blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272884 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2225906 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: February 14, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »

Probably quite alot of the love for Borris is based on his buffoonerry.  That said there is something about him that is likeable.  I think, as well, that he says some things off the cuff that people take to that as some sort of sincerity. 

The fact that Farage is ahead of Corbyn and that Osborne has the same sort of rating as Corbyn makes a mockery of this for me. 

I wonder what rating Hunt would have received?  I don't understand why he wasn't included yet IDS/Gove were. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 14, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

Probably quite alot of the love for Borris is based on his buffoonerry.  That said there is something about him that is likeable.  I think, as well, that he says some things off the cuff that people take to that as some sort of sincerity. 

The fact that Farage is ahead of Corbyn and that Osborne has the same sort of rating as Corbyn makes a mockery of this for me. 

I wonder what rating Hunt would have received?  I don't understand why he wasn't included yet IDS/Gove were. 

56% of the country in last night's poll would vote Con or UKIP.

of course Farage and Osborne are going to have higher approval ratings than Corbyn

I cant stand Osborne, but I'd approve him more than Corbyn. His (Corbyn) rigid priniciples in the face of much needed pragmatism get my goat. Trident etc. Make him unelectable at a time when the oposition should be doing so much

I might stop short at Farage, admittedly....

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »

Russia killed more civilians in January than any other force in Syria (stats from Syrian Network for Human Rights)

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 15, 2016, 04:09:52 PM »

I wonder what rating Hunt would have received?   

Obviously not included for obvious obviousness

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-is-the-most-disliked-frontline-british-politician-of-any-party-a-new-poll-shows-a6874846.html
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »

ComRes/ITV News (#EURef)

REMAIN 49 (-5)
LEAVE 41 (+5)
11th-14th Feb N=1,105

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »

this is an interesting read

"Here's how game theory shows why Jeremy Corbyn will be Labour leader for a long time

The easier path is more popular: to always complain but never oppose.  It's not optimal for anyone but it appears to be the position most MPs are settling into. "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/02/heres-how-game-theory-shows-why-jeremy-corbyn-will-be-labour-leader-long

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 16, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

'UK Is A Cake-Filled Misery-Laden Grey Old Island' Says Emma Thompson As She Warns Against Brexit

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/16/emma-thompson-uk-eu-referendum_n_9241762.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

polling info for the last year from the FT

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 17, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

I've been really torn on the EU referendum.

Starting to think that Europe actually needs us involved more than they would ever let on.

We are net contributors, in European economy terms, we are what the second largest economy behind Germany? We have been growing when most European countries have seen financial turmoil.

We add weight through historical positions in NATO, G8 etc.

If we leave, they will still want to trade with us - they will need to. The EU still trades with USA, Canada, China, India etc.

I don't mind some immigration - what pisses me off is uncontrolled immigration not on our terms.

If we need another 100,000 workers, lets bring in 100,000 workers but lets choose who we want based on skills etc

The impression I get is that the plan over the next 10 years is closer and closer ties, tax regimes, etc.  

On top of this, isn't there an under current of concern about the whole project?

I'm more inclined to vote to leave and control our own destiny as far as we can.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 18, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »

In a leaders debate prior to the upcoming Irish General Election, Micheál Martin, leader of the main opposition party Fianna Fáil, tells Gerry Adams point blank "There isn’t a guard in the country who doesn’t believe that you weren’t in the IRA.”

(Guard = policeman.)

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 18, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »

In a leaders debate prior to the upcoming Irish General Election, Micheál Martin, leader of the main opposition party Fianna Fáil, tells Gerry Adams point blank "There isn’t a guard in the country who doesn’t believe that you weren’t in the IRA.”

(Guard = policeman.)

Every dog in the street knows that Gerry was in the IRA. 

However, hypocrisy knows no bounds when the 26 County Government are foaming at the mouth to remember the Easter Rising.   Different generations for sure, but the IRA of 1916 and the IRA of the 70's, 80's and 90's were all fighting for the same thing.   
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 18, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »

I originally opened the thread up to ask what peoples thoughts/perceptions were of Government orchestrated nudging?

I mentioned in another thread I have taken an interest in NLP, with that I have been reading up on various articles and stumbled across a book titled "Inside The Nudge Unit" and I find it fascinating.  Looking back now some of the ideas seem so obvious, some you could argue aren't exactly moral.  You can see how, Blair started the process, Brown and his pals stopped it sharply and Cameron and Clegg ramped it up. 

The whole thing fascinates me.  I need to read more on this.   

I'd be very interested though in hearing views from across the political spectrum.   

Does it play out locally as well as Nationally?  Is it more prevalent UK wide or does it take place in the devolved Governments. 

My ignorance would guide me to say that it is considered by the modernisers so would expect the young guns in the Tory Party to support it, the New Labour Proponent would advocate it I feel.  Possibly Sturgeon and elements of the SNP would be into it, the Unionists from Northern Ireland - particularly the DUP would probably claim it as Witchcraft, the Greens I'd imagine are very much into it.  I can see the remaining Lib Dems being split down the middle. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »

I originally opened the thread up to ask what peoples thoughts/perceptions were of Government orchestrated nudging?

I mentioned in another thread I have taken an interest in NLP, with that I have been reading up on various articles and stumbled across a book titled "Inside The Nudge Unit" and I find it fascinating.  Looking back now some of the ideas seem so obvious, some you could argue aren't exactly moral.  You can see how, Blair started the process, Brown and his pals stopped it sharply and Cameron and Clegg ramped it up. 

I'd be very interested though in hearing views from across the political spectrum.   

Does it play out locally as well as Nationally?  Is it more prevalent UK wide or does it take place in the devolved Governments. 

My ignorance would guide me to say that it is considered by the modernisers so would expect the young guns in the Tory Party to support it, the New Labour Proponent would advocate it I feel.  Possibly Sturgeon and elements of the SNP would be into it, the Unionists from Northern Ireland - particularly the DUP would probably claim it as Witchcraft, the Greens I'd imagine are very much into it.  I can see the remaining Lib Dems being split down the middle. 

give us some examples of what you mean by orchestrated nudging?

isn't that just PR and spin, and all governments, corporations, vested interests, individuals do that

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 18, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »

(Guard = policeman.)

Every dog in the street knows that Gerry was in the IRA. 

However, hypocrisy knows no bounds when the 26 County Government are foaming at the mouth to remember the Easter Rising.   Different generations for sure, but the IRA of 1916 and the IRA of the 70's, 80's and 90's were all fighting for the same thing.   

Couldn't disagree more strongly, but let's agree to disagree and leave it at that rather than dragging it all up.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 18, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

give us some examples of what you mean by orchestrated nudging?

isn't that just PR and spin, and all governments, corporations, vested interests, individuals do that

I will post up some examples later.  But I guess it is Spin.  To an extent but there is also some behavioural analytics used. 
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: