blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:53:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Road to being a pro
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road to being a pro  (Read 140416 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »

Realised I was going out later so just 8 tabled it for about 2.5 hours and did it. AA v KK one more time just for laughs. Starting to think people only get AA and KK in pre in a lot of spots which is pretty wrong but explains why I really struggle to win all ins, like I got in Jacks when I opened button sb min 3bet bb overcalled I 4bet sb basically jammed and I put in the rest and he turned up with KK, these are supposed regs so maybe they know what they're doing but I dunno. No idea how I did in the session just gonna look on the 5th when the RB comes in.

This probably goes right back to what people have been saying about exploiting vs gt. From what I've seen of sky (and I've seen a reasonable amount) a lot of the general player pool on there just aren't very good. As such, the standard "winning" regs are just nits (as they will be at any micro stakes level). This is basically how to beat these games on sky, play tight, get it in with a strong range and pass up some of these marginal spots, because they just have it, especially the regs.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

In my quest to make an extra 20 quid in bonuses I've lost about 4 buy ins. aces>kings twice, fours>aces and jacks<a4. Did have quads vs full house at one stage which was nice but fuck me today has been brutal so far. But then again I had top KJ on kt4cc in a 3bet pot to lose another buy in. Wasn't sure if this was standard or not. Reg opens btn I 3bet KJss from SB, calls. KT4cc I x, prob can't fire three streets and get called by worse here versus good oppos but did have not that said he calls down light so prob should have fired, either is fine imo, he bets 2/3, I call. Turn is blank I x, he bets 2/3 I call. River is another blank and I x he shoves~pot, I call. Thoughts? Fold river?

Also really hate playing during the day. Way less fun players, way less tables and I always seem to get smashed.

better players play in the day the shit ones are at work earning their cash to donk off at night. Wink
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

games are much better at night, but somehow over the course of 2 years I lost money in sessions that started after 8pm and won heaps in sessions starting before 4pm.

Always seems a lot less stressful in the daytime, just a few guys trying to nick a few quid as opposed to the evenings where everyone is baying for blood.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

games are much better at night, but somehow over the course of 2 years I lost money in sessions that started after 8pm and won heaps in sessions starting before 4pm.

Always seems a lot less stressful in the daytime, just a few guys trying to nick a few quid as opposed to the evenings where everyone is baying for blood.

'It's easier playing against good players' that old chestnut when you are a pro.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »

yeh i mean obviously being a huge boss helps

KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »

yeh i mean obviously being a huge boss helps

haha mbn

Gonna aim for 5000 points on sky poker. I'm 8 tabling at the moment and gonna 2 BI shot take at 50nl once I get to 1k. Aim is still to make 3k by the end of the year and I still feel like I'm going to do it. I'll only play live if I get staked or get to 1600.

Thoughts on this hand, think it should be a fold pre

UTG opens to .7
I 3bet to 1.7 with 
He flats
flop

He leads full pot, I call
turn 10x
He leads full pot again, I shove for 21. Had no reads on the player but think I'm shoving QT, KKns, AsKs, AsJs and KsJs and then calling hands like AA and QQ and flush draws with a pair.
Lambert180

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

Couldn't agree more with some of the comments above/previous comments about GTO v exploitative. I was discussing this with a mate the other day and it's just far better on Sky to not be focussing on trying to play GTO imo.

I've played probably 1million+ hands at low stakes on Sky (20-50NL) and completely agree with Rexas. One of the best things for my winrate was to stop levelling myself into thinking that surely they gotta bluff X% in this spot when they just aint. Most regs don't have a light 3/4b range, almost all aint getting it in wider than QQ+/AK pre (and for a lot it is just AA/KK, maybe AKs if they feel saucy), they vv rarely bluff more than 1 street post, and they generally tend to not vbet thin enough either. Obv there's a ton of sweeping statements in there but for the most part they apply to 90% of Sky regs.

As that's the case, it's much better to focus on exploiting them rather than playing GTO when they'll just nut peddle V you. Obv it's up to you how you wanna do that.... if their range for continuing when facing a 4b is KK+ but they 3b a fair bit wider than KK+ (may not always be the case) then I'd 4b bluff lots w/ blockers and just make your 4b sizing tiny V them (dw, they won't adjust). Lots more you could do obv but just exploit, exploit, exploit imo.

Mornings sessions ftw! Always seem to get more punters and less regs in my morning like 10am - 2pm sessions.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:18:57 PM by Lambert180 » Logged
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »

Couldn't agree more with some of the comments above/previous comments about GTO v exploitative. I was discussing this with a mate the other day and it's just far better on Sky to not be focussing on trying to play GTO imo.

I've played probably 1million+ hands at low stakes on Sky (20-50NL) and completely agree with Rexas. One of the best things for my winrate was to stop levelling myself into thinking that surely they gotta bluff X% in this spot when they just aint. Most regs don't have a light 3/4b range, almost all aint getting it in wider than QQ+/AK pre (and for a lot it is just AA/KK, maybe AKs if they feel saucy), they vv rarely bluff more than 1 street post, and they generally tend to not vbet thin enough either. Obv there's a ton of sweeping statements in there but for the most part they apply to 90% of Sky regs.

As that's the case, it's much better to focus on exploiting them rather than playing GTO when they'll just nut peddle V you. Obv it's up to you how you wanna do that.... if their range for continuing when facing a 4b is KK+ but they 3b a fair bit wider than KK+ (may not always be the case) then I'd 4b bluff lots w/ blockers and just make your 4b sizing tiny V them (dw, they won't adjust). Lots more you could do obv but just exploit, exploit, exploit imo.

Mornings sessions ftw! Always seem to get more punters and less regs in my morning like 10am - 2pm sessions.

That bold bit is the answer. Like 100% proper thin value, combined with learning to fold rivers, is how to smash up the micros.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »

That bold bit is the answer. Like 100% proper thin value, combined with learning to fold rivers, is how to smash up the micros.

Yeah agree a lot. Think I've xr bluffed river about 50 times v regs and everyone one of them feels like its been snapped. Which leads to the point about folding rivers don't think anyone bluffs them.

When I try to go for thin value I always seem to value town myself. Gonna try just betting pot every time I have top pair plus v fun players though.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »

Kingpush,

Have you read John Blacks diary ? If not, I think you would find it useful.

Good luck

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »

make good value-bets and pick off the silly bluffs.

This is how we win money in cash games.

KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »

3 BI day, not bad considering only played for 2.5 hours. Shoulda stopped 8 tabling on Sky ages ago just not good enough for it with the timebank on there. Prob end up winning if I nitted it up and took the rb but I find that fairly soul destroying even though the rush is a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7f_WMMSvuM
sunny1

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »

philosophy&poker  good combination
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2014, 12:40:16 AM »

Had a decent day but pretty much b/e since the start of the month. Swapped 20% in the Storm with someone and he got a decent cash which helped. Felt like I was playing his game rather than mine though, didn't really like the pressure of it at all. I think someone's poker strategy is a fairly personal thing and whilst one person does one thing andn another might do something different their win rates could be very similar. It all makes sense over an entire strategy if you see what I mean rather than one hand.

Played more in the last 4 days than I probably ever have in the same time span and think my game has swung massively between different spectrum's. From alright to shit and then back again. Noticed I play really badly after I lose a BI no matter how it was lost. And also after I win a BI no matter how it was won. Definitely go through spells of trying to win every pot when it's just not possible.

On for the 5000 points mark by the end of the month which will bring in a ton. Gonna try and just grind it out 4 tabling rather than smash it 12 tabling on the last few days. On the uni front there is very little to do at the moment, so keep your hair on!
sunny1

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »

thumbs up Good luck!!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: