blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 696 697 698 699 [700] 701 702 703 704 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199112 times)
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10485 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »

Something that has been happening in the commons this week is the repeated calls for a look into the contaminated blood scandal which killed 2,400 people infected in the 70s and 80s. My wife lost her father because of it when she was 12, it has affected her entire life and she finally got over it last year with counselling and completing the munificent 7 run raising £1.5k in the process.

There is an emergency session to see whether May will grant a public enquiry into it and finally find out the lengths that people went to cover it all up and find who should be held responsible for essentially killing British men. There are rumours that they knew the blood was infected and gave it to people deliberately with the hope that they would somehow prove to be the cure for aids.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/i-m-still-fighting-for-justice-over-tainted-blood-time-bomb-that-killed-my-haemophiliac-dad/story-30385149-detail/story.html

And the follow up due in the paper tomorrow

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-family-sue-government-over-contaminated-blood-scandal/story-30432100-detail/story.html

Tomorrow is a big day for the campaign and with the 6 other leaders all signing a letter demanding a public enquiry I don't see how May will be able to deny the request. Diana Johnson MP has done a good job of pushing the issue recently and is the person who deserves credit for it at least getting this far.

So big day for everyone involved in this campaign today. The PM has announced a full public enquiry into the scandal. Massive news for the families fighting for justice the last 30-40 years or so. It will take a while but the truth will eventually come out

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: July 11, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »

Something that has been happening in the commons this week is the repeated calls for a look into the contaminated blood scandal which killed 2,400 people infected in the 70s and 80s. My wife lost her father because of it when she was 12, it has affected her entire life and she finally got over it last year with counselling and completing the munificent 7 run raising £1.5k in the process.

There is an emergency session to see whether May will grant a public enquiry into it and finally find out the lengths that people went to cover it all up and find who should be held responsible for essentially killing British men. There are rumours that they knew the blood was infected and gave it to people deliberately with the hope that they would somehow prove to be the cure for aids.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/i-m-still-fighting-for-justice-over-tainted-blood-time-bomb-that-killed-my-haemophiliac-dad/story-30385149-detail/story.html

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-family-sue-government-over-contaminated-blood-scandal/story-30432100-detail/story.html

Tomorrow is a big day for the campaign and with the 6 other leaders all signing a letter demanding a public enquiry I don't see how May will be able to deny the request. Diana Johnson MP has done a good job of pushing the issue recently and is the person who deserves credit for it at least getting this far.

So big day for everyone involved in this campaign today. The PM has announced a full public enquiry into the scandal. Massive news for the families fighting for justice the last 30-40 years or so. It will take a while but the truth will eventually come out

There was an (independently funded) inquiry a few years ago. 

I am not sure what you are expecting now.  Suggesting that people injected others to find a cure for Aids is a bit ridiculous.  Times were different then, but not Nazi Germany different.   

People in power who made the decisions were likely just incompetent and had no real idea what risks they were taking.  A mix of negligence, stupidity and people's inability to quantify risk.  Guess you can make the same conclusions right now for Greenfell.  I am not sure the truth will come out, the last inquiry couldn't find a lot of old evidence, as it had been destroyed.

FWIW One of my brother's friends was a haemophilliac and he died a long time ago now, likely another victim of this.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10487 on: July 11, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »

There was an (independently funded) inquiry a few years ago. 

I am not sure what you are expecting now.  Suggesting that people injected others to find a cure for Aids is a bit ridiculous.  Times were different then, but not Nazi Germany different.   

People in power who made the decisions were likely just incompetent and had no real idea what risks they were taking.  A mix of negligence, stupidity and people's inability to quantify risk.  Guess you can make the same conclusions right now for Greenfell.  I am not sure the truth will come out, the last inquiry couldn't find a lot of old evidence, as it had been destroyed.

FWIW One of my brother's friends was a haemophilliac and he died a long time ago now, likely another victim of this.

The Archer inquiry? A privately funded inquiry with very few powers? "Lord Archer lamented the decision of the Department of Health not to give evidence publicly - there were several private meetings with officials - and with-hold certain documents"... "I believe there's been a definite cover-up of the information," he said.... "You know, various documents weren't released in the FOI that came directly from the department.... "Campaigners had to source these documents under their own initiative. Well, intent's a very hard thing to prove but I do believe there was wrongdoing."

I've heard and read some crazy things from people involved. Doctors not telling people they were infected etc... Apparently my wife's dad was told he was fine when docs knew he wasn't they then tested him again a month later and told him he was infected. Her mother could easily have been infected in that time. It could well all be hearsay, but a full inquiry with powers to bring people under oath and to get documents from departments which wouldn't have been available in the previous inquiry may find something else. Andy Burnham who was partially responsible for getting a full inquiry into Hillsborough has been claiming he has evidence of a cover up, and I fully respect the work he did on Hillsborough.

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »

random punter spreads the message to the older voter

Click to see full-size image.

ahhh...the old Lib Lab pact is coming back.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:04 AM »

Crosby: on polling day 70% of voters thought May was going to win - Corbyn vote then risk free...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/11/tory-pollster-lynton-crosby-says-theresa-may-right-to-call-early-general-election

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: July 12, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »

10 thoughts about the PM's position

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40575473

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

Vote Leave boss: 'Moron' ministers talking 'absolute bullsh*t' on EU nuclear body http://bit.ly/2tFqWtd

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

quote of the week?

David Davis on chances of Brexit prompting domino effect elsewhere in Europe: "I don't think anyone is likely to follow us down this route."

you don't say!

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »

Theresa May’s premiership is doomed – her analysis is right but her solutions aren’t

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/07/theresa-may-s-premiership-doomed-her-analysis-right-her-solutions-aren-t

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

NAO boss warns Theresa May: Brexit process could fall apart like a chocolate orange http://bit.ly/2tgTNCj

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: July 13, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »

Theresa May's first year as PM: from a net approval rating of 31% to one of -20%.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: July 13, 2017, 11:35:41 AM »

Tory plotting latest from Forsyth https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/everyones-out-for-boris/

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10498 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »

Davis is well aware of this already, as he was the fav at the start of the leadership contest which was won by David Cameron.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: July 14, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »

Here's Why We're Probably Going To Have To Leave Euratom, Whether MPs Want To Or Not

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/heres-why-were-probably-going-to-have-to-leave-euratom?utm_term=.sv0PVgB6M#.dodAxy7dY

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 698 699 [700] 701 702 703 704 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: