blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poshboy goes to Kenya. A 2007 Flashback Diary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poshboy goes to Kenya. A 2007 Flashback Diary.  (Read 22809 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »

So after school finished, I went on an expedition to climb Mount Kenya. Mount Kenya is the highest mountain in Kenya and the second-highest in Africa, after Kilimanjaro. 5199m is the peak.

It was an extremely tough and gruelling few days, but immensely rewarding. I went a bit higher later on in the year, climbing the volcano El Misti in Peru at 5825m! Haven't been close to that sort of height since.

Here's a picture of me at the top at about 430am. It's me, honest!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »

I then took a week long trip to Tanzania to meet up with Onesmo. Onesmo was our safari guide on our family holiday a few years before. He was also the guide for my girlfriend at the times family holiday. And in fact, he actually came over England, and stayed with their family, and it was that trip that brought Helen and I together.

So I felt I owed him, and he's a top guy and was gonna put me up for the week and show me around Tanzania. That was a pretty cool trip. We didn't do too much actually, just chilled and went out a few times - he was a big drinker, drunk vodka for breakfast etc lol, so not a lot got done!

I went (on my own) to watch a World Cup qualifying match between Ethiopia and Sudan! A bore draw 0-0, no atmosphere at all - not a memorable experience. Onesmo was busy hanging out with a hooker, who offered her services to me for £5...

Onesmo got malaria later in the week so we didn't drink as much after that...

My return flight was from Nairobi so I flew back there from Tanzania, and spent the night in a naughty hostel, £1.50 a night, with some koreans Cheesy

The final entry in the diary will be up next...

This was him when he came over to England, with my youngest brother, Bobby on his right, aforementioned girlfriend, Helen on his left. Middle brother Mark next to me.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
ashhen

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »

I enjoyed reading the updates - East Africa is an amazing place to spend time. I visit a village in Tanzania each year with various friends and keep a diary at tomintanzania.com - spending a period of time, like you've done, in one place is the best way to find out what its like, rather than breezing in and out on a luxury safari package.

Asante kwa kuandika hapa.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »

19th December 2007

I write this final entry on the plane home. Surrounded by the wealth and luxury that I have not been a part of for 10 weeks. There are westerners all around. A small screen in front of me. I am sitting in a comfortable seat, recalling, listening to my iPod, wearing designer clothes. I am nearly home.

What is more, when I leave this plane, waiting for me is a loving family, a large warm house and a loving girlfriend. I am certain that no more than five of the wonderful and happy people I met here, of which there were hundreds, have ever been on a plane. Most have never left their district, let alone their country.

How is it that they are more caring, kind and loving than we are? Where before, when presented with a 3 course home cooked dinner, I took it for granted, now I shall endeavour to picture the faces of the children I taught, who were filled with joy to learn they had a new teacher and would learn new things from him. I shall picture the children who walk barefoot for miles to fetch food or to go to school. The babies strapped to the backs of their mothers, crammed into a matatu, surrounded by unclean, angry locals, yet make not a sound, as this is life as they know it.

This is Africa.

As my taxi left for the airport, I had just woken but Nairobi had not. The hustle and bustle had begun long before I had risen. Perhaps it never stopped.

My final impressions of Kenya will last long in the memory and they were typical memories. Matatu drivers shouting at each other, the honking of horns, the passive traffic lights, ignored by everyone. The rising golden sun, magnificently casting its beam over the huge continent.

It feels strange to be leaving, strange to be going home. There are of course many things that I will hugely miss about Africa - the lively, helpful, friendly locals; the beautiful scenery and lush landscapes; the warm, welcoming and special school girls; watching local tribes people go about their daily lives; the joyous and appreciate people of the college; all the friends I made. They who were here long before I came and will be here long after I leave.

Amongst those treasured memories are things I am glad to be saying goodbye to, although somehow enriched the experience. Public transport - the hours wasted waiting for buses to arrive or leave are an inevitable trade off for experiencing life the African way. Throughout this experience, where possible, I have rejected tourism. I have always tried to decline special treatment. I ate what they eat, I travelled as they travel. I cannot pretend I really lived as they do - I did not. I received mostly 3 good meal meals a day, I had (mostly!) hot water, clean clothes, and a comfortable place to live.

As much as I tried to immerse myself into the culture, I was forever a tourist, a Mzungu. This, I believe, was unavoidable given the length of my stay. I experienced enough of the culture to be fascinated by it and to admire it - but I know where home is. I have not been persuaded to, as some are, emigrate here and become a local. That's not me.

This was an incredible experience, an unforgettable adventure and has surely taught me so much that can't be learnt anywhere but Africa.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2015, 01:21:50 AM »

Enjoyed that immensely, especially the last 'summing up' post.

Thanks Alex.

The older I get, the better I was.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »

Really enjoyed this mate, thanks very much for sharing it.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »

Really enjoyed this mate, thanks very much for sharing it.

Agreed also reminds me to keep a diary if I ever do anything like this!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »

Yeah was really good. Wish I'd have written down some of my travels.
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »

Thanks for sharing. It shows the value of keeping diaries and journals. I wish I had done more record keeping of my own travels. However it's never to late and I shall commit to keeping a diary/journal going forward on any little adventures I may take in the future.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »

Enjoyed that immensely, especially the last 'summing up' post.

Thanks Alex.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: