blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197596 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: January 21, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »

One reason why politicians (and many others) argue for nukes is because nukes are something that big, important countries have and Britain is a big, important country. We must be right? - we won that big war 70 years ago and totally kicked the Argie's backsides 30 years ago. We have that permanent seat on the UN Security Council like our global equals the US, Russia and China (though who let those French pricks in I don't know - Brigitte Bardot must have slept with someone important to get that).

We can't let piffling, minor, ethnic countries like Iran have them because it devalues our nukes. In the same way you don't like seeing some common little prick wearing the same nice coat you wear.

Vote UKIP.

Grin
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »

Jeez, is there any point?

None at all

Has been a good thread but time to leave it for good (mean it this time)

You should keep posting here Horsey, would be a shame if you don't contribute.

Just because people hold the opposing view as strongly as you hold yours is no reason to walk away.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: January 21, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »

None at all

Just because people hold the opposing view as strongly as you hold yours is no reason to walk away.

This, please don't go. If you think we are going round in circles on a topic, just sit out for half a day.

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:40 PM »

Can I interject, Britain's shoot to kill policy has been successful in the past?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to capture terrorists and garner information rather than even up the body count?

But as the old saying goes one man's terrorist is another man's dreamer.  

I mean, when Cameron and his chums were crying for Mandella to be hung some of us were on the side of Madiba.  Some people's hypocrisy knows no bounds.  

I mentioned earlier but what sovereign right can Britain have to the Falklands or Gibraltar?  It is these sorts of attitudes that hold us back.  

Personally, I'd rather not be a super power, not really worth the hassle, why can't we just concentrate on making the conditions for the people here better.  We could do this by scrapping our ego, and default setting of going to battle.  Let's scrap trident and be part of the majority, lets invest that money housing, nhs and more cops on the beat.  
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: January 21, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »

Can I interject, Britain's shoot to kill policy has been successful in the past?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to capture terrorists and garner information rather than even up the body count?

We have been mostly talking in the context of a Paris style attack, where the terrorists either have guns or explosives. I don't think anyone disagrees that if a clear opportunity to take them alive presents itself, that's the best option, but when civilians are in immediate danger, you may only have one chance.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 21, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »

ill leave your other points kmac, but this one

a terrorist is in the centre of paris, suicide bomber maybe, ak47 pointing at you maybe

how do you capture him to gain information whilst minimising the risk of civilian deaths from that point on?

your life as a law enforcement officer at this point isn't a box of chocolates the left wishes it was.

shoot him, kill him.

move on.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »

We have been mostly talking in the context of a Paris style attack, where the terrorists either have guns or explosives. I don't think anyone disagrees that if a clear opportunity to take them alive presents itself, that's the best option, but when civilians are in immediate danger, you may only have one chance.

How often has than happened here?  

Have we forgot about Jean Charles de Menezes - that worked out well for that chap.  Afterall he has a bag of explosives.  Just like Sadam had WMD's.  

Or further back, Bloody Sunday in Derry.  That worked out well, that was probably the biggest recruitment drive for groups like INLA/PIRA and to the best of my knowledge more damage was inflicted on England by those groups than anyone else with the exception of the blitz.  

As I have said, I'm not a Labour voter indeed not even sure I particularly like Corbyn, but if it was a choice between him and Cameron and it came down to who I trust most it's not even close.  Granted, if we get back to the economy, I wouldn't trust any of this Labour group but that is not an endorsement of the Tories.  Both are shambolic.  
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »

Just going back to Corbyn.

We can debate these issues but the bottom line is he just isn't suited to the job and is frankly not a leader.

Decent and genuine bloke? Yes

Good as a campaigning back bencher? Definitely

These positives about the guy are the reason he finds the pragmatism needed in politics as a leader almost impossible.

The sooner for his own sake and the sake of the Labour Party he is replaced the better.

Even his strongest supporters must realise it's not workable?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »

I mean, when Cameron and his chums were crying for Mandella to be hung some of us were on the side of Madiba.  Some people's hypocrisy knows no bounds.  

I mentioned earlier but what sovereign right can Britain have to the Falklands or Gibraltar?  It is these sorts of attitudes that hold us back.  

Personally, I'd rather not be a super power, not really worth the hassle, why can't we just concentrate on making the conditions for the people here better.  We could do this by scrapping our ego, and default setting of going to battle.  Let's scrap trident and be part of the majority, lets invest that money housing, nhs and more cops on the beat.  

Can you produce any evidence that Cameron wanted to hang Mandela?  It seems that we aren't happy with Corbyn's actual words, but we are quite happy to attach untruths and smear Cameron.  The left seem quite happy to produce any old shit on Twitter without the slightest attempt at fact checking and then accuse the press of doing the smearing.  You have to be above it if you are going to point fingers.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:25:07 PM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »

Have we forgot about Jean Charles de Menezes - that worked out well for that chap.  Afterall he has a bag of explosives.  Just like Sadam had WMD's.  

Or further back, Bloody Sunday in Derry.  That worked out well, that was probably the biggest recruitment drive for groups like INLA/PIRA and to the best of my knowledge more damage was inflicted on England by those groups than anyone else with the exception of the blitz.  

Well that's a straw man argument. When I said 'Paris style attack' what did you have in mind? That means an attack, in progress, where the threat to life is abundantly clear . How often does it happen? Thankfully, not very often at all, but in the event it does I would hope we are prepared.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 21, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »

Don't we all agree that in the midst of an armed attack, it is fine to shoot the attacker(s), and to try to kill them if there is a direct threat to life but, otherwise, we should try to disarm them?

We all agree on that - you, me, Corbyn, Cameron and everyone else. We are splitting hairs, but it's a non-issue.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 21, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »

Don't we all agree that in the midst of an armed attack, it is fine to shoot the attacker(s), and to try to kill them if there is a direct threat to life but, otherwise, we should try to disarm them?

We all agree on that - you, me, Corbyn, Cameron and everyone else. We are splitting hairs, but it's a non-issue.

Agreed that Corbyn said that on his rehash.  But I'm sure you'll agree he couldn't bring himself to say that on his first unscripted attempt?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:17 PM »

Can you produce any evidence that Cameron wanted to hang Mandela?  It seems that we aren't happy with Corbyn's actual words, but we are quite happy to attach untruths and smear Cameron.  The left seem quite happy to produce any old shit on Twitter without the slightest attempt at fact checking and then accuse the press of doing the smearing.  You have to be above it if you are going to point fingers.  

Don't know about Cameron, but there were plenty of leading Tories condemning Mandela in the Eighties. This argument seems a bit out of date now, though.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »

None at all

tbf the debate here is achingly polite so if Horsey wants to go he may, and he can also take his Barbie with him

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 21, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »

As I have said, I'm not a Labour voter indeed not even sure I particularly like Corbyn, but if it was a choice between him and Cameron and it came down to who I trust most it's not even close.  Granted, if we get back to the economy, I wouldn't trust any of this Labour group but that is not an endorsement of the Tories.  Both are shambolic.  
Surely tho, one can despise the failings that let to the de Menezes shooting and Bloody Sunday and still be unequivocally supportive of strong armed response ability involving shoot to kill.

It aint binary

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: