blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199917 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: June 07, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »

ok exogenous shocks can happen to any economy at any time

but brexit would be a self engineered and voted upon economic shock would it not? a deliberate cost of getting to a position outside europe that people want to get to?

pretty much unprecedented that a populace would do that.

i do struggle with the idea that a several percentage point drop in GDP 2017-20 and 1.5m or so increase in unemployment (just to take a couple of issues where there is near univeral agreement) is a price worth paying for what would be a marginal increase in control over immigration and some abstract notions of greater sovereignity

whilst of course the head of the world trade organisation might say this, it could be argued, i note he is warning of "ten years of chaos" this morning if trade agreements need renegotiating

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: June 07, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »

I'd vote remain if we got say 50% of the benefits extended to workers in the other major European economies I  terms of redundancy, unemployment and sickness benefits, government subsidies to finance short time working during downturns. We won't get this under a tory government (or labour) if previous terms in office are the evidence) and it frustrates me hugely that we are hired and fired, closed/moved here more than other countries.

This of course is the.main reason international business moves here but it's a double edged sword at times as the low cost of closure/redundancy in the UK versus Italy France Germany makes our work force easy targets in harder times

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 07, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

I dunno obviously. The EU isn't very competitive. Social costs are something of a worry in the medium term. Few of the members that matter are growing at a decent rate. It  could all turn to rats hit conceivably. Probably won't but it's possible to make it somewhat academic to us.

sola virtus nobilitat
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »

but brexit would be a self engineered and voted upon economic shock would it not? a deliberate cost of getting to a position outside europe that people want to get to?

i do struggle with the idea that a several percentage point drop in GDP 2017-20 and 1.5m or so increase in unemployment (just to take a couple of issues where there is near univeral agreement) is a price worth paying for what would be a marginal increase in control over immigration and some abstract notions of greater sovereignity

whilst of course the head of the world trade organisation might say this, it could be argued, i note he is warning of "ten years of chaos" this morning if trade agreements need renegotiating

Sources?

I know it's been said, I just wonder about the 'near universal agreement'.
There was pretty widespread agreement that the world had arrived at a new financial state when Sir George and his cronies either side of the Atlantic were ratcheting up the financial markets. That turned out well.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 08, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »

While economic forecasts can be debated, it is 100% the case that the Leave campaign have persistently lied to the British people during this campaign.  This confirms that even they believe their case is so weak that they have to embellish it with untruths.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/07/eu-referendum-fact-check-david-cameron-leave-campaign-claims
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 08, 2016, 12:42:44 AM »

While economic forecasts can be debated, it is 100% the case that the Leave campaign have persistently lied to the British people during this campaign.  This confirms that even they believe their case is so weak that they have to embellish it with untruths.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/07/eu-referendum-fact-check-david-cameron-leave-campaign-claims

Hold the front page, the Guardian is in full-on unbiased reporting mode supporting the remain vote.

It's equally clear that we have been misled by the Remainistas on a number of issues too. The first casualty of politics is truth.
Here's an independent view of the government leaflet. Note that although much of the leaflet appears accurate, not all of it is.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/the-government-s-eu-leaflet-fact-check-video

We should not take anything we are told as truth until we, or someone we implicitly trust, has verified it.

Your standard, over-exaggerated response to something so unexceptional as a politician's obfuscation needs calming down for the good of your future well-being.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 08, 2016, 10:26:48 AM »

Hold the front page, the Guardian is in full-on unbiased reporting mode supporting the remain vote.

It's equally clear that we have been misled by the Remainistas on a number of issues too. The first casualty of politics is truth.
Here's an independent view of the government leaflet. Note that although much of the leaflet appears accurate, not all of it is.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/the-government-s-eu-leaflet-fact-check-video

We should not take anything we are told as truth until we, or someone we implicitly trust, has verified it.

Your standard, over-exaggerated response to something so unexceptional as a politician's obfuscation needs calming down for the good of your future well-being.

rofl Did you actually watch that video you put up?  It is basically strawmanish.  The leaflet info is "true" but here's something that the leaflet doesn't say that we think it should have said, so the leaflet is false? 

That is entirely different to the provable lies of the leave campaign.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 08, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »

525,000 voter registrations yesterday at the deadline, as everyone indulges in the great tradition of leaving it to last minute.

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »

with global investors worried about Brexit, Britain's economy is facing the worst capital flight since 2009. Here's the chart that shows it:

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 08, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

here is the story that accompanies that

worrying or alarmist rhetoric depending on whether you are leave or remain

http://news.sky.com/story/1708390/eu-osborne-warning-over-capital-flight-cost
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:41:01 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 08, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »

meanwhile in the betting markets, its all sound and fury but not much has changed

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 08, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »

Sources?

I know it's been said, I just wonder about the 'near universal agreement'.
There was pretty widespread agreement that the world had arrived at a new financial state when Sir George and his cronies either side of the Atlantic were ratcheting up the financial markets. That turned out well.

You sure about this.   I remember Blair/ Brown claiming the end to boom and bust and pretty much everybody knowing exactly what would happen next. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »

I was quite looking forward to last night's Farage v Cameron "debate".

What an anti-climax that was, fancy the PM bottling out of actually debating the issues.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 08, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »

I was quite looking forward to last night's Farage v Cameron "debate".

What an anti-climax that was, fancy the PM bottling out of actually debating the issues.

he did?

the format was poor, julie e was very poor, itv does politics very poorly

farage was tetchy, cameron won it quite clearly i thought (though he was nailed on his immigration pledge)

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 08, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

rofl Did you actually watch that video you put up?  It is basically strawmanish.  The leaflet info is "true" but here's something that the leaflet doesn't say that we think it should have said, so the leaflet is false? 

That is entirely different to the provable lies of the leave campaign.

How is this any different to the points raised in the Guardian article which you claim is "entirely provable"

"We have no ability to stop EU spending from going up"

Remain reply:  Well that's true if most EU members want that to happen BUT we want them to point out we teamed up with Germany last time to secure a reduction in spending (although we admit we couldn't do it alone)

"We'd save £8 billion if we left the EU"

Remain reply:  Well that's true BUT we think they should point out that this would be counteracted by a likely shock to the economy which would contract it and reduce tax receipts.

It's all the same - there are elements in truth in what both sides say but they spin it to suit their arguments.  You're just too partisan about the EU to see that both sides are guilty of dubious debate.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: