blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014-15 NFL Discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014-15 NFL Discussion thread  (Read 74412 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 31, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »

The best SI pictures of the 2014 NFL season

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/31/2014-nfl-season-best-pictures/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »

wasnt there a college QB that got 90% of vote or something for player of year?

Marcus Mariota, will be drafted 1 and play for the Buccaneers, and throw to Mike Evans amongst others

going to turn round that franchise quickly assuming reasonably sensible drafting/coaching around him

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »

I saw a scenario Rich where Chicago could  actually give up a pick to get Cutler off their hands given how restrictive his contract is, so Cutler plus say a 4th-5th rounder for a pick later in the draft. How likely do you think that is?

Not sure. can't remember too many instances of a team giving up a pick to trade away a player

i did see Shanahan (who i think drafted cutler and marshall at denver) is in the frame to go to the bears, with the thought being that cutler would be his big reclamation project

makes a change from everyone else chasing seattle and arizona coaches for interviews i suppose

from early looks the strengths in this draft is in pass rush and running back

leonard williams at usc looks like a richard seymour type up front. there's melvin gordon and todd gurley and many other running backs that will make an immediate impact, there's a couple of wide receivers too (amari cooper)...but it doesn't look like a draft class that had the depth of last year

there's quite a bit of hidden luck in building a team, does the draft class fit with what you need to draft in a given year and where you are picking etc...part of the reason why many teams' successes go in cycles

Arizona and Seattle defense coaches plus Denver and New England offensive coaches.

To what extent is the fact these are the in demand coaches purely down to the fact they are coaching the best group of players at their position in the NFL?

Who is to say the Jacksonville OC (who was fired yesterday) isn't a better coach than Adam Gase at Denver?

The Jax geezer had to work with Bortles, Gerhart and Ceeeeeeeeecil Shorts, while Gase has Peyton, Demerius and Julius.

very good question,

the Seattle DC Quinn is implementing Carroll's philosophy with a roster drafted by GM Schneider. Superb drafting has given them a great defense

now the world and his wife wants to hire Quinn. Is it Quinn's doing, and is it replicable?

getting these big picutre decisions right when hiring is the key to turning round franchises quickly

Whoever makes the draft/scouting decisions for Seattle is the real genius of that organisation.

Not Pete Carroll who is just a glorified Jason Garrett and certainly not the cordinators.

Kam Chancellor round 5
Richard Sherman round 5
Russell Wilson round 3
Earl Thomas pick 14. (were there really 13 better players than him in the 2010 draft?)
Marshawn Lynch the scrapheap

These are all remarkable IMO.

That seems to have been part of the power struggle in San Fran too with the GM wanting the credit for getting the team in place and Harbaugh believes he was the one that turned those players into a winning team. The owner is in line with the GM in that they think they would still have been successful with a different coach but wouldn't have been successful if they had drafted badly and sided with GM when push came to shove.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 31, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »

I saw a scenario Rich where Chicago could  actually give up a pick to get Cutler off their hands given how restrictive his contract is, so Cutler plus say a 4th-5th rounder for a pick later in the draft. How likely do you think that is?

Not sure. can't remember too many instances of a team giving up a pick to trade away a player

i did see Shanahan (who i think drafted cutler and marshall at denver) is in the frame to go to the bears, with the thought being that cutler would be his big reclamation project

makes a change from everyone else chasing seattle and arizona coaches for interviews i suppose

from early looks the strengths in this draft is in pass rush and running back

leonard williams at usc looks like a richard seymour type up front. there's melvin gordon and todd gurley and many other running backs that will make an immediate impact, there's a couple of wide receivers too (amari cooper)...but it doesn't look like a draft class that had the depth of last year

there's quite a bit of hidden luck in building a team, does the draft class fit with what you need to draft in a given year and where you are picking etc...part of the reason why many teams' successes go in cycles

Arizona and Seattle defense coaches plus Denver and New England offensive coaches.

To what extent is the fact these are the in demand coaches purely down to the fact they are coaching the best group of players at their position in the NFL?

Who is to say the Jacksonville OC (who was fired yesterday) isn't a better coach than Adam Gase at Denver?

The Jax geezer had to work with Bortles, Gerhart and Ceeeeeeeeecil Shorts, while Gase has Peyton, Demerius and Julius.

very good question,

the Seattle DC Quinn is implementing Carroll's philosophy with a roster drafted by GM Schneider. Superb drafting has given them a great defense

now the world and his wife wants to hire Quinn. Is it Quinn's doing, and is it replicable?

getting these big picutre decisions right when hiring is the key to turning round franchises quickly

Whoever makes the draft/scouting decisions for Seattle is the real genius of that organisation.

Not Pete Carroll who is just a glorified Jason Garrett and certainly not the cordinators.

Kam Chancellor round 5
Richard Sherman round 5
Russell Wilson round 3
Earl Thomas pick 14. (were there really 13 better players than him in the 2010 draft?)
Marshawn Lynch the scrapheap

These are all remarkable IMO.

That seems to have been part of the power struggle in San Fran too with the GM wanting the credit for getting the team in place and Harbaugh believes he was the one that turned those players into a winning team. The owner is in line with the GM in that they think they would still have been successful with a different coach but wouldn't have been successful if they had drafted badly and sided with GM when push came to shove.

The backbone of the 49ers roster was built before Harbaugh arrived.

Willis, Boone, Staley, Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Bowman all played with spectacular underachievement for Mike Singletary. (To be fair, Gore was a top RB actually before Harbaugh came to town)

Would they have reached 3 NFC Championship games under Singletary? I doubt it.

Harbaugh's use of Kaepernick was a great piece of coaching, but is Kaep's regression the fault of Harbaugh too?

I suppose if you take the plaudits, you have to take the brickbats too.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 31, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »

They sold him up the river in the end of season press conf too by saying that  lack of player discipline was a factor in his release. Its probably fair to say that player behaviour traits should be one of the first things a good GM looks at. They blamed Harbaugh tho.

For me GM is the most important job, there are always coaches that can coach but a smaller pool of really good GM's.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »

They sold him up the river in the end of season press conf too by saying that  lack of player discipline was a factor in his release. Its probably fair to say that player behaviour traits should be one of the first things a good GM looks at. They blamed Harbaugh tho.

For me GM is the most important job, there are always coaches that can coach but a smaller pool of really good GM's.

The word is that Thomas Dimitroff is at risk in Atlanta.

Which would be the most ridiculous thing ever if he got the tin tack.

He has built a massively impressively roster.

Injuries and the fact Mike Smith is a total buffoon are not his fault.

(EDIT: Does the GM pick/hire the coach?)

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »

Tal and I were chatting last week about Rex Ryan leaving the Jets at the end of the season. Ryan obv has a decent rep as a good coach, more on the defensive side and my feelings were he must be fist pumping hard as most of the decent jobs that would be available had decent O's in place already(San Fran misfiring but with talent). It looks like Atlanta are keen on him as their next head coach which looks perfect for him, he must be praying he gets the job and gets hold of a good QB and WR combo on a team that needs a big upgrade on D. He looks ideal.

The GM in New York got both of them sacked so it would be a blow if the Atlanta GM with a solid rep got the sack just as Ryan finally got a chance to handle a situation he looks made for.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 31, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »

Doug Marrone opts out of his contract. Reports suggest Pegula refused to give him a contract extension.

Depends who you listen to but could be a play that has backfired for Marrone. Pegula has made his position as head honcho clear now, even if Marrone gets a $4m goodbye.

9-7, eh? Good while it lasted...ffs
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:17:57 AM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »

Looking forward to watching Mariota v Winston tonight!

Was rooting for the Ducks, but after reading an article on Payton Poulin on ESPN, I was swayed Smiley

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 02, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »

Winston's mob getting taken to school!

Longy must be loving life, because this Oregon side is incred Grin

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 02, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »

Wasn't planning on staying up, but I'm glad I did.

Incred scenes in the Ohio v Alabama game!

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 02, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »

Winston looks like Byron Leftwich and sadly played like him last night too (the Jax version that is). Mariota looked all class didnt he?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2015, 02:57:26 PM »

Winston looks like Byron Leftwich and sadly played like him last night too (the Jax version that is). Mariota looked all class didnt he?

Yeah, looks like a very special talent.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 02, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

Byron Leftwichs senior Bowl game is one of the all time most heroic sporting performances I have ever seen.  Broke his shin and came back on and had to be carried between downs by his linesmen and nearly pulled off the comeback too.  Was gutted he never made it as a pro after that.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »

Byron Leftwichs senior Bowl game is one of the all time most heroic sporting performances I have ever seen.  Broke his shin and came back on and had to be carried between downs by his linesmen and nearly pulled off the comeback too.  Was gutted he never made it as a pro after that.

yes was amazing, you know you have blown it when the Jags cut you ;o)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: