blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Luton Calling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luton Calling.  (Read 115790 times)
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

Are you sure the pot was raked? Gentings don't rake split pots from the point the hand goes heads up.

Once the dealer has started to wash the deck their is no come back to a previous hand. If a mistake has been pointed out the floor can suggest a way to resolve the situation but it is totally your decision. You shouldn't be pressured in any way to hand money over to someone that you don't know for sure has beaten you in a pot. If you didn't see it you don't have to pay it.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »

Are you sure the pot was raked? Gentings don't rake split pots from the point the hand goes heads up.

Once the dealer has started to wash the deck their is no come back to a previous hand. If a mistake has been pointed out the floor can suggest a way to resolve the situation but it is totally your decision. You shouldn't be pressured in any way to hand money over to someone that you don't know for sure has beaten you in a pot. If you didn't see it you don't have to pay it.

It may not have been, I got one of the 50p chips in the split so I assumed it was raked when now I think about it it's more likely it was just change made out of a £1 chip.

This is what I thought, but this guy is a regular in Luton cash games and I don't need any potential aggro or some reputation as an angleshooter as it's easy for those stories to spread in a smallish town, plus the money is on the table and not in his pocket so there was a chance I would just grab it back eventually.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

Understand why you gave him the £10 in that situation.

Name and shame the floor. That's an absolutely unbelievable ruling which should be brought to his manager's attention. Completely against the rules of poker.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »

Debating heading down to Genting tonight. £30+6 with £2000 GTD and 3 seats to their £165 'Poker Link' comp around New Years.

The Poker Link is an interesting concept. It's sort of like those big bingo games where a few clubs are linked together over a screen and they all pool the money into one big prizepool. Three day 1s spread over Luton, Reading and Southend. Then everyone meets in the middle at Luton for day 2 and 3. £29,660 GTD or some figure like that. It's not a full £30k though which is odd, think there must be some GPS seats in there for the prize pool to be that amount.

Might play some holdem cash if for some miracle it is running, though after the abysmal ruling given against me on Sunday in a cash game I should probably boycott them as a form of protest, though I'll doubt they'll notice and/or care.

----

Drinking and driving action

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I suffer from quite a bit of anxiety. I find myself nervous around large groups unless I am a couple of drinks deep. So the first thing I do in a cardroom is sit in the corner and inhale a pint whilst pretending to use my phone in the hopes people leave me alone until my dutch courage has kicked in. Smoking area is off limits because someone will want to strike up a conversation about roulette or ask me if I'm winning, and being in a confined space with someone I don't know gives me sweaty palms. Unless I'm steaming and then I will talk for hours and join in with the nonsense gamblers spew.

This doesn't stem from any incident, I was never jumped by a gang of lads and it's made me scared to be alone in public or anything. I don't know what treatment there is for this, and I think I might get looked at like a loony if I went to a doctor and said "Listen mate, I'm generally scared to be out in public, I take taxis everywhere because of it and I won't talk to anyone unless I'm six sheets to the wind. Got any pills for that?". There's a lot of stigma around mental issues like this, and I don't want to get branded with the 'MAD' iron on my forehead.

The problem with this is I have to keep up a degree of inebriation throughout the night, and it's very easy to cross the line from 'talkative' to 'slurring pisshead'. The problem with slurring pisshead is that sometimes you think you can 5bet shove  and it'll work to the old mans 4bet that's 4 times the 3bet amount. The other problem is I find myself getting in weird ego wars with other young players. It's completely dumb, it costs me tournaments and sometimes I'm left wondering if any banter exchanged has left someone with a poor opinion of me.

The Pain Train

Got a feeling I'll be on the 1am train from Luton to Bedford after this comp (if I go). I've coined this The Pain Train, as it's the train I catch when I near bubble a comp and there's no cash games running, so I'm booking a loss and I have to evade the train station staff so I'm not out another £8 for the train back. I don't drive due to being in quite a serious car crash when I was 17 and narrowly avoiding decapitation by about 2 inches, which doesn't really help my generally skittish nature. Whenever I am waiting for the pain train, someone is always quick to hit me up for some money at the station. Always a sob story, always me alone on the platform with someone asking for a fiver. It's never a quid anymore, it's always a fiver. Even in Luton town, the local degens outside Wetherspoons want a fiver. It's hard to say "I've only got a pound mate" while trying to keep a tight hand on the wrap of £50s in your wallet when you know he doesn't believe you.

Anyway here's to the comp tonight - here's to the hangover in the morning and here's hoping some relatives come through with a few quid in a Christmas card because I'm probably going to need a rebuy tonight.
GentingLuton

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »

Hi Ransom
I will be investigating the situation you have brought to my attention as I'm
Not to happy with this myself
And find out why this decision was made,
I will return your £10 and also offer you free entry into tonight's competition while i find out the full details of what has happened
And ensure the supervisor in questions is fully aware of how to learn from this experience

Speak soon James Cardroom Manager Luton
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »

Hats off James, well done

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »

Hi Ransom
I will return your £10 and also offer you free entry into tonight's competition while i find out the full details of what has happened
And ensure the supervisor in questions is fully aware of how to learn from this experience

Hi James,

This is very much appreciated. While I would have been happy just knowing that it was an incorrect ruling, you're really going above and beyond and it reaffirms my view that Genting Luton is a great room to play poker in.

I'll be in around 7-7:30. Straggly beard and black jumper just incase someone tries to nick my freeroll!
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »

Hi Ransom

Nice gesture, well played.
GentingLuton

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »

I am not in club tonight but the supervisor will be aware of the situation
Just tell him your name "ransom" and it will sorted

James
GentingLuton

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

When we meet I will have a chat about what things u think we can do to improve your experience in club,
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

Hats off James, well done

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »

I am not in club tonight but the supervisor will be aware of the situation
Just tell him your name "ransom" and it will sorted

James

Free entry received with thanks.

Talked over the situation with the chap who made the ruling and all is well. I would mention he said I was under no obligation to hand any money over but it was up to me to decide.

Not my intention to get him into any trouble, I just wanted to query the decision.

Also does he know he has a twin who works at the G, or is he moonlighting down there also?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »

The players should know better though. Which was my main problem.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »

A little trip report for you.

Played the comp on a freeroll thanks to the great customer service at Genting.

Made two hero calls and was right. The first was me with Qhigh on AKKA3. The second seemed to really irk someone.

Raised pre to 2k at 300/600. I call in MP with 33 - obvious set mining seeing as I'm freerolling. Flop two hearts. Preflop raiser cbets 3k. I raise to 6.7k. I don't think that flop had hit him and almost every turn sucks for me so I'm trying to take it down now.

C-better shoves for 15k. I don't think I can really fold here. I go deep into the tank and find the call.

He has for a bit of a blow up and I hold. He then had a bit of a pop despite the other players agreeing it was a sick call.

My only reason for calling is that I've seen him lose his head before in these spots. Read was right on this occasion.

-----

In lighter news I left Genting about £1350 lighter. DC got the better of me and I bricked every single street as a favourite. But sometimes you lose. Sometimes you go down to play a comp you've been graciously allowed to play for free and you do your bollocks. Not nice to lose about 10% of the bankroll in one night. Not my worst loss though, pales in comparison to my £5/10 shot where I dusted off £3.5k in one sitting.

I'm surprisingly calm about it. It's just points on the board and we lost a few.

------

For any Genting staff snooping - give Paige a raise. She's too lovely to be involved with a bunch of degens such as us. She deserves more compensation than the 50p chips I keep flicking her.
------

Now I have to get on the grind and spin up £1000. Big heads up hyper turbo one time?
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »

DC hand - Superstud.

Blinds 100-200.

I get 10d three diamonds

Discard and show the three diamonds.

Everyone else is showing spades or clubs. A peel here with live diamond is fine if not a little spewy with no lo

Pull on 4th street opening a backdoor lo with my 4flush.

5th street is an offsuit brick. Get potted and one caller. Caller is showing potential 8 lo and other guy is high only.

6th is Two Diamonds and I lead for pot. Get repotted and called with the high only player showing AJKT.

Brick 7th so no scoop and it checks to me from the Ahigh.

Bet for 12k and 2 folds.

Only difference Id have on this is I think I try and get all my chips in on 6th as you have the likely best high and a good low draw and could get peoples stacks in drawing for one half of the pot? The way it played out they had opportunity to fold when missing on 7th street?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: