blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 10:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273018 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Marks-ups getting out of hand
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marks-ups getting out of hand  (Read 33280 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

The main reason for this thread was to get pleno in the rail.

I have won!
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »

If I challenged peoples posts on FB charging mark-up I'd probably lose a few friends. I have some friends who are pretty bad at poker on FB but are playing things like online 1ks+ and selling at 1.2. Annoys me a bit but I just try to ignore it.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »

Personally don't think mark-ups are an issue at all. Provided that all the evidence is provided to show why they feel they can charge a mark-up and the sellers don't try to hide facts or figures from the potential buyers. I'm sure we've all looked at some packages with mark-up on and thought 'wow that seems high', but obviously you just wouldn't buy a piece, however, others might do. Provided both parties are happy and fully informed, it's fine.

Also I think the buyers have a decent amount of responsibility about what they are buying. If someone buys a piece in someone at X mark-up without really knowing what it means, they should probably do a bit of research. If I went out and bought a fancy electronic gadget, I might not know how its features work, but i'd look it up before shelling out $$ on it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:04:52 PM by WotRTheChances » Logged
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

He sells at 1.15.

He gets plenty of action.

If I challenged peoples posts on FB charging markup I'd probably lose a few friends. I have some friends who are pretty bad at poker on FB but are playing things like online 1ks+ and selling at 1.2. Annoys me a bit but I just try to ignore it.

This is sort of the problem.  It's really hard to comment on certain situations, I think it's hard to comment on individual situations and I think some people are completely oblivious to the fact they're doing it through lack of understanding themselves.  If people haven't been told what they're doing is wrong, either privately or publicly, then they probably don't realise that they are gambling away other peoples hard earned cash and charging them for the privilege of doing so.

At the end of the day selling pieces of yourself is business.  People are not buying at a premium to give their mates a spin and if they are, should be made aware of that fact.  Some of them are buying because they believe they will make a return on their investment in the long run.  There are also further issues related to this where people genuinely believe that they have an edge vs certain fields when they do not.  At end of they day it is it up to the buyer whether or not they wish to invest and if they believe it is a reasonable proposition or not.

However, if you sell at a MU you should provide ALL the details of the proposition clearly, with the amount of MU, provide references and results where necessary and respond to any questions or queries openly.

What annoyed me most about the most recent thread was the 'your not buying so it has nothing to do with you' attitude.  We have seen one incident on Blonde fairly recently of people turning a blind eye to unusual staking behavior and an innocent person was left with a debt of £1000 to collect.  I know this is an extreme example and there were certain other factors that led to this happening, but it definitely has to be the responsibility of the community to police these threads and if you feel that something isn't right you have a right to speak up.

Also think Dan is OOL here calling MC out.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »

if you sell 70/30 what mu is that?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »

1.4ish
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »

Also think Dan is OOL here calling MC out.

Click to see full-size image.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »

I think Mark-Ups were out of hand, but currently aren't that out of hand, not on blonde anyways

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

I don't like the trend in mid-high stakes mtters selling their action on social media without writing the markup down. They just say the tournament and how much 10% costs. So the seller has to work out the markup themselves.

I was almost duped into buying ept action ( usually €5300 buyin) where 1% I was told cost €55 or something. Then I found out that this ept was €4900 so the markup was actually a lot higher.

Markup should always be posted in the OP imo.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »

if you sell 70/30 what mu is that?

lol
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

I sold once the other day Patrick at 30/70 after the stake back. I clearly wrote that I was looking to sell 100% and that I would take 30% after the stake back had been returned, I also don't ever have any of my 'friends' buy pieces, only people that know what they are doing, not that that makes a difference.

When I sell just a % I never put mark up on any online tournaments, I feel this is my way of balancing it out a bit, I sold a mark up in WCOOP 2010 as a package, and that was 1.15, other than that never.

If you think any of my threads either on here or on Facebook have been mis leading in any way then you are not the person I thought you were.

Please ask Sam Razavi if he thinks my post was mis leading in any way. Please then ask Nick Hicks if he thought it was mis leading when he backed me for a selection of comps a few weeks back, and then when you have done that, please ask Ludovic Jonson if he thinks I was being mis leading in any way when he done the same thing last night for me.

Just to keep the TRANSPARENCY.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »

I thought I made some really good points, I agreed with Greekstein that the comment about the mark up was OOL, other than that I think I was fair in what I wrote and don't see how people who are meant to be regs in poker can get away with putting up such a poor staking proposal, when in reality it is always going to be bought by people that don't have a clue, so therefore it is misguided information.

Not sure why you felt the need to call me out, other than you clearly think I am pretty shit at poker, would never buy a piece in any of my staking threads, and thought this a perfect opportunity to have another dig.

So many people in that thread have took what I have said the wrong way, they are being very ignorant to what I am trying to say, I think Matt Davenport summed it up perfectly, 'Misunderstood'. If there was ever a word that suited me better it is that one.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

No one has called you out on here dreenie?  Or am I missing something?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sack it off

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »

I don't think anyone should sell over 30% of themselves at face value, they may as well play a smaller buy in at a higher ROI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: