blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 1103 1104 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198925 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16485 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »

The Hatton tweet seems fairly innocuous "Jewish people with any sense of humanity need to start speaking out publicly against the ruthless murdering being carried out by Israel."

Isn't that pretty close to what most people think?

It might be close to what most people think but it's akin to saying "Muslims with any sense of humanity need to start speaking out publicly against the ruthless murdering being carried out by Isis/Saudi Arabia/Iraq/Iran etc".

Most people would also agree with this second statement but many would protest it as Islamophobic - not least, most of the Labour left

Yeah, I see what you're saying. There can't be an expectation to speak out imposed on someone who has no involvement in politics and is just going about their life in the UK.

He probably should have said that Jews who defend such actions by the Israeli government should stop doing so.

Still doesn't seem the worst thing someone has tweeted.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »

The Hatton tweet seems fairly innocuous "Jewish people with any sense of humanity need to start speaking out publicly against the ruthless murdering being carried out by Israel."

Isn't that pretty close to what most people think?

It might be close to what most people think but it's akin to saying "Muslims with any sense of humanity need to start speaking out publicly against the ruthless murdering being carried out by Isis/Saudi Arabia/Iraq/Iran etc".

Most people would also agree with this second statement but many would protest it as Islamophobic - not least, most of the Labour left

Yeah, I see what you're saying. There can't be an expectation to speak out imposed on someone who has no involvement in politics and is just going about their life in the UK.

He probably should have said that Jews who defend such actions by the Israeli government should stop doing so.

Still doesn't seem the worst thing someone has tweeted.

yep, agree with the last bit, but also understand that to many Jews it would be classic dog whistle stuff.

Slight harshness I think in that its a tweet from 2012 - quite different standards apply to what people will call out as clear racism today versus the relatively short time back to then.

sola virtus nobilitat
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: February 22, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »

I'm sure you don't give a shit and your reply will be along those lines, but I dont see how anyone can say they will never vote for X party ever. What if all you hold dear aligns to what they represent or vice versa? Especially in a period like we are now where no one knows what the f is going on

Fundamentally the Tories will never align to anything I will vote for, as they're basically the party of 'as long as I'm alright, sod the rest of you'.

See the reply to Red Dog for exactly why I'd reached that conclusion by my late teens.  That will never change, and the current Tory Party is a morally bankrupt as Thatcher's version in the 80's.

Even Cameron's so-called "Big Society" was talked about at a time when they were imposing austerity measures alongside tax cuts for the wealthy.  See also Theresa May's 'poorest in society' speech on the day she became PM, followed by doing the complete opposite since then, particularly with Universal Credit.

For all they try to talk a good game, I've never actually seen any evidence of them actually putting it into action.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »

This seems a fairly sensible take on things.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/a-divided-labour-could-hand-the-tories-another-12-years-of-power/

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: February 22, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »

An excellent offering from the Daily Mash:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/where-are-you-on-the-brexit-thickness-scale-20190222182770
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: February 22, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »

No doubt in response to John Barnes on QT last night lol

Ah! The element of surprise
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: February 23, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

9 Labour MP's have now quit with many citing deep-rooted racism, Corbyn's inability to deal with it and his unsuitability for government

Tory party favour the rich?

Better than a party who favour one race over another.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: February 24, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »

9 Labour MP's have now quit with many citing deep-rooted racism, Corbyn's inability to deal with it and his unsuitability for government

This is so ridiculous:-(. As explained so many times, racism is a fundamental part of the identity of right wing politics, the Conservative Party is institutionally racist.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »

This is so ridiculous:-(. As explained so many times, racism is a fundamental part of the identity of right wing politics, the Conservative Party is institutionally racist.

In what way?

Obviously anywhere with a large proportion of old white men is going to have a fair few racists but where is the evidence of a structural problem?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: February 24, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »

In what way?

Obviously anywhere with a large proportion of old white men is going to have a fair few racists but where is the evidence of a structural problem?

I don’t think there’s a structural problem. I just think the evidence is that the Conservative Party is far more racist and bigoted by any measure than the Labour Party. Baroness Warsi say they are racist, the London mayoral election campaign was extremely racist, they are relentlessly Islamophobic, they were big supporters of apartheid. They are obviously anti Semitic. They have recently had MP’s suspended for being racists.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: February 24, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »

In what way?

I don’t think there’s a structural problem. I just think the evidence is that the Conservative Party is far more racist and bigoted by any measure than the Labour Party. Baroness Warsi say they are racist, the London mayoral election campaign was extremely racist, they are relentlessly Islamophobic, they were big supporters of apartheid. They are obviously anti Semitic. They have recently had MP’s suspended for being racists.

Don’t you see how rediculous your own post is? (Probably not)

For an allegedly balanced & intelligent person, you make some pretty astounding & insulting assertions. You generally lose the debate for yourself before it even starts. Rather than lash out at the entire population of Conservatives Party (and indirectly, their supporters), why can’t you just accept the fact of Labour’s anti-Semitic problem? Or if you can’t quite manage that, think about why you self-banned from this thread?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: February 24, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »

In what way?

For an allegedly balanced & intelligent person, you make some pretty astounding & insulting assertions. You generally lose the debate for yourself before it even starts. Rather than lash out at the entire population of Conservatives Party (and indirectly, their supporters), why can’t you just accept the fact of Labour’s anti-Semitic problem? Or if you can’t quite manage that, think about why you self-banned from this thread?

Labour has a problem with anti-semitism. It’s because anti-semites are attracted to the party because it’s leadership is opposed to Israeli foreign policy. A different point, directed to the Mantis post, the Conservative Party is extremely racist, not all of it though, obviously.

I self banned because I was pissed off with the trolls, doesn’t feel like a big deal.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »

In what way?

Labour has a problem with anti-semitism. It’s because anti-semites are attracted to the party because it’s leadership is opposed to Israeli foreign policy. A different point, directed to the Mantis post, the Conservative Party is extremely racist, not all of it though, obviously.

I self banned because I was pissed off with the trolls, doesn’t feel like a big deal.

Still trying to find evidence of the Conservatives being 'obviously anti-semitic'.

I found an article on the New Statesmen which basically had what you said almost word for word but their evidence appeared to be mainly based on what the Daily Mail says; which seems to be more evidence of the Daily Mail being racist/anti-Semitic rather than the Conservatives.

They also included the statement, "...Calling Ed Miliband “weird” was another code, and the argument that we should have had David Miliband, not Ed, because he looked and sounded better was a coded way of saying that he looked and sounded less Jewish...."; well yes, you can interpret it that way - but I'm pretty confident that most people really weren't looking at Ed and thinking his weirdness was to do with anything but him. The idea that preferring one Jew over another could still be related to anti-semitism seems a bit of a conceptual stretch from the start.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: February 24, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

You don't tend to get the Tory party membership actively abusing their few muslim MPs, or their Jewish ones for that matter

A large part of the membership that has joined since Corbyn became leader is a rent a gob, entitled, anti semitic rabble..in broad terms that is :-) Makes me yearn for Blair

I was pleased when Corbyn came on the scene as I thought certain areas of public debate needed to be dragged to the left - generally though, it's been a huge disappointment reading much of the left's output since then

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: February 24, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »

In what way?

Still trying to find evidence of the Conservatives being 'obviously anti-semitic'.

I found an article on the New Statesmen which basically had what you said almost word for word but their evidence appeared to be mainly based on what the Daily Mail says; which seems to be more evidence of the Daily Mail being racist/anti-Semitic rather than the Conservatives.

They also included the statement, "...Calling Ed Miliband “weird” was another code, and the argument that we should have had David Miliband, not Ed, because he looked and sounded better was a coded way of saying that he looked and sounded less Jewish...."; well yes, you can interpret it that way - but I'm pretty confident that most people really weren't looking at Ed and thinking his weirdness was to do with anything but him. The idea that preferring one Jew over another could still be related to anti-semitism seems a bit of a conceptual stretch from the start.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/opinion/antisemitism-labour-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn/amp/
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 1103 1104 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: