fit the narrative from last few seasons, especially with Greyworm and the troops sailing off. Bran becoming King when he hasn’t really been in the show or had his character developed in that direction (what happened to him not being bran anymore, he said himself he was the 3 eyed raven now) The only thing that seemed ok in the second part for me was Sansa and Ayna, exactly how you would expect it.

I suppose the nod towards family’s no longer ruling and future rulers being chosen the same way (and eventually by the people as Sam had suggested) is the first step towards democracy rule.

Feel like I need to read the books but no sure I’m clever enough to follow all the characters. Has anyone read all of them so far?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: May 20, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »

Where did the dragon go?

The older I get, the better I was.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Very much felt like two parts. Loved the first part up to the point that the dragon takes her off. Thought the burning of the Iron Throne was quite good, didn’t dragon fire forge it? Tyrion and Jon together felt right, Jon trying to cling on to her being queen right up to the very moment he kills her.

Then the second part started. The kings council bit felt wrong, sending Jon to wall (and beyond?) seemed like it didn’t fit the narrative from last few seasons, especially with Greyworm and the troops sailing off. Bran becoming King when he hasn’t really been in the show or had his character developed in that direction (what happened to him not being bran anymore, he said himself he was the 3 eyed raven now) The only thing that seemed ok in the second part for me was Sansa and Ayna, exactly how you would expect it.

I suppose the nod towards family’s no longer ruling and future rulers being chosen the same way (and eventually by the people as Sam had suggested) is the first step towards democracy rule.

Feel like I need to read the books but no sure I’m clever enough to follow all the characters. Has anyone read all of them so far?

The books are great, and quite easy to follow, as each chapter is written from the perspective of one character.  There are more characters, some of whom never made it to TV, and some with very different story arcs (i.e. dead in books, less so on TV).

Well worth it.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #939 on: May 20, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »

I could be a character.

Tomus Redarian. First of his name. Breaker of wind. Eater of pies.....

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »

Simple minds are easily pleased, so I enjoyed it.

Good to see Bron back on the firm, at the end.

Feel robbed

Head a few blocks behind the strip and take a walk this summer.

You'll feel proper robbed then Grin

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »

Disappointing really.

Lots of plot holes at the end, final series a couple of episodes short.

Still, an all time great series

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »

I've seen about half a dozen episodes of GoT (started when the show started, didn't take to it, have watched a handful of episodes since - eg, the Red Wedding). However, I have read episode synopses after the broadcast for the last few series (mainly UK newspaper sites). I also have a good friend who's a proper Thronie, whose weekly mission has been to report to me on everything that's happened, what was good, bad, clever and silly, and where the TV deviated from the books. After initial resistance, I've accepted the inevitability of these messages and so have a broad working knowledge of the happenings. I have the kind of knowledge to know what the Cleganebowl is and I have all the Lannisters and Starks, but in the smaller details am not sure whether Jerome Flynn made it out alive.  

If you'd been told before episode 1 of this series that the ending would be as it is (Jon, Dany, Drogon, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Brienne and so on being where they are), would this have been acceptable?

The impression I have is that the ending was a bit "storybook", but that's kind of the point because fantasy stories are supposed to end that way. I get GOT is "different" (it isn't, but ok...) but the concept of no single ruler over all the kingdoms and the beginnings of a democratic process in a world that will never forget what horrors can be unleashed when they fight must be a decent ending of itself. Plus the Starks who started off as the main family end as the main family.

I figured the Dany demise was inevitable, so I was surprised by all the uproar about it. She had said at the start it would be a bloody ending and it makes sense that one of her and Jon had to kill the other - seriously, in what telly universe could the writers end something with a man running the world with his aunt/wife? - one of them had to "turn" and it made more sense for it to be her than him. Standard Jacobean hug/stab for the win. If in doubt, you can always use one of those as a writer.  

So, I thought the ending when I read it was pretty sensible. Consensus is it didn't get to that ending in the way people wanted, but the ending itself sounds pretty fair.

Obviously, next time, if you want character development, get Phoebe Waller-Bridge to write it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:36:04 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Juperjiper

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 20, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »

I’m glad aryas faceless training was so crucial to the story line.
Brans warging skills were amazing too, so useful.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 20, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »

I actually liked the last half hour or so - the council choosing a leader, the laughter at references to democracy, Bran the Squint, Greyworm looking double 'ard, the little scene at the end with Tyrion and his homies  (Jerome and Davos are my faves I think) running the court/council whatever was pretty good and an interesting homage to the end of the Godfather (1 or 2, one of them anyway).

All in all - utter pish and one of the all time average series. Had to go back and watch a few early episodes to see why I ever watched it - not convinced it was a good judgement but much better earlier obvs. Think I must have slept through half of them because we see Mountain quite early with a proper face and about half the size he later was and I'd forgotten that. Gonna have to watch a few more old ones to see when he lost his face.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: