blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2226312 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: June 20, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »

I guess all the superior smart people are voting to remain and all the thicko's are going for brexit then lol.

The stats are open to interpretation of course

From an esteemed outlet too Wink

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/21/eu-referendum-who-in-britain-wants-to-leave-and-who-wants-to-rem/

Had a pretty decent education including a First in PPE from Oxford.

He was awarded a First in Philosophy, Politics and Economics and, after a six-month period as a news trainee at The Times, became a Fulbright Scholar at Harvard University where he was a Teaching Fellow in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. This was followed by a two-year period at Trinity College, Cambridge where he worked as a teaching assistant in the Social and Political Sciences Faculty and carried out research for a doctorate that he did not complete.[10] He is currently a Visiting Fellow at the University of Buckingham and a Commissioner of the UK Fulbright Commission.

Impressively tiny sample size. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 20, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »

Lithuanian poker champion challenges Nigel Farage to €1 million bet on Brexit: http://bit.ly/28IcK8M

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: June 20, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »

Lithuanian poker champion challenges Nigel Farage to €1 million bet on Brexit: http://bit.ly/28IcK8M

Haha, 'Are you arbboy in disguise ?'

sola virtus nobilitat
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: June 20, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »

Haha, 'Are you arbboy in disguise ?'

Glorified arber.  Easy to lay a guy an even million quid then have £350k back on bf at 11/4 for a massive freeroll.  Hardly balla doing that.  Sure nig will realise he can save himself £650k if he wants to win a milball on the outcome by opening up a bf account being the ex city trader he is.  Be funny if he said 'i can get nearly 3/1 on bf Tony fancy laying me a £1m/£300k for a little bit of interest?'  See how keen Tony G is then to pipe up and agree when it isn't quite so in his favour and he can't shift it for a locked in risk free profit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:08:40 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »

What has happened in the last hour for leave to drift from 11/4 to 7/2 on bf?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: June 20, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

What has happened in the last hour for leave to drift from 11/4 to 7/2 on bf?

Jo Cox tributes all over the news? 

If we are talking all day, there is a big swing in the polls;  leading to big swings for sterling (maybe I should have waited a couple of hours!) and the dose.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: June 20, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »

Man makes 15 minute video named Facts Not Fear, proceeds to explain how the other EU states are maneuvering to diminish our say in Brussels with the eventual aim of forming into a superstate on our doorstep.

Your man also seems to have confused 'sovereignty' with 'getting our own way in all international disputes'. Being able to dictate terms internationally as the Brexiters believe we will be able to is an imperialist throwback. It isn't EU membership that has diluted Britains international influence, its globalization that has been the great leveler. We haven't been dragged down, everyone else has been pulled up.

The sovereignty angle seems to be your main bone of contention David, would you prefer to see the Norwegian model where we sign up to the Schengen area? Something else?

12:50: "They (Remainers) see Britain as a small island off the coast of continental Europe that no longer has any place in the world as an independent nation state, that we should abandon our delusions of grandeur and accept our diminished status"

Facts Not Fear, eh? Smiley

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: June 21, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »

Man makes 15 minute video named Facts Not Fear, proceeds to explain how the other EU states are maneuvering to diminish our say in Brussels with the eventual aim of forming into a superstate on our doorstep.

Your man also seems to have confused 'sovereignty' with 'getting our own way in all international disputes'. Being able to dictate terms internationally as the Brexiters believe we will be able to is an imperialist throwback. It isn't EU membership that has diluted Britains international influence, its globalization that has been the great leveler. We haven't been dragged down, everyone else has been pulled up.

The sovereignty angle seems to be your main bone of contention David, would you prefer to see the Norwegian model where we sign up to the Schengen area? Something else?

12:50: "They (Remainers) see Britain as a small island off the coast of continental Europe that no longer has any place in the world as an independent nation state, that we should abandon our delusions of grandeur and accept our diminished status"

Facts Not Fear, eh? Smiley

I have a lot of issues with our continuing involvement with the EU. I've mentioned most, if not all of them at various times in this thread.
I don't believe that our membership of the EU can ever be anything other than wasteful. It wastes our time and our resources. It wastes our money. It is an unnecessary additional level of beaurocracy.

As a Remainista, can you tell me why we should remain without citing all the disasters that will befall us if we leave? Give me some positives about the EU.

I'd like to see the Remain camp being honest about the future inside the EU. They seem to know every bad thing that will happen if we leave, and are very keen to share their views on those issues. Given their obvious mental superiority it is surprising that they can't predict the future if we remain.
Or perhaps they can and just don't choose to.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: June 21, 2016, 05:49:09 AM »

As a Remainista, can you tell me why we should remain without citing all the disasters that will befall us if we leave? Give me some positives about the EU.

This is what has been so disheartening about the whole campaign from Remain. There has been barely any focus on making a positive case for EU membership from Cam & Co but thats what happens when you crave the support of the Murdoch press (not that they are the only ones) that keeps its readers on a steady diet of negative stories about the EU for going on 20 years. They've painted themselves into a corner and are now forced to fight fire with fire. I would have expected maybe one of the newer Tory MPs that had a more clean rap sheet with regards to views on the EU to be asked to step out and make the positive case. Tighty has mentioned on here that the Tory party membership is strongly anti-EU but I don't know if that goes deep enough to frighten MPs away from making the positive case lest in jeopardize their career in the party. Labour might as well be a telegraph pole on Downing Street at the moment so no dice there.

The positive case for me is all about cooperation, what has been and what can be achieved as a bloc. The free movement of people has been a great experience for me personally having lived and 'worked' in a couple of different places in Europe and the opportunity to do so in the future is a great source of optimism. Sheffield has a ton of EU nationals working and studying. Meeting people both at home and abroad with shared experiences of seizing the opportunity to experience new things and new places has been an overwhelmingly positive development. EU nationals here and UK nationals abroad just loving what freedom of movement has allowed them to do and I don't want to cut ourselves off from that. Personally it doesn't really make a difference to me because my dad is Scottish so if Leave win and Scotland have another indy referendum I would get dual Scottish/UK citizenship and still be able to enjoy freedom of movement, but for a lot of people that I know that wouldn't be the case and nobody knows what their situation will be in the event of a Leave win.

Legislation that has been secured at the EU level maintaining the highest standards in the world of employment rights ,consumer protection, environmental protection and human rights is a fantastic achievement that has a real effect on peoples lives gets blown wide open. What stays and what goes? The only answer from the Leave campaign that I have seen is 'we'll keep the good bits and chuck the rest'. Who gets to decide what goes where? Whoever is leading exit negotiations? Parliament? the Judiciary? In all of this confusion and uncertainty we can be sure there the big money interests will throw significant lobbying power behind the watering down of these protections and history suggests that they'll come out with pretty decent results.

Those legislative achievements give me reasons to be optimistic about how as a bloc we can tackle the problems that know no borders like tax evasion, increased antibiotic resistance and yes the T word. Sharing information and pooling resources on these common issues that aren't going anywhere no matter what the result is must be more powerful weapons than any one state can muster alone.

If you'll allow me to dip into the negatives for my final point because this is the thing that most concerns me. What does the UK political landscape look like after a Leave win? I'm no fan of Dave & George but if the alternative is Boris and Gove riding to number 10 on the back of the right of the party that bristles with confidence is a scary prospect, especially with parliament fixed until 2020. Whilst there is a left wing case for leaving the EU, it will certainly be the right and the hard right that will be spurred on in the event of a Leave vote and not just in the UK. Europe rejected nationalism and protectionism 70 years ago and imo is a much richer (economically and culturally) place for it. If we choose to leave the EU it is imo a step backwards, closer to the tensions of the past. Talk of world war 3 and wholesale destabilization in Europe is overly strong, but if we think about what the path to those situations might look like, a renaissance for nationalism and isolationism is a necessary step on that path.

I don't believe that our membership of the EU can ever be anything other than wasteful. It wastes our time and our resources. It wastes our money. It is an unnecessary additional level of beaurocracy.

The trouble that I have with this position David is that for it to be true so many people have to be so wildly wrong. Like in any situation where we have incomplete information I find a range-based approach useful. On the evidence available I just can't put 'nothing but wasteful' into that range, can I? I mean its not impossible and I could certainly be convinced that EU membership is a net negative in economic terms though I haven't seen a credible case for that (despite asking many times in this thread Tongue) so it seems unlikely. So I land on the EU being somewhere between slightly bad and very good. I can imagine an interpretation where the EU isn't very good value in its current form and people want to vote to leave, or where people just don't know enough to make a decision and could come down either way, or where the EU is viewed as a positive and we should stay, but the evidence to support a view that the EU is abhorrent and is incapable of being anything but....I just don't get it.

Apologies if this seems like I'm rounding on you for holding a different view but it is out of genuine interest not a flame war. If you're going to the WPT at DTD in October we can reassess over a beer Cheesy

I could go on about the last point (my vision for the EU if we stay) but I've been writing this post on and off for nearly 3 hours, time to hit the hay.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: June 21, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

I don't want a BoJo/Gove/Nige future.
I don't want a move that tightens our borders till we accept none but the wealthy or those that fill the current labour shortage.
I don't want us to lose the open character that saw us accept those who were ejected by Idi Amin and so many others since.
I want us to be able to open our shores to the displaced of Syria. To offer hope to those who have been forced to leave their countries as battles rage around them.
I want us to be able to say to those in Europe, "of course we want to welcome you, but there are others whose need is greater right now."

I disagree with you about the desirability of some of the EU driven legislation you mention. Not so much about the intentions but the outcomes have produced some unintended consequences. Zero-hours contracts for example became more widely used as a direct result of the Agency Workers Directive. This was a well meaning attempt to provide agency workers with an overdue measure of protection and has resulted in their losing much of the benefits of agency work without much, or indeed any, gain.
On consumer rights I think I'm right in saying that both the PPI and the endowment mortgage issue were prompted or overseen by a body of the EU. My issue here is that whole industries emerged whose sole aim was to extract as much of the money as possible by acting as a conduit between consumers and banks/insurance companies. Not the intention, but the introduction of a legislative framework to protect customers led to customers being ripped off by a new set of piranhas that only existed due to earlier EU attitudes.
Oh and the ridiculous situation where a new industry has arisen to exploit the market for switching electricity and gas suppliers also stems from EU laws.

It's easy to look around and attribute all the good things that have happened over the past 40 years to our membership of the EU. Easy to say "ooooh look how long since there was a proper war". Easy to say "we're making a more equal world". But we're not living in a peaceful world, nor an equal one. The EU works as a reducer to lowest common denominator. In the same way that going out with a bunch of mates that includes a vegetarian or two will inevitably mean eating somewhere that doesn't satisfy the majority.

I agree with you on the issue of international cooperation. But I want us to cooperate globally, not locally. I want to be able to negotiate over Tax Avoidance and antibiotic resistance with all the world, not just with 27 neighbours.

You may well be right about the need for so many people to be wrong about the wasteful nature of the EU. Are you familiar with the Hans Christian Andersen tale of The King's New Clothes?
Plenty of folks out there pointing and shouting at the King out there if you care to look. The EU may be +EV in monetary terms, I contend that it could be ++EV. I also contend that it is -life EV. We can agree to differ on that; your experiences of travel and the Sheffield community give you a different perspective.

I still want to vote leave.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: June 21, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »

from populus

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: June 21, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: June 21, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »

this on what to look out for during the EU ref results is excellent (if you're planning to stay up!)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/06/what-look-out-european-referendum-results-come

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »

from populus

Go the thicko's 
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

I'd love to know why we think the PPI and endowment misselling had anything to do with the EU.  Both were pretty much down to blithering idiocy by financial services companies.  I have a fairly deep distaste for the new set of leaches taking these people's money, but can't see how their existence is down to the EU either.    

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: