blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014 World Cup Betting / Discussion thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 World Cup Betting / Discussion thread  (Read 48074 times)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

What price would you want on Messi not to score for it to be attractive?

Fair to say he scores about one in two on average for Argentina and you'd expect him to take pens...

30/1+ off the top of my head. Is it priced up anywhere?

It's in Paddy's specials and 14/1

meh, wouldn't be getting too excited about that. My theory was say he is probs about evens to score and plays x 5 matches minimum.

Yeah had similar thoughts, just wondered if I was wildly out given he's 'not in form' heh
anthonyl
Old blog:

www.lindfield1984.blogspot.com

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »

Thoughts on 3/1 for there to be 165 or over in goals?

Would be a fun one to sweat!

146 has been the average since 1990.  The last 3 World cups having played 64 games is 156.  The trend is getting lower though...171, 161, 147, 145.

Hmmm. 3/1 seems a bit short then, will see if can get 4.5/1 or better anywhere.

maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »

Bosnia's total tournament goals (including extra time) with SPIN is 4 - 4.4.

That's a big buy for me
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »

That was a surprisingly good goal in a dire match.

This is exactly how I expect we will be playing in Brazil: slow passing, going nowhere and hoping for a bit of magic.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

This is exactly how I expect we will be playing in Brazil: slow passing, going nowhere and hoping for a bit of magic.

Unfortunately I agree with every word.

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »

More or Less summed it up

I like to be an optimist and get behind England but Sturridges Goal has just masked a poor performance , add to that the woeful ITV commentary and the monotone team they have assembled it could be a painful few weeks ahead  !
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »

I've punted on a few things, but none of them involve England, and that should mean I'm live until quite deep in the comp...

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

I noticed tonight that Cahill and Jagielka went up for every corner/set piece and obv both scored

England are in a difficult group D and are favourites with the bookies not to progress so if that is the case they would only play 3 games so an odd goal could decide the Top England goalscorer market .

Historically these markets have quite often resulted in dead / joint dead heats so with our two first choice centre halves priced at 40 and 100 -1 respectively they could be worth a small punt at fancy prices.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/england/top-goalscorer
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2014, 01:48:47 AM »

Uruguay 0 N Ireland 0 at half time.

Every time I've seen them (mainly in the Confederations cup) they've been utterly underwhelming.
Spudy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »

Does anyone else have any opinion on who will will the actual trophy itself? Theres lots of ideas about who is going to be top goal scorer etc but is there no opinions about who is going to win it, bar the mention for Belgiuim, which I would say aint worth following at its current price which looks too short at 16-1, but they were worth a bet quite some time ago at 100-1.

Basically, in my opinion, the World cup is typically won by 4 teams, Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina. There are exceptions to this, typically when some teams win it when they are the host nation, Uruguay 1930s, England 1966 and France 1998. the only other exception to this would be Spain, when the tournament was held in South Africa in 2010. Brazil are the hosts which rules out an oddity happening, will be interesting to see what happens in Qatar.

Obviously there the geographical factor, which can or cannot be discounted depending on your view. in South America the tournament has always been won by a South American team which would leave you with two from the mentioned above four, Brazil or Argentina. The sample size is small granted, but i would suggest it is certainly more beneficial for those teams such as Brazil or Argentina rather than a hinderance. The players are more likely to feel at home, than say italy Spain or Germany for that matter.

With Spain and Germany in horrific groups, and Italy not being the force they normally are, it would leave us with the top two in the betting which is no great surprise.

It is very rare for the Worlds best player, who plays for the big four, so to speak, to not win the World cup. i would suggest that Lionel Messi, as he is peaking at 26 I believe has an amazing chance to lead his country to victory in six weeks time. the only exception to this is Zico who never won it, but that is subject to personal opinion.

People can talk about Cristian Ronaldo being currently worlds best, but I couldnt even name one other team member, and they wouldnt even be a bet for the Euros, never mind a World cup

Quite whether a young Neymar will be able to cope with the pressure placed on his shoulders like Ronaldo in 1998 when he had a fit, remains to be seen, and I imagine, a World Cup win is too soon for the young man.

Also with the various problems Brazil are facing economically and socially, that cannot benefit the teams morale, with so many protests going on, it surely is a burden that they could do without.

Argentina, whos balance appears much better than 4 years ago, having breezed through qualification, with toxic Tevez effectively removed from the squad after the Man City substitute debacle, so the team revolves around Messi alone, are surely the bet at a best priced 9-2. the group win is surely a cert and a final against Brazil is a good probability

Di maria is very impressive, and with Higuian, and Aguero up front, with Messi pulling strings in midfield, they have without question the best attacking line up, instantly putting others on the back foot. They have beaten Germany Italy and Sweden away in friendlies over the last couple of years too.

The current manager, unlike Maradona, is a much quieter man, and less of a hinderance shall we say.

In short I feel it is Argentinas year, and the 9/2 is a good bet, having come in from 6-1 that was available 3 years ago when i first started backing them.

Watch this, and say to me he isnt destined to win one World Cup. This is his best chance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJdlMBrX1-8

Thoughts welcome.

Did i ever mention that Napoli won a match once???
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »

don't think the Germany group is horrific. watched ghana tonight and didn't see too much to get me worried about from a germany viewpoint

i think the South American team on their own continent factor is way over-rated these days...travel is easier, sports science, sports psychology much more advanced...all bar 3 of the brazil team play in europe, 2/3 of the argentina squad play in europe

of course argentina is a reasonable bet, but at 9/2 pretty much priced in in a very efficient market

of the big four i argued that germany could outperform their price

http://www.betpal.com/fifa-world-cup-brazil-2014-the-winner-market

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

Montolivo out of World Cup (fractured tibia against Ireland) reports Sky Italia.

miserable for the man

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Spudy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »

Think Germany are a bet for 2018 with WH at 10-1 personally, a long way off I know, but Germany at 13/2 isnt for me, not this tournament.

Spudy

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

Germany got the worst of the draw as in the locations of the group fixtures.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »

Germany got the worst of the draw as in the locations of the group fixtures.

Italy have that honour for certain.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: