blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  "Do you begrudge paying BBC licence fee?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do you begrudge paying BBC licence fee?"  (Read 7725 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »

Yes. I begrudge it because it's so difficult, if not impossible to opt out. it's not good enough that you don't watch it. you have to disable your equipment so that you can't receive it. how the F*** do you do that?

No you don't Tom. People think you do hence the reason they keep paying it rather than face a criminal record.

That's my issue with it, 99.9% of the population don't even know that there's a real option out there.

So what do I have to do Matt, just tell them I don't watch it? surely everyone would do that.

I tell them I dont watch it and remove the aerial lead that connects the wall socket to my TV.

Once a year a guy turns up unannounced, knocks on the door, checks that the wall socket has no aerial in it, and leaves.

I watch everything via Sky. how can I plug that out?

The older I get, the better I was.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

Yes. I begrudge it because it's so difficult, if not impossible to opt out. it's not good enough that you don't watch it. you have to disable your equipment so that you can't receive it. how the F*** do you do that?

No you don't Tom. People think you do hence the reason they keep paying it rather than face a criminal record.

That's my issue with it, 99.9% of the population don't even know that there's a real option out there.

So what do I have to do Matt, just tell them I don't watch it? surely everyone would do that.

I tell them I dont watch it and remove the aerial lead that connects the wall socket to my TV.

Once a year a guy turns up unannounced, knocks on the door, checks that the wall socket has no aerial in it, and leaves.

I watch everything via Sky. how can I plug that out?

You cant. If you subscribe to Sky you have to pay the licence fee afaik.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »

Tom, if you watch live TV you have to pay the licence fee.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »

Tom, if you watch live TV you have to pay the licence fee.

I know. Tell Matt.

The older I get, the better I was.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »

I don't pay for it.

Don't have an aerial plugged into my TV and everything watched is on catchup as i dont need to see it live. Most stuff I watch is downloaded anyway. I even tend to download stuff thats on Channel 4 etc so I can avoid the adverts.

If I want to watch something live it tends to be sport so I'll either go the pub or to my grandparents lol!

Do you pay for the downloads from iTunes/Blinkbox etc?

If not, then it's essentially stealing.

Content theft is so rife online in so many areas and it's only getting worse.  Poker sites steal from each other, vines, bookmakers etc.   

It's seen as ok but no different than going into a shop and stealing a DVD.

Also the license fee isn't just for the BBC.  It's for the broadcasting equipments that all channels use.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »

I personally feel the BBC is worth it for the World Service alone.  Countless millions have used it in the past, and continue to use it, as their main source of news.  No other broadcaster has that global reach.

Another thing that I feel strongly for is no adverts for kids. I think its terribly important that kids have content made for them that isn't just product placement or sandwiched in between 'buy this, buy that'.  I was ill during my GCSE's and didn't spend many hours in class and the free content available on the BBC was invaluable

As I've got older too, I've begun to appreciate Radio 4 and BBC4.

It's very easy to dismiss the BBC because BBC1 dedicates so much time to Mrs Browns' Boys and Eastenders but if you go and have a look around there is so much good stuff there and for 40p a day it is well worth saving and fighting for.

Having it also holds other broadcasters to account.  US TV is appalling bar the few high quality big name shows.

Also Sky would be cheaper if everyone who watched illegal steams either actually paid for the service or bought the 24 hour Now TV pass for the games that they want to watch.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »

I don't pay for it.

Don't have an aerial plugged into my TV and everything watched is on catchup as i dont need to see it live. Most stuff I watch is downloaded anyway. I even tend to download stuff thats on Channel 4 etc so I can avoid the adverts.

If I want to watch something live it tends to be sport so I'll either go the pub or to my grandparents lol!

Content theft is so rife online in so many areas and it's only getting worse.  Poker sites steal from each other, vines, bookmakers etc.   

Also the license fee isn't just for the BBC.  It's for the broadcasting equipments that all channels use.

I have Netflix etc but some stuff I just can't buy online - eg most recent episode of Person of Interest. When I can buy it, I do.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »

I don't pay for it.

From his posts that I've read on other threads I think Adam is about the only person on the planet who pays for what he watches on TV.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

I don't pay for it.

I have Netflix etc but some stuff I just can't buy online - eg most recent episode of Person of Interest. When I can buy it, I do.

Ah ok then.

The system does need a change as so many shows are in that quandary. Hopefully netflix will offer a premium next day service in the future.

sorry for assume that you illegal downloaded; my point still stands tho.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

Totally worth it just for the BBC website, which is the official "Is my internet working test site'

BBC website is also my 'Is the internet working test site'. Whilst I love the BBC website I don't think it is worth the licence fee.
The tv side of BBC is utter dross imo
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »

I don't pay for it.

Ah ok then.

The system does need a change as so many shows are in that quandary. Hopefully netflix will offer a premium next day service in the future.

sorry for assume that you illegal downloaded; my point still stands tho.

Dont get me wrong, I do when I have to...but I do pay for things.

Its the same with music. Its impossible to get CDs these days especially for what I listen to (heavy metal), and I listen mainly in the car so I have to download my albums. In return I use the money I would have spent on the CDs to buy tickets to see the bands in concert.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »

Also Sky would be cheaper if everyone who watched illegal steams either actually paid for the service or bought the 24 hour Now TV pass for the games that they want to watch.

No it wouldn't.  

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »

No it wouldn't.  

Yes it would.

Much like how all high street shops account for stolen items, Sky will be aware of the cost of the illegal streams and will adjust accordingly, even if it would only be a small difference in the monthly bill, it would still be there.  Sky are an incredible company and I admire them nearly as much as the BBC.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »

Well I've had an android TV box for a while now and I can watch pretty much whatever I want free of charge, just bought the box for a hundred or something and haven't paid a bean since.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=64212.msg1977632;topicseen#msg1977632
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

No, big fan of the bbc. The website,radio, the current affairs coverage and documentaries are the best around. If it wasn't funded by the license you wouldn't get the quality of programming that the bbc does so well compared to commercial stations, you only to watch a doc on itv and think thank god we have the bbc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: