blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 51984 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »

Personally, I am offended by the fact that Finkelstein fella can't spell 'considered'.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »

Can someone explain why it's deemed ok to offend someone on the basis of their religion, but not on their race?

Surely we can then say we have the right to be racist, 'cos we got freedom of speech Innit'

Race is a fact, religion is a fantasy

Not for the majority.

The older I get, the better I was.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

Can someone explain why it's deemed ok to offend someone on the basis of their religion, but not on their race?

Surely we can then say we have the right to be racist, 'cos we got freedom of speech Innit'

relgion is a fact, Its there, the fact you might agree or disagree there is an almighty being which people worship is a case of fact or fiction

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »

Racism isn't offending people based on their race - it's making assumptions based on their race.

You making assumptions might then offend them - but it isn't the part that's racist

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »

Broadly speaking, it's the difference between what someone IS, and what they DO.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »

Not for the majority.

Its made up by human beings, its a fantasy to make them feel better and even if they don't really believe it, they enjoy the tribalism of being part of the group that eg mutilates young girls genitals (without considering why their fabulous infallible creator god didn't do the work properly).

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »

Broadly speaking, it's the difference between what someone IS, and what they DO.

I think the assumption people make is that religion is a choice, and your race is not a choice.

I'm not sure I actually agree that's the case for many people. I was raised in a church of england school/area, with agnostic parents and I believe that I eventually came to choose to be atheist. When I did, my circumstances meant it was not a big deal and they probably brought me to that decision naturally. However, for someone born in a very religious country with very religious parents and the threat of (at least) social exclusion if they change their religion, I don't think that person has much choice at all about their religion.

Such a tough one. I believe in freedom of speech and in particular freedom of comedy, but I can see why mocking a relgion is considered on a part with racism also.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »

Not for the majority.

Its made up by human beings, its a fantasy to make them feel better and even if they don't really believe it, they enjoy the tribalism of being part of the group that eg mutilates young girls genitals (without considering why their fabulous infallible creator god didn't do the work properly).

What has mutiliting young girls got to do with religion?  It is a regional thing, not a Muslim or Christian thing.  For example, it doesn't happen in Malaysia or much in the UK, or Iraq, but happens an awful lot in Eritrea (more Christians than Muslims).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »

Not for the majority.

What has mutiliting young girls got to do with religion?  It is a regional thing, not a Muslim or Christian thing.  For example, it doesn't happen in Malaysia or much in the UK, or Iraq, but happens an awful lot in Eritrea (more Christians than Muslims).

FGM is awful. In some countries it's ridiculously prevalent.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0At6CC4x_yBnMdGdZSVNGaktTMVhZNFlJb1hmaUppbmc&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=2&sortasc=false&rowsperpage=250

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jun/24/female-genital-mutilation-prevalence-uk

Estimated over 66,000 in the UK who have suffered FGM. That's not an insignificant number.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:31:40 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »

I think the assumption people make is that religion is a choice, and your race is not a choice.

I'm not sure I actually agree that's the case for many people. I was raised in a church of england school/area, with agnostic parents and I believe that I eventually came to choose to be atheist. When I did, my circumstances meant it was not a big deal and they probably brought me to that decision naturally. However, for someone born in a very religious country with very religious parents and the threat of (at least) social exclusion if they change their religion, I don't think that person has much choice at all about their religion.

Such a tough one. I believe in freedom of speech and in particular freedom of comedy, but I can see why mocking a relgion is considered on a part with racism also.

You're not born into a particular religion. Yes, your family and community might be focused around a particular religion, but you're not born as an adherent of a particular religion or faith.

For many there's very little choice as to what religion they end up following. Obviously if you're born in Saudi Arabia you're more likely to become a Muslim than someone born in say Brazil.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:41 PM »

And where it is practiced it is undoubtedly connected to religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation

Islam introduced FGM into Indonesia and Malaysia from the 13th century as part of its drive to convert people to Islam

many Christian women are circumcised in Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania believing it to be a religious requirement
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »

The percentage in Egypt - it's surprising, and scary, and sad.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »

Islam introduced FGM into Indonesia and Malaysia from the 13th century as part of its drive to convert people to Islam

many Christian women are circumcised in Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania believing it to be a religious requirement

Saw a TV program the other day (Panorama maybe?)and they said it's not a religious problem, but an African problem.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

Saw a TV program the other day (Panorama maybe?)and they said it's not a religious problem, but an African problem.

Exactly.  The vast majority of the world's Muslims don't practice it, 98% of Somalis do.  They always did even before Islam took over.  It isn't all of Africa either, it is just the bit in the middle.  I don't know the figures exactly, but the UK problem is strongly linked to those of Somali origin. 

The fact some people use religion to justify it doesn't take away the fact it is very much a regional thing. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »

Exactly.  The vast majority of the world's Muslims don't practice it, 98% of Somalis do.  They always did even before Islam took over.  It isn't all of Africa either, it is just the bit in the middle.  I don't know the figures exactly, but the UK problem is strongly linked to those of Somali origin. 

The fact some people use religion to justify it doesn't take away the fact it is very much a regional thing. 

The interview that was posted earlier went into the mutilation problem.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: