blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Road to being a pro
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road to being a pro  (Read 140446 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »

Don't you only play like 20NL?

Either way, don't pay £100 per hour for coaching at your levels. I know a couple of players from Sky that offer coaching and they're 2 of the best cash players on the site, and only charge £30 per hour, both of which I've received coaching from (albeit 1 of them was only for one session) and would recommend them highly. Think whoever is offering it for £100 per hour is trying to rip you off tbh.

In a standard coaching session what normally happens? Do they advise you whilst you're playing, watch you then give you feedback, etc?

I've always been a believer that just getting out there and playing hands is the best way to learn.

watching someone play in real time cant be a good way for coaching to work out unless 1 tabling and even then it would just degenerate into ghosting even if unintentional. coaching should be focused on the student and what they are looking to achieve. everyone learns differently and at different speeds.

playing hands is a great way to get experience at poker but you still need to be fundamentally sound or putting in more and more volume will just lead to you losing more and more and getting frustrated.

100 an hour seems a farce
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »

Don't you only play like 20NL?

Either way, don't pay £100 per hour for coaching at your levels. I know a couple of players from Sky that offer coaching and they're 2 of the best cash players on the site, and only charge £30 per hour, both of which I've received coaching from (albeit 1 of them was only for one session) and would recommend them highly. Think whoever is offering it for £100 per hour is trying to rip you off tbh.

In a standard coaching session what normally happens? Do they advise you whilst you're playing, watch you then give you feedback, etc?

I've always been a believer that just getting out there and playing hands is the best way to learn.

100 an hour seems a farce

Depends on the level of skill, willingness to try new and probably weird things, and happiness levels of the ending.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »

Definitely agree with experience helping to your increase your skill level. However, having an insight on your play by someone who is clearly better than you is still never going to be a bad thing. Honestly, he plays 2/5 zoom so I feel like he can charge however much he wants. Say he helped my up my win rate by 5bbs a 100 it would only take 10,000 hands for me to earn my money back. This is discounting future earnings at higher stakes as well. Obviously it's unlikely anyone is going to improve that much but when you consider coaches are protecting their own edge as well, after all it is a zero sum game, I can understand why they would charge that much.

Not gonna get coaching for the time being anyway. Will get it when I'm playing 50nl, flicking in 2 BIs is probably plus EV in the long run.

Appreciate everyone warding me off playing poker for a living and I'm well aware of the competitive nature of it. Very few are capable of making a living out of it. But I am not doing this professionally at the moment, I'm back at uni. But I refuse to have the mindset of thinking, "oh I just want to play it as a game and have fun". Like I want to win a lot of money from it and I'm well aware that what I put in is what I'll get out.

Anyway did the best suckout I've done for a while today. btn opens to .60 sb calls, I call with KT off 4 hours sleep. 1097dd sb shoves 50bigs, he's done this before, dunno if it's with a linear range or polarised one but I'm happy to see 2 more here as I'm going to be good a decent amount, I reshoved for some reason, btn snaps w/ 99. Turn K river K. Party time. Played a couple of tournies as well, the sky 5.50 I think and the 10 dollar 6max snap on 888. Was chippy for a while on 88 then busted on the bubble after losing heaps with QQ v 77. Never got going on Sky and shoved QJhh into QQ for a non sweat.

Gonna try and play more poker than FIFA tomorrow which is gonna be a struggle. Played football games since I was about 5 and had ISS(Roberto Larcos) on the Nintendo 64 and FIFA on the gameboy. Send me a message if you have it on PC, happy to put a few bets on if anyone's interested.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

Assuming you're already at least breakeven, if you can find a coach that can increase your winrate by 5bb/100 in an hour I will personally sex a goat.

KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »

Assuming you're already at least breakeven, if you can find a coach that can increase your winrate by 5bb/100 in an hour I will personally sex a goat.
Booked. Gonna get Odd_Oddsen to teach me PLO.

Also anyone have problems with HHs on Sky? Sometimes when I already have 2 open it won't let me bring another one open and then I close the ones I have open and it still won't work. Torn between thinking Sky is decent and thinking the software is a load of shite. The time bank is stupidly fast for normal tables as well.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2014, 12:46:33 AM »

rexas is right, for £100 seeds an hour id be wanting rub downs on the felt, and off it too

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »

Booked. Gonna get Odd_Oddsen to teach me PLO.

Also anyone have problems with HHs on Sky? Sometimes when I already have 2 open it won't let me bring another one open and then I close the ones I have open and it still won't work. Torn between thinking Sky is decent and thinking the software is a load of shite. The time bank is stupidly fast for normal tables as well.

it's dreadful ldo. hhs are a nightmare.

you dont need someone who plays 2/5 to teach you to beat nl20 on sky or w/e. each to their own.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »

who is the guy?

do you have a birthday coming up? maybe ask for it as a present? or agree with parents that if you get x grade they give you 4 hours or something.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »

who is the guy?

do you have a birthday coming up? maybe ask for it as a present? or agree with parents that if you get x grade they give you 4 hours or something.

4 hours? WAL you lead Wink

Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

who is the guy?

Just ask this guy no arguments then.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

who is the guy?

Yeah good idea. Blah234 off deucescracked.

Anyone know how to calculate points on Sky poker? need 500 more points by the end of the month and I get an extra 20 quid. Wanna go for it if it's less than 10 hours.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

who is the guy?

Yeah good idea. Blah234 off deucescracked.

Anyone know how to calculate points on Sky poker? need 500 more points by the end of the month and I get an extra 20 quid. Wanna go for it if it's less than 10 hours.

Sorry, I was offline last night, & so missed this. Probably a bit late now, with just 2 days to go.

I don't really understand how the Cash "Reward Points" work, as I'm mainly a SNG player these days, & it would be bad etiquette towards our Sponsor to post a link.

However....

It always surprises me how often this question is asked when there are just a few days left in the month.

I always set out my goals & targets for Reward Points before the month starts, so I have something to aim for. It's quite satisfying to stay on target, & even beat it, & get a few bob back.

It's much easier for a SNG player, as we know exactly how many Points we will earn per game, of course.

So I just decide how many points or money I'd like to make, assess how many playing days I'll have available, & divide one into the other. 

In my case, I usually go for 3,300 points, which is £50, & if I have, say, 20 "poker days" available, then I know I need around 165 points per session, so that's exactly what I do, play each evening until I hit my nightly target. It's really quite satisfying, & £50 comes in handy every month.

The same logic applies on any sites you play, of course, though maybe you get more for less elsewhere. Wink     

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »

In my quest to make an extra 20 quid in bonuses I've lost about 4 buy ins. aces>kings twice, fours>aces and jacks<a4. Did have quads vs full house at one stage which was nice but fuck me today has been brutal so far. But then again I had top KJ on kt4cc in a 3bet pot to lose another buy in. Wasn't sure if this was standard or not. Reg opens btn I 3bet KJss from SB, calls. KT4cc I x, prob can't fire three streets and get called by worse here versus good oppos but did have not that said he calls down light so prob should have fired, either is fine imo, he bets 2/3, I call. Turn is blank I x, he bets 2/3 I call. River is another blank and I x he shoves~pot, I call. Thoughts? Fold river?

Also really hate playing during the day. Way less fun players, way less tables and I always seem to get smashed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:02:55 PM by KingPush » Logged
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2014, 05:52:51 PM »

Realised I was going out later so just 8 tabled it for about 2.5 hours and did it. AA v KK one more time just for laughs. Starting to think people only get AA and KK in pre in a lot of spots which is pretty wrong but explains why I really struggle to win all ins, like I got in Jacks when I opened button sb min 3bet bb overcalled I 4bet sb basically jammed and I put in the rest and he turned up with KK, these are supposed regs so maybe they know what they're doing but I dunno. No idea how I did in the session just gonna look on the 5th when the RB comes in.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »

Realised I was going out later so just 8 tabled it for about 2.5 hours and did it. AA v KK one more time just for laughs. Starting to think people only get AA and KK in pre in a lot of spots which is pretty wrong but explains why I really struggle to win all ins, like I got in Jacks when I opened button sb min 3bet bb overcalled I 4bet sb basically jammed and I put in the rest and he turned up with KK, these are supposed regs so maybe they know what they're doing but I dunno. No idea how I did in the session just gonna look on the 5th when the RB comes in.

It is 5 WORKING days after the month end, so in theory you will get paid on Tuesday 7th October not Sunday 5th. On some occasions, they pay a day or so earlier.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: