blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197894 times)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21615 on: October 21, 2019, 08:56:11 AM »

You're fundamentally missing the point: they already voted on it on Saturday.

Parliament agreed to only hold the MV after the WAB legislation has been scrutinized and passed.

That isn't dressing things up and isn't any sort of agenda by the speaker. It's simply the facts of the situation.

Strange then that the lead news report on LBC says Bercow will decide whether to allow the vote or not.

Seems the media are as stupid as me then.

Let’s cut the bull. It’s a political move.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21616 on: October 21, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »

Parliament agreed to only hold the MV after the WAB legislation has been scrutinized and passed.

That isn't dressing things up and isn't any sort of agenda by the speaker. It's simply the facts of the situation.

Strange then that the lead news report on LBC says Bercow will decide whether to allow the vote or not.

Indeed it is. By the government.

They didn't like the result of the vote on Saturday so want to have it again. Sound familiar?

The fact it is Bercow's discussion is immaterial. That's his job.

Blue text
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21617 on: October 21, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »

They didn't like the result of the vote on Saturday so want to have it again. Sound familiar?

Bercow can allow the vote.

To quote the BBC news feed "It will be up to Speaker John Bercow to decide whether to allow the vote."

It would be an overtly political move by Bercow not to allow the vote (although he will dress it up as parliamentary procedure).

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21618 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

To quote the BBC news feed "It will be up to Speaker John Bercow to decide whether to allow the vote."

It would be an overtly political move by Bercow not to allow the vote (although he will dress it up as parliamentary procedure).

No it won't. It's just following the rules. He will also act on advice. You can try and claim it is political by referring to it as such as much as you want but that doesn't make it so.

And again... why would allow it anyway? They voted on it 2 days ago and reached a decision. You've ignored that key point.

Blue text
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21619 on: October 21, 2019, 10:31:54 AM »

No it won't. It's just following the rules. He will also act on advice. You can try and claim it is political by referring to it as such as much as you want but that doesn't make it so.

And again... why would allow it anyway? They voted on it 2 days ago and reached a decision. You've ignored that key point.

We wont agree. The idea that this is just procedural is laughable.

When you stop and think about it, we have a situation where MP's are not able to vote specifically (without amendments) on a deal negotiated by the Government with the EU.

You have to ask at what point is it in the national interest to get our elected representatives view on the deal.

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21620 on: October 21, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

When you stop and think about it, we have a situation where MP's are not able to vote specifically (without amendments) on a deal negotiated by the Government with the EU.

You have to ask at what point is it in the national interest to get our elected representatives view on the deal

MPs were indeed able to vote on it without amendments. They chose not to. They wanted to see the legislation first.

Blue text
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #21621 on: October 21, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »

You have to ask at what point is it in the national interest to get our elected representatives view on the deal.

We should know sometime around 2.30ish if Bercow will let govt have the straight vote it craves on the Brexit deal today - it seems unlikely because govt didn't pull the vote on Saturday they walked away from it (negatived anyone?)
Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
·
13m
So theoretically Commons DID give a view on the issue, so can't be asked to give a different one today - let's see - govt is desperate to have a vote on the whole shebang asap to show momentum, before getting into days of scrutiny where MPs will try to make changes to the deal

Then Peston:
Parliament’s rules, Erskine May, seem clear that the Speaker cannot allow ⁦
BorisJohnson ⁩ to bring back his meaningful vote today. Speaker implied as much on Saturday anyway. Slightly odd perhaps that Leader ⁦
Jacob_Rees_Mogg ⁩ tried

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:17:54 AM by Archer » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21622 on: October 21, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »

Vital point made here. It’s not just that Brexit’s shit hasn’t hit the fan yet - it’s that voters have no idea it’s about to

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21623 on: October 21, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »

Vital point made here. It’s not just that Brexit’s shit hasn’t hit the fan yet - it’s that voters have no idea it’s about to

This level of detail is just irrelevant to people though. It's just remain rhetoric to continue the line its all too difficult and pointless. Pretty sure his 'horrified silence' is the average punters total indifference
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:22:52 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21624 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »

This level of detail is just irrelevant to people though. It's just remain rhetoric to continue the line its all too difficult and pointless.

It's relevant to people who "have had enough of all this and just want brexit done" though isn't it?

Blue text
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21625 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »

This level of detail is just irrelevant to people though. It's just remain rhetoric to continue the line its all too difficult and pointless.

It's relevant to people who "have had enough of all this and just want brexit done" though isn't it?

Not really. Im not overly interested in the outcome of the talks about future arrangements and anyone who posts here would be in the category of extremely interested in the whole process when measured against the gen pop.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21626 on: October 21, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »

Just watched some of news.

Comment made that Bercow may not even allow a vote tomorrow.

He has already pushed impartiality to its limits.

If this were the case and the Speaker denies the vote, he will have become overtly political.

Given it appears Johnson has the numbers, the attempts by any means to stop him are becoming more and more extreme. Total joke.

I don’t think is about being impartial, I’d say it was more due to parliamentary procedure. I wouldn’t be confident of the numbers either, going to be super close, but there was a switcher from the deal to going against today

Could you explain the bolded part for us Aaron? Maybe cite this parliamentary procedure you are referring to.
Explain it in simple terms for me though, because I am one of those less educated folks who voted Leave.

After  Letwin went through the government chose not to push the MV. I'm reading that was a mistake and they should have done.
Bercow likely to  rule out of order tomorrow as MV (i) same issue twice (ii) contradicts Letwin amendment which says Brexit related legislation must be agreed first i.e the actual withdrawal agreement and the procedures relating to that.

Doesn't suit Boris but of course the media line will be that he is being denied again and Bercow is a **** blah blah.  All good for Conservative votes when we finally get to GE.

Very good thread explaining this further from Lewis Goodall.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185989844281020418?s=09

Interesting read..cheers

sola virtus nobilitat
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21627 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »

I's crazy to think about the current situation and what certain parties plan to do. Listening to certain programmes where politicians forever changing their mind.

The amount of times that Ian Blackford has stood up in the commons and said it's time for a people's vote, must be a dozen or more. Last night, Joanna Cherry, also of SNP, said they wouldn't support the people's vote amendment.

The DUP are considering voting for PV amendment and customs union amend. That bung went well.

Nick Boles tweets he will support deal, but would withdraw support if bullying by No.10 continues. Why not vote the deal for its merits, not about your friends.

Lisa Nandy on BBC saying she would support a confirmatory ref, but with no remain option. We all know if it's deal v no deal, deal would win easily, essnetially pointless.

I agree with what Richard says, the prime minister and/or parliament need to come out and give a plan to get out, not keep on with a delay that won't achieve anything. There realy needs to be PV, GE, customs union deal or Jeremy pushing a no confidence motion.  
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21628 on: October 21, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

Has anyone ever seen Peter bone and Sven Goran Eriksson in the same room?

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21629 on: October 21, 2019, 02:36:20 PM »

Has anyone ever seen Peter bone and Sven Goran Eriksson in the same room?

THANK YOU

Had the same thought subconsciously mulling around in my head for months but not been quite able to articulate it
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: